[Ext] userChrome.js [support discontinued]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Zoolcar9

Post by Zoolcar9 »

Alice0775 also made a mod on her blog (translate to English)

http://space.geocities.jp/alice0775/STORE/userchrome.js-0.8mod.zip

I don't know if it's working or not since I don't use trunk build.

My Firefox information | Add-ons | GitHub

"With great power, comes great desire to show it off."
pcinfarkt

Post by pcinfarkt »

Thanks Alice0775 for modi and Zoolcar9 for tip. It works here. Very nice.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b5pre) Gecko/2008031905 Minefield/3.0b5pre ID:2008031905
Cye3s

Post by Cye3s »

Alice0775 `s mod broken on
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b5pre) Gecko/2008032005 Minefield/3.0b5pre
zeniko

Post by zeniko »

Minefield users: As of today's nightly the original version 0.8 once again works. The only draw-back is that you can't directly get to the source from the Error Console (yet).

logan wrote:Still the odd problem with switch(location) { case browser.xul: ...; break; }

This code as written should never have worked. OTOH the following should:

Code: Select all

switch (location.href) { case "chrome://browser/content/browser.xul": ...; break; }
aronin

Post by aronin »

Zeniko: Just curious...

a. Why isn't this extension released on AMO?
b. Why isn't there a dedicated site (yet!!) for userChrome.js scripts like we have for Greasemonkey and Stylish?
zeniko

Post by zeniko »

zeniko wrote:The only draw-back is that you can't directly get to the source from the Error Console (yet).

Until that happens, just copy the following work-around to the top of your userChrome.js:

Code: Select all

if (location == "chrome://global/content/viewSource.xul" &&
    / -> (file:\S+)$/.test(window.arguments[0])) {
    window.arguments[0] = RegExp.$1;
    onLoadViewSource();
}

aronin wrote:a. Why isn't this extension released on AMO?

Why should it? It's nowhere near as user friendly as Greasemonkey or Stylish and thus only targeted at those actively looking for it. Furthermore AMO isn't really suitable for the type of questions such an extension will inevitably produce.
aronin wrote:b. Why isn't there a dedicated site (yet!!) for userChrome.js scripts like we have for Greasemonkey and Stylish?

Probably because this extension doesn't allow to handle individual snippets as easily - but more importantly: Because nobody's volunteered to set up such a site (yet)!
zeniko

Post by zeniko »

Looks like you might get somebody volunteering faster than expected...

For personal reasons, I've decided to step down hosting the trivial piece of code that is the userChrome.js extension and leave it to somebody more involved (who actually still uses the extension) to take over support and the organization of snippets.

Thanks for using this extension and may your own code snippets keep you involved in the noble art of JavaScript programming!

BTW: Should you be this "somebody to take over", feel free to post a link...
aronin

Post by aronin »

zeniko wrote:Looks like you might get somebody volunteering faster than expected...

For personal reasons, I've decided to step down hosting the trivial piece of code that is the userChrome.js extension and leave it to somebody more involved (who actually still uses the extension) to take over support and the organization of snippets.

Thanks for using this extension and may your own code snippets keep you involved in the noble art of JavaScript programming!

BTW: Should you be this "somebody to take over", feel free to post a link...

Ooops... that was completely out of the blue...

Just one question, forget about the scripts, since I have most of the scripts that I need... about the extension itself... is there a chance that it will require any change in the near (Firefox 3) or further (Firefox 4) future? What I mean is, is it an extension that has any dependency on Firefox code? or is it pretty generic and will work with any Firefox version?
zeniko

Post by zeniko »

aronin: The extension should be trivial enough to only break when the core APIs undergo major change. Unfortunately that might be the case with Firefox 4. Then again, Alice0775 or somebody else will likely provide a fix when needed... so: no worries!
DeathWolf

Post by DeathWolf »

hummm
has anyone managed to get alice0775's http://space.geocities.jp/alice0775/STO ... uc.xul.txt to work with recent nightlies?
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

DeathWolf wrote:hummm
has anyone managed to get alice0775's http://space.geocities.jp/alice0775/STO ... uc.xul.txt to work with recent nightlies?

It works fine for me.

Perhaps I think it to be Bug 330458 – Cannot dynamically load an overlay using document.loadOverlay until a previous overlay is completely loaded.
Try Sub-Script/Overlay Loader v3.0.6mod ( http://space.geocities.jp/alice0775/STORE/userChrome.js )

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-us; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008040309 Minefield/3.0pre
Nxqd3051990

Post by Nxqd3051990 »

Does userchrome.js replace Fission with a script ?
I'm noob, thanks :p
I've just found userchrome.js and in love with it :P
DeathWolf

Post by DeathWolf »

Thanks Alice0775! That worked much better.
Now it works except for the icons that do not display in the info page.
Nxqd3051990

Post by Nxqd3051990 »

Everyone helps me ?
pirlouy

Post by pirlouy »

No there is no script which substitutes fission. But Fission is an extension which worthes it. Userchrome.js should be used only with short scripts.
If you use long complicated scripts, you could have problems. You'd better use an extension which is updated than a long script which often isn't.