extension does not supply secure update

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
fbu924

extension does not supply secure update

Post by fbu924 »

Hello: using t-bird nightly 3.0a1pre, xpSP2, I tried installing webmail extension v1-2-5 and msg came up: "will not be installed because it does not provide secure updates." I also have nightly tester tool 1.3b1, which apparently is installed though the similar message "does not provide secure updates" appears under its name in the add-on window. So 1 ext installs anyway, the other, no. So is there a workaround to install webmail (and hotmail/yahoo related extensions) for this t-bird version? I also don't know how (in this t-bird version) to disable this installer action & let NTT install extensions anyway. There's a bunch of "compat" (leaving the word endings of -ibility/ible out) search answers in about:config, so I don't know which one(s) to change to allow install.
(admin: I never know where the right posting spot is for these nightly ques. Please relocate post as needed, where also best answers might come from.)
Thank you.
Paul L
SkyPilot

Post by SkyPilot »

There is a thread about that in Minefield. The same fix will probably apply to TB nightlys:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 15&start=0
The easiest way around that is to create a new BOOLEAN pref in about:config, and name it extensions.checkUpdateSecurity and make its value false. Then you should be able to install extensions that don't provide secure updates..
getsome831

Post by getsome831 »

Anybody know where the about:config is in Ubuntu Linux?
steviex

Post by steviex »

For Thunderbird in Linux... Edit > Preferences > Advanced > General and click on the Config Editor Button.

Thunderbird 3 will be using the same updating standards as Firefox 3.

At some point Webmail will need to supply secure updates.
Now you may get the Extension to Install, but it may not work properly. I suggest you check with the Author as to whether he has allowed for coding changes in TB 3.

WebMail Extension forum thread .... http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... highlight=
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
Comodo Dragon

Re: extension does not supply secure update

Post by Comodo Dragon »

fbu924 wrote:Hello: using t-bird nightly 3.0a1pre, xpSP2, I tried installing webmail extension v1-2-5 and msg came up: "will not be installed because it does not provide secure updates." I also have nightly tester tool 1.3b1, which apparently is installed though the similar message "does not provide secure updates" appears under its name in the add-on window. So 1 ext installs anyway, the other, no. So is there a workaround to install webmail (and hotmail/yahoo related extensions) for this t-bird version? I also don't know how (in this t-bird version) to disable this installer action & let NTT install extensions anyway. There's a bunch of "compat" (leaving the word endings of -ibility/ible out) search answers in about:config, so I don't know which one(s) to change to allow install.
(admin: I never know where the right posting spot is for these nightly ques. Please relocate post as needed, where also best answers might come from.)
Thank you.

The current versions of Webmail contain public keys and the update files have the necessary hashes and are signed. This should satisfy the secure update requirement.