SMTP problems - multiple addresses - XP - 2.0.0.12

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
buttercup

SMTP problems - multiple addresses - XP - 2.0.0.12

Post by buttercup »

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here. I have multiple email addresses from different domains of mine.

I can receive all mail just fine.

The one I use as the main/default account works just fine with sending mail too.

On the others - I have set up the other SMTP server settings under 'Outgoing server (SMTP)'. On the individual accounts, in 'Outgoing Server (SMTP) I have set the corresponding smtp server.

Still, when I try to send an email from the other addresses, I get the following error:

Sending of message failed.
the message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server mail.xxx.com failed. The server etc......
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

anyone? please?
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

What is the real name of the server? What is the sending status when sending fails?
Rod
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

thank you very much for replying!

What is the real name of the server?
mail.ideasforwomen.com (which is one of my domains)

What is the sending status when sending fails?
How do I determine the 'sending status'?
bkennelly

Post by bkennelly »

Do you have it defined to use SSL on port 465? I was able to connect to the server with those values.

(Your ISP may block port 25, to prevent spamming.)
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

No, all the SMTP server settings I have set up are port 25 and the 'Secure Connection' is set to no - including the one that I can send mail from.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

bkennelly - when I tried switching to port 465 and using SSL - I still got the same error:

the message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server mail.ideasforwomen.com failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator.

I double checked at my host too - I am using the correct SMTP server name and log in. On my previous computer I was using Evolution for email and was able to send and receive email on these other accounts.
bkennelly

Post by bkennelly »

Obviously, I cannot test sending with Thunderbird, but I was able to get a SSL connection from my computer:

Code: Select all

stunnel -cr mail.ideasforwomen.com:465
220 mail1.qwknetllc.com ESMTP
EHLO test.com
250-mail1.qwknetllc.com
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE 1000000000
250 AUTH LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5
quit
221 mail1.qwknetllc.com

As you can see, I can connect, and get valid responses. If Thunderbird gets this far, you will not get the 'unavailable or refusing' message.
Double check everything in Thunderbird, to be certain that you are using the right SMTP definition.

The problem could still be with your ISP blocking access, so check with them.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

When I try I get a pop up message about the security certificate - but then when I say 'ok', I get the same error posted above.
bkennelly

Post by bkennelly »

What does the pop-up message say?
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

It says:

You have attempted to establish a connection with 'mail.ideasforwomen.com'. However, the security certificate presented belongs to '*.qwknetllc.com'. It is possible though unlikely that someone may be trying to intercept your communication with this web site.

If you suspect the certificate shown does not belong to 'mail.ideasforwomen.com' please cancel the connection and notify the site administrator.

then I click ok and get the other error pop up message. (qwknetllc is the name of the hosting company)
bkennelly

Post by bkennelly »

When I try it from Thunderbird, I get the same certificate message, then I get either a prompt for a password or a message that relaying is not allowed, depending on whether 'Use Name and Password' is checked. If I cancel the password prompt, I get the same result you report.

Trty changing the server name to mail1.qwknetllc.com. That will avoid the certificate error, and may allow you to enter your password.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

I tried that, all I get is the second message - no password prompt:

the message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server mail.ideasforwomen.com failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator.
bkennelly

Post by bkennelly »

Are you connecting through a proxy or firewall? Something seems to be interfering with the SSL negotiation.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

I shut down zone alarm and tried and got the same message.

Since I can still send and receive mail using the main/default address with port 25 and without ssl and could do it this way on my old computer with all addresses (all at same host) it seems like I should be able to now too.