Getting your mail out of Windows live and into Thunderbird H

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
jsybalsky

Getting your mail out of Windows live and into Thunderbird H

Post by jsybalsky »

I have been using MS Windows Live Mail and I hate it.

I want to try using Thunderbird but when I click on import mail it only gives me 4 options:
Communicator 4.X, Eudora, Outlook, Outlook Express
I don't have an option for importing Windows Live Mail. What can I do?

Also I am having send problems. I have put the smtp in but for some reason it is NOT sending. I click send unsent emails and nothing happens.

Help please.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

To import messages from MS Windows Live Mail install this extension in Thunderbird -- https://nic-nac-project.org/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html

To install a Thunderbird extension do the following:
Right click the download link on the extension's home page and choose "Save Link As...". Then, in Thunderbird, go to Tools->Addons->Extensions tab->click on the "Install" button. Navigate to the just downloaded .xpi file and select it. Click on the "Open" button. The installation will now begin. You will need to close and reopen Thunderbird to complete the install.

Use the "Import eml files" option from the added submenu under "Tools".

What, exactly, is the problem with sending? What error message are you seeng? Who is your email provider?
jsybalsky

Post by jsybalsky »

I did add the add-in and still can't import the emails. It doesn't find any eml files or mailboxes.

Sending it asks for a password. My smtp doesn't have a password for sending.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Did you navigate to the location of the stored Windows Mail messages?

Under Tools->Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP)->click on the name of the account in the right hand pane, then on the "Edit" button. Unselect "Use name and password" from that dialog box.
jsybalsky

Post by jsybalsky »

Regarding importing, yes I did go to the where my emails are stored in windows and it doesn't see them as eml files.

Regarding the outgoing smtp- there is no user name or password selected and it is listed as none. So why on earth would it ask for a password? So that is why I can't send
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

What path did you go to for the .eml files? C:\Users\Daifne\Local Settings\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Local Folders is where they are on my Vista machine. Of course, "Daifne" would be replaced with your user name.
jsybalsky

Post by jsybalsky »

Regarding importing--
I went to the path I set within Thunderbird to save my mail C;\livemail Inside of that are folders such as Backup Contant jsybalsky microsoft communities proof sentinel storage folders then a bunch of folders with my domain name with numbers after it example blah 6e0 blah 8f1 and so forth then your feeds following that is so individual files text documents jrs file, pat file sqm file a xml document

If I click on a folder there are more folders and if I go down enough levels i get to windows live mail email message as the type of file but i have like 100,000+ of those files (which I am guessing are my emails and would be impossible to import one at a time)

Regarding outgoing smtp-
Still asking for password when no user if set.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

There was no need to backup Mail's files. Go directly to the path I gave you. Use the "Import All eml files from a directory" option in the extension.
jsybalsky

Post by jsybalsky »

I went to the path I SET for live mail to be stored as it is the ONLY path (as I stated when I installed Livemail I set the storage path). In THunderbird I selected "Import All eml files from a directory" I clicked on the livemail directory (which is where my emails are stored) and Thunderbird did NOTHING.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Do you have your accounts setup? Did you have a folder selected to import into?
jsybalsky

Post by jsybalsky »

I tried both the top level folder livemail (then one where all my email is stored) which has ALL the folders from Thunderbird mail stored as I mentioned above and I even went inside the livemail (mail stored folder) and tired a few of the individual folders including the jsybalsky and outbook and a couple of others. Thunderbird took no action, it didn't do anything. Nothing imported. FYI ONLY--I was able to import outlook express stuff from 6 months ago (from XP--pre new vista machine) but that is NOT my current email.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

And Windows Mail (and Vista) came out after version 2.0 of Thunderbird was finalized. There was no way that importing from Windows Mail could be added after the fact. Maybe they will have it in 3.0.

Are you talking about folders in Thunderbird? It doesn't sound like it. Try selecting a folder in Local Folders, you can create one for this, and then try the extension.
jsybalsky

Post by jsybalsky »

You must be totally confused. I asked for help regarding IMPORTING Windows Live Mail into Thunderbird.
I was told to "To import messages from MS Windows Live Mail install this extension in Thunderbird -- https://nic-nac-project.org/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html"

I did download it and installed it in Thunderbird it gave me the options to "Import All eml files from a directory" NOW if the pointer I was given https://nic-nac-project.org/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html isn't for importing Windows Live Mail then that is what I am still seeking help on.

FYI-Thunderbird 2.0.0.9 (20071031), Windows Live Mail Version 2008 (Build 12.0.1606) is what I have on my vista machine.

So can ANYONE help me get my Windows Live Mail into Thunderbird.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

I'm not confused at all. I am telling you to create a folder in Thunderbird's Local Folders to import into.

Your post sounded like you were talking about selecting folders in Windows and I'm telling you to select a folder in Thunderbird, in it's folder pane on the left.

Getting snotty doesn't really help your cause...
jsybalsky

Post by jsybalsky »

I am not getting snotty. I hate emails and bulletin boards because people jump to the wrong conclusion all the time. You made some statements that didn't appear to my reading of them as connected with my problem....nothing more nothing less.

Back to the issue---------

Okay here is what I have done. I downloaded and installed the add in Thunderbird from https://nic-nac-project.org/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html
When I open Thunderbird and click on Tools I get the options to Import and Import/Export in mbox/eml format, in Import/Export in mbox/eml format I have options to export folder or export all messages in folder or import mbox or import xml file or import all eml files from a directory.

If I choose import all eml files from a directory it gives me a browse folder option so I can select a directory to search the files. If I pick/click livemail or a folder in livemail jsybalsky and click okay. Nothing further occurs.

If I click on a folder inside Thunderbird (in the left panel) it builds a summary (doesn't matter if I click on a folder before or after I try the import)

If I go down a few levels within my livemail folder (where all emails are stored) and pick random folder and go in it and click on one of the many folders it will import those.

I would imagine there has to bee a simpler way to import all emails at once as it would take forever one folder buried down the line at a time.

Oh and the files it imported made the dates of the imports 2094 and 2035

As for the send issue-It is still asking for a password to send.

And it's not receiving emails either. I have triple checked the settings and they match what I use in LIVEMAIL and the mail is received....sigh
Last edited by jsybalsky on April 12th, 2008, 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.