Firefox can't access certain pages!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Siphen

Firefox can't access certain pages!

Post by Siphen »

Just recently Firefox started having some problems. I don't think it updated recently and I have already turned off all my firewalls, etc. to get past that problem. I'll explain exacly what it is that isn't working.

-I am connected to the internet, I can tell this by IE working and Firefox.
-All pages work in IE and I have no problems there.
-Firefox is connected and works! (I know that sounds weird but here's the problem) Not all pages will load!

For instance, when starting firefox it will come up to the firefox google start page, however if I type anything into the google search bar and press enter nothing will happen, I can see the progress bar for getting onto a website, but it's empty and that's it. However I can stilll get on other websites like MSN and Youtube just fine. I do have a problem with getting on Myspace with both IE and Firefox, but I think it's always been a problem for IE on my pc.

I have tried doing clean re-install, making new profiles, deleting all my addons. At this point I have Firefox running like I just downloaded it for the first time.

Could anyone please help me, or at least point me in the direction of what I should do? Thank you.

Post by Guest »

I have attempted making test profiles, running in safe mode, checking the error console and nothing is coming up. I know it isn't a firewall cause otherwise I wouldn't be able to get on any websites with Firefox to begin with.

Does anyone else have this problem, or solved it?
oakleyjoe

same here

Post by oakleyjoe »

I'm having same problem. Some pages load just fine. MySpace nothing, Hotmail nothing, I havent made any adjustments to my firewall, it password protected so my kids couldnt of. Ive tried shutting it off. Still nothing.I don't know man.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Clear your cache. Tools --> Options --> Advanced --> Network, Clear Now button.

If you are still having problems delete any cookies that have to do with the site. Tools --> Options --> Privacy, Show Cookies button

If you are not using Windows see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Menu_differen ... x,_and_Mac
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
oakleyjoe

Post by oakleyjoe »

Yeah I've cleared all cookies.Still nothing. I've created new profile. Nothing. I have firefox all access on firewall.
spirit_s

Post by spirit_s »

I have the same problem too, probably from April 13 on. I cleared the cookies, even re-installed firefox, but nothing helped. It's odd that only certain sites can't load. I have no problem with YouTube or Wikipedia for example, but I can't google anything, and a number of sites won't load. And I hear other people are having a similar problem with mozilla since yesterday or the day before yesterday...
Derek Shaw

Re: Firefox can't access certain pages!

Post by Derek Shaw »

Siphen wrote:Just recently Firefox started having some problems. I don't think it updated recently and I have already turned off all my firewalls, etc. to get past that problem. I'll explain exacly what it is that isn't working.

-I am connected to the internet, I can tell this by IE working and Firefox.
-All pages work in IE and I have no problems there.
-Firefox is connected and works! (I know that sounds weird but here's the problem) Not all pages will load!

For instance, when starting firefox it will come up to the firefox google start page, however if I type anything into the google search bar and press enter nothing will happen, I can see the progress bar for getting onto a website, but it's empty and that's it. However I can stilll get on other websites like MSN and Youtube just fine. I do have a problem with getting on Myspace with both IE and Firefox, but I think it's always been a problem for IE on my pc.

I have tried doing clean re-install, making new profiles, deleting all my addons. At this point I have Firefox running like I just downloaded it for the first time.

Could anyone please help me, or at least point me in the direction of what I should do? Thank you.

Do you have RealPlayer and have you upgraded this to version 11?

This installs an Add-on: RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin in Firefox.
After I updated to RealPlayer 11, I noticed that Google was behaving in very strange ways, can't remember now exactly how but it certainly involved not carrying out some searches. When I investigated, I found this new Plugin. Disabling it cured my problems with Google. Could this also be your problem?

The Plugin tells you if what you are watching may be downloaded and assists the downloading if required. However, both can be done without the Plugin but require an extra mouse click or two, so disabling it is no real disadvantage (sorry about the completely unintentional pun).

Internet Explorer is unaffected.

Derek Shaw

Post by Guest »

I am having the EXACT same problem!

And Derek Shaw, i've checked and do not have RealPlayer, so i doubt that's the problem.

I've also noticed that Yahoo as well doesn't work, amongst a lot of other sites.
Daniel McGarrity

Google Yahoo, and all search engines in the Firefox toolbar

Post by Daniel McGarrity »

So, I tried to reload, delete plug-ins, and pretty much every standard thing there is.
Interesting note, several applications (legal ones-paid for) lost their activation key. AND my AV-BitDefender had to be removed then reinstalled. Now whole system is slow.

Oh, and absolutely NO queries will process in Google, and I'm getting popups where none were before, even in IE.
I think there is either a renegade plug-in or some kind of bug in one of the existing modules, if that's what you call it, in the firefox latest releases. It clearly seems to be reacting to the plug-in with the search engines and that sort of thing.
But, I can connect to the Google home page, but not Yahoo. Don't really use any others.

Firefox has been crashing about 50% of the time I try to use it.
My AV picked up a trojan. Vundo.EGl or Vundo.EG1 anyone heard of this? Could this be a problem?
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Certainly could be. Would be the place where I would start.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Gangleri

Yep, same here

Post by Gangleri »

I've had this problem since the 13th of April - IE is affected too. I've cleared my cache, done a full AV-sweep, run an ad-aware cleanup, and RegEdit. I've also tried running in safe-mode and I've cleaned out my cache.
To me it sounds like a hijacker-Trojan, but the weird thing is that it doesn't redirect, it only loads and loads forever.

Sites that have are affected for me are, so far: Google, Hotmail, Facebook, and a few P2P-sites.

Hmm. Wasn't the anniversary of that hack-attack on Estonia this week? Maybe some node has been overloaded by a new attack or something... Where are the rest of you people from? I'm in Sweden.
Lordspamulon

Post by Lordspamulon »

@ Gangleri

I'm in England.
Daniel McGarrity

Post by Daniel McGarrity »

I've noticed it on P2P sites as well as the previously mentioned sites.

So now what?
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Gangleri

If it is happening to both Firefox and IE then it is a system issue.

Everyone else. If your AV is reporting a problem then that issue needs to be delete with first.

If you are having problems reaching myspace what happens when you put 216.178.38.119 in the address bar? Did you reach myspace using that dot quad?
Post wrangler
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

BTW, if you are only having troubles with P2P sites the problem could easy be they are getting blasted for one reason or another or they are simply down.
Post wrangler