Can Send But Not Receive Email (Tbird in Ubuntu)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
I Roll

Can Send But Not Receive Email (Tbird in Ubuntu)

Post by I Roll »

I'm running Thunderbird version 2.0.0.12 in Ubuntu 7.10. I can receive mail but not send and I'm never prompted for a password (except for the first time I sent mail). The port settings are correct at 110 and 25. Security settings are not required (no secure connection and no secure authentication is needed to receive).

I notice that in Edit|Preferences, under the password tab, if I go to Edit Saved Passwords, there is no site and username entry under the Passwords Saved tab. I'm not sure this matters, but I have seen my friends setup and he has access to that on his computer.

I was thinking that either a password file is corrupt or maybe Thunderbird looks elsewhere in the system for the information..?

I'm new to linux (Ubuntu) and could use some ideas. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing to no avail. Any pointers would be helpful.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

* What is the exact wording of the error message you are receiving?
* Do you have any extensions installed?
* What kind of mail - POP, IMAP?
* Is your mail service from an ISP, corporate e-mail system or Web-based?
* Are you using an antivirus and/or a firewall program? Which ones?
* Without divulging your e-mail address or account name, what are your server settings, including server name and port number for:
+ Tools>Account Settings>*account*>Server Settings?
HalW

Post by HalW »

Daifne wrote:* What is the exact wording of the error message you are receiving?
* Do you have any extensions installed?
* What kind of mail - POP, IMAP?
* Is your mail service from an ISP, corporate e-mail system or Web-based?
* Are you using an antivirus and/or a firewall program? Which ones?
* Without divulging your e-mail address or account name, what are your server settings, including server name and port number for:
+ Tools>Account Settings>*account*>Server Settings?

Having same problem with Mepis using T-Bird v2.0.0.6.

mail type is POP
mail service is from addr.com
I believe Guardog firewll is running
server name: mail.addr.com smtp port-587
Hal
I Roll

Post by I Roll »

I never get any error messages. At the bottom left of the window it says I’m connected to the mail server. However, I am never prompted for a password to retrieve mail.
I never loaded any extensions but that may not mean that they don’t exist. How can I check to be sure?
The email server is POP. It is corporate email system but it is hosted by a third party (I can log into web mail or retrieve and send from a Windows box running Outlook).
No antivirus or firewall software is loaded.
Server name is mail.paxen.com for both incoming and outgoing mail and the ports are 110 and 25. Security settings are set to "Never" for Use Secure Connection and the Use secure connection is not checked.
I have checked boxes for: Check for new messages at start, check every 10 minutes, automatically download messages and leave messages on server.

I have set up my email on Windows boxes and never had any problems but Linux has proven to be a challenge for me. The settings noted above do work in Windows and on another Ubuntu box that I’ve seen working. I’m anxious to learn more about Linux (and I guess this is my opportunity).
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

HalW,
These connection problems have many different variables. Because of this, these topics can get very confused if more than one person is helped. Please start a new topic so we can help both of you better. Thanks.

I Roll,
I'm going to add Linux to your subject. Let's get another Linux user in here. I haven't tried it yet.

Edit: Oops. You already have it there. My bad. ;-)
HalW

Post by HalW »

Daifne wrote:HalW,
These connection problems have many different variables. Because of this, these topics can get very confused if more than one person is helped. Please start a new topic so we can help both of you better. Thanks. ;-)

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Hal
I Roll

Post by I Roll »

I tried a setting up email with Evolution and had the same result. I cannot receive email but I can send. I thought that it may be a Ubuntu issue so I decided to start with a fresh install of Ubuntu. After installing the OS I reinstalled Thunderbird and it never even asked me for any passwords so I still have the same issue. When I look in password manager (in Thunderbird) it doesn't show any passwords as being saved. Is it possible that my login pwd for Ubuntu needs to be the same as my email pwd?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

No. Does it work in Evolution after the reinstall?
bkennelly

Post by bkennelly »

Check that you can connect from a shell: telnet mail.paxen.com 110.

Entering CAPA from the prompt shows that the server does support secure authentication, so you might want to try enabling that option.
I Roll

Post by I Roll »

I just tried the telnet command and was able to connect. The message after indicating that I was connected read: +Ok Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 POP3 version 6.5.7638.1 (paxexch.paxen.local) ready.

I just tried it with secure authentication enabled and no luck.

Forgot to mention that since the reinstall I cannot send or receive. I'll try Evolution as well.

Thanks for the help, all.
bkennelly

Post by bkennelly »

Do you normally need to log in with a domain? (E.g., MYDOMAIN\userid )

If so, try including the domain in the username on the Server Settings.
I Roll

Post by I Roll »

I have never had to login with the domain\userid nomenclature. I will try it.

I installed Evolution again and was able to send but not receive which is the same as before. I have tried every combination of security, server type and login and cannot receive mail.
I Roll

Post by I Roll »

I have tried running tcpdump on port 110. I then opened Thunderbird and hit the get mail command and the telnet session showed activity. I guess that suggests that Thunderbird is finding the mail server or that it verifies that the server is working correctly. I can do the same with the same result using Evolution but neither Thunderbird or Evolution will pick up the mail. I have no problems retrieving and sending mail from other computers (running Windows/Outlook or using webmail) and I have looked at another system running Thunderbird in Ubuntu and the email settings (which do work) were applied the same way. Re-installing everything from the email client to the OS don't seem to have any impact.

Any ideas about how to further troubleshoot the issue?
I Roll

Post by I Roll »

Does anyone know of a resource that could help me trouble shoot this problem?
bkennelly

Post by bkennelly »

Try logging the POP protocol activity in Thunderbird: http://www.mozilla.org/quality/mailnews/mail-troubleshoot.html#pop
Maybe something will show up in the log to indicate where it is breaking down.