What happened to AMO!!!!

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Here is a reply I just wrote to a user complaint:
> And why not make mozdev sites more accessible and easier to find?

There used to be a link to each extension homepage on AMO right
at the top of each extension entry. OMG I just checked and you
have to scroll all the way down to Advanced details, *then*
click on expand, *then* you can see the links to our FAQ and to
our mozdev homepage.

Phil
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

fligtar wrote: Unfortunately, I still don't know if 3.2 makes it easier for unfamiliar users because, again, they don't start threads about AMO's incompetence every time there's an end-of-the-world change. As we continue to improve the site, some of the more advanced options will be available to logged-in users, because that's the best way we have right now to determine how familiar someone is with add-ons and the website.

From the department of cheap irony. Check out the join dates of the two fellows who started the thread....
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

I guess the only way to find updates nowadays, is Tools/Add-ons/check for updates, that's the only way I found out that Adblock Plus was updated on April 9th.

Edit: Nowhere to be found in Alerts & Updates.
Finally found it by going to Privacy& Security 'Last Updated First'!!!
Sigh.....
Last edited by mightyglydd on April 15th, 2008, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
BernG

Post by BernG »

What a clueless bunch. Telling us to go to several blogs, when this forum is the resource which will give them all the user feedback they need. Did they just discover this forum?

Then to make it worse, their new design left so much to be desired. A real backward step. I really don't remember seeing complaints about the old AMO site.

Were the changes made because it was something new to do, simply for the sake of change? Are these AMO design guys on the the payroll? Because if they are, a lot of money was pissed away with a serious lack of supervision and QA.

Any organization that spends money on junk like that . . .
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Their arrogance is astounding, and lack of 'marketing skills', sadly, laughable.
Take the main page, say I'm in the business of selling cars, hardly going to attract customers by displaying spare parts am I?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
KLB

Post by KLB »

BernG wrote:Are these AMO design guys on the the payroll? Because if they are, a lot of money was pissed away with a serious lack of supervision and QA.

I do believe they are on the Mozilla payroll.

I've been through these types of usability battles before with project managers from really high priced third party design/marketing firms. They became so in love with their own work and convinced of their own superiority because of their billable rates that they could not be swayed to other opinions. I finally had to sit down and have a meeting with the owner of the company and explain what was going on to force the project manager to listen (she ended up being pulled off the project). Mind you this was a $80,000 project for something I would have charged $10,000 max. After it was delivered, I still had to go in and fix the code because their developers couldn't understand fundamental things like an object ID can only be used once on a page (they were declaring "ID" instead of "Class" for CSS instructions).

What really blows my mind in this case is that up until Firefox 3.0, MozillaZine had a favored spot on the default Firefox bookmark bar and in the bookmarks as the go to support place for Firefox. It totally blows my mind that these forums were not the first place the AMO developers went to when they were soliciting feedback. Yes there can be passionate opinions here, but so much of the anger and friction we are seeing now could have been avoided and lots of the AMO bugs we are faced with now could have been eliminated BEFORE the new AMO went live.
Ken Barbalace - AMO Editor (I focus on reviewing themes)
I maintain Classic Compact, a very compact yet clean Firefox theme.
EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Periodic Table)
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

KLB wrote: and lots of the AMO bugs we are faced with now could have been eliminated BEFORE the new AMO went live.

Only 99%. We are not perfect :)
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Anthony A

Post by Anthony A »

Well it looks like they have been messing with AMO some more since I started this thread. I now see they have added a link in all addons to see previous versions. You don't have to dig for it any more that's an improvement.

Now I can't find a link to a Thunderbird Theme any where. A day ago when I was last in AMO there was a link right on the main Thunderbird addon page. I can't find one anywhere now. How do you get to the TB themes? Stop letting the children play with the site they have screwed it up enough already.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Bug 423619 – Sunbird and Thunderbird pages shouldn't have links to "themes" page
That's because themes are not a valid hybrid category for Sunbird
Hmm. Somebody at AMO thinks that Sunbird and Thunderbird shouldn't have any themes?

Phil
KLB

Post by KLB »

Anthony A wrote:Well it looks like they have been messing with AMO some more since I started this thread. I now see they have added a link in all addons to see previous versions. You don't have to dig for it any more that's an improvement.

I also noticed that reviews are now getting counted correctly. Now if they would just return the discussions section to add-on pages so that users wouldn't use the reviews section for suggestions and support. My theme "Classic Compact" just got a review score of 3 out of 5 because it didn't have a non-compact option. Uh.... hello? Why would a theme with the word "compact" in its name have a non-compact option???

The decision to remove the discussions is turning out to be a really bad decision. Instead what they should have done is improved the discussion feature such that it would email add-on owners when new comments were posted to their add-ons and emailed discussion participants when a reply was posted to a discussion they were participating in (like happens here).
Ken Barbalace - AMO Editor (I focus on reviewing themes)
I maintain Classic Compact, a very compact yet clean Firefox theme.
EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Periodic Table)
Anthony A

Post by Anthony A »

Philip Chee wrote:Bug 423619 – Sunbird and Thunderbird pages shouldn't have links to "themes" page
That's because themes are not a valid hybrid category for Sunbird
Hmm. Somebody at AMO thinks that Sunbird and Thunderbird shouldn't have any themes?

Phil

It looks like they got their wish and the link to themes has been removed. Outstanding work #-o I still cannot find a link to any themes anywhere for Thunderbird. I have been looking for an hour. Not only have they not fired these clowns they still let them do even more damage
Amsterdammer

Post by Amsterdammer »

^
Really, I can't find a GUI for Thunderbird themes too, but here is a query:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... &sort=name
or take feed (here: updated) : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... format:rss
steviex

Post by steviex »

Can one of the AMO Developers PLEASE get back to us on this..... We are going to have a HUGE number of complaints about this, especially from those who have done a huge amount of hard work making Themes for Thunderbird and Sunbird......

Is there any rational explanation why Thunderbird and Sunrd Themes are NO LONGER visable on the Application's Front Pages ???

I was going to look for Mostly Crystal ??? How do I find it, other than by going to CatThief's Website.... or the Addons Mirror

What about Cato62's Blood range, or the Outlook themes etc......

You are going to find a whole lot of authors pulling their addons off AMO
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

steviex wrote:Can one of the AMO Developers PLEASE get back to us on this.....
Um, file a bug? I don't think they read this thread/forum regularly except to make drive-by postings.

Phil
morgamic

themes issue

Post by morgamic »

steviex - themes issue tracked here; it will be fixed ASAP:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=429258

Some general thoughts on other posts:
<ul>
<li>Remember to make sure our communication isn't reduced to name calling and defensiveness - that just leads to indifference, which is NOT what anybody wants</li>
<li>AMO code is open. Feel free to get involved with development (svn.mozilla.org/addons/trunk); it's on LAMP, and we are happy to help in IRC (#amo, irc.mozilla.org)</li>
<li>Will make it a point to post a thread here before future updates of significant size</li>
<li>planet.mozilla.org is a good feed as well for Mozilla-related stuff</li>
</ul>