[Ext] Glasser 3.5.2 - Add Vista Glass to Firefox 3.5 and 3.6

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
6XGate

[Ext] Glasser 3.5.2 - Add Vista Glass to Firefox 3.5 and 3.6

Post by 6XGate »

Windows Aero Glass for Firefox
Latest Version: 3.5.2
Firefox Versions Supported by Latest: 3.5.5 to 3.6.*
Get the latest news on Glasser from Sleeping Cats

The Glasser extension provides a major visual upgrade to Mozilla Firefox when running on Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows 7 by instructing Windows to make the toolbars in Firefox rendered over Windows Aero Glass. Read this entire article before install this extension.

System Requirements

Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows 7
A DirectX 9 compatible graphics processor with a WDDM driver that support Pixel Shader 2.0 and has at least 128MiB of Video RAM (as required for Windows Aero)
Your active visual style must be Window Aero.
Mozilla Firefox 3.5.5 or later. Known to work for the current 3.6 beta.

Known Issues

Because of several bugs in the Cairo graphics library, which is used in Mozilla Firefox; some font colors may now mix well over certain backgrounds when used over or near Aero rendered portions of the UI. This problem only manifests it self when using third-party themes or user-applied styles. There is also a known bug with the calculating of rendered text sizes that can cause Cairo to cut off the a small portion of the last character in some text. These are known issues with Mozilla Firefox and Cairo and both parties are working to resolve them. Usually these bugs do not cause any text to become unreadable but may produce undesired results.

Install

Get the latest version from AddOns.Mozilla.Org. With some releases, the latest version may be in a sandbox, but can be installed without problem.

Options

Glasser can look really great with a few extra tools and finger work. If you would like your Mozilla Firefox install to look like any one of those pictured above, simply install the Stylish Add-on and check out the Glasser Extras forum on SleepingCats.org. Also, if you wish to hide the menu bar, download the Personal Menu Add-on or the Hide Menubar Add-on. Both support using the Alt key to temperately show the menu-bar and Personal Menu lets you keep a button on the toolbar to gain access to the menus.

Source Code

Glasser's native components and the extension itself is released under a 2-clause FreeBSD style license. The source code be checked out or view via anonymous SVN over HTTP. Check out the DwmXPCOM Repository for the Glasser XPCOM source and the GeckoSDK needed to compile it. Check out the Glasser Repository for the extension as it is packaged for Mozilla Firefox. You may use Firefox or your favorite SVN client to check out the source code.

Final Note, and Special Thanks

I hope you folks enjoy this extension. If anyone has any suggestions or finds any bugs, feel free to post them here or at the Glasser Forum at SleepingCats.org.

I used a similar method go get the native window handle as used in MinimizeToTray, but coded in C++.
Special thanks goes to Carl Booth for the Aqua personal bar.
Special thanks goes to Relativity_17 for the heads up on the native theme element for Windows Mail/Calendar look.
Special thanks goes to ptmb for for the heads up on the native theme element for Windows Media Player look.

License

Code: Select all

Copyright 2008-2009 Matthew Holder. All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
   2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
Last edited by 6XGate on December 12th, 2009, 11:45 pm, edited 31 times in total.
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

I haven't taken a look at the extension yet but I'm sure you have a overlay, can't you just import the css instead of making people download a separate file and move the contents of a file to the userChrome.css?
6XGate

Post by 6XGate »

This is an alpha quality release, I didn't actually get that far in that release of the XPI. Still testing and finishing the CSS with a few changes from what was in the ZIP files.
6XGate

Post by 6XGate »

Uploaded a new version with the required CSS in the overlay, the personal bar's CSS is now just a regular CSS file for download.
Sleeping Cats - My place on the internet.
Canyonero

Post by Canyonero »

Heh. You beat me to getting this out. Sadly this stupid grad work doesn't give me much time to work, but if you want to steal any CSS or anything (or work on this together), all my code is at:

http://code.google.com/p/firefoxglass/source/browse

I think its slightly broken right now if I remember though.
6XGate

Post by 6XGate »

Thanks for the offer, I'll take a look at it. If you have a change you can look for mine as and see what you think of it.

Canyonero wrote:Heh. You beat me to getting this out. Sadly this stupid grad work doesn't give me much time to work, but if you want to steal any CSS or anything (or work on this together), all my code is at:

http://code.google.com/p/firefoxglass/source/browse

I think its slightly broken right now if I remember though.
6XGate

Post by 6XGate »

Released Version 1.0.5
  • Replaced the method of getting the window handle, now any DOM node and be used. Thanks to Canyonero for the method used to do this.
  • Now the Visual C Runtime is not longer required.
  • Added 1px extra padding to the bottom of the #nav-bar
silu

Post by silu »

Great stuff, thanks a lot!

1.0.5 seems to be crashing a LOT with FireGestures enabled. I can reproduce it in under a minute of surfing. Without FireGestures, everything is just fine. Tested on FG 1.0.5 and the development version 1.1. The previous version of Glasser (1.0.1 or whatever) didn't have this problem. The crash isn't related to "drawing" a gesture, at least doesn't seem that way...

Tested on my usual profile with everything else disabled, and on a clean profile with just FireGestures and Glasser installed (didn't use the extra-CSS).

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008041907 Minefield/3.0pre

edit: http://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/cde36b21-0ecb-11dd-8c73-001321b13766?p=18
6XGate

More Options

Post by 6XGate »

I have now added more personal bar styles for that look like Media Player, Explorer, or Windows Mail/Calendar.
Eygte450

Post by Eygte450 »

silu wrote:Great stuff, thanks a lot!

1.0.5 seems to be crashing a LOT with FireGestures enabled. I can reproduce it in under a minute of surfing. Without FireGestures, everything is just fine. Tested on FG 1.0.5 and the development version 1.1. The previous version of Glasser (1.0.1 or whatever) didn't have this problem. The crash isn't related to "drawing" a gesture, at least doesn't seem that way...

Tested on my usual profile with everything else disabled, and on a clean profile with just FireGestures and Glasser installed (didn't use the extra-CSS).

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008041907 Minefield/3.0pre

edit: http://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/cde36b21-0ecb-11dd-8c73-001321b13766?p=18

it crashed to me, with firegestures too, 3 times in only 1hour...
please 6xgate try to fix it :)
singularity0821

Post by singularity0821 »

This is awesome. Thanks!!
ptmb

Post by ptmb »

Hey, 6XGate. You have a great addon there. It is making fans on the Firefox Theme Discussion thread (me included).

I'm using it on Minefield 3.0pre and I figured how to fix some things. For instance, I figured how to make the addon look ok on classic theme (but not on Vista basic though), trough some lines on UserChrome.css.
Have in mind that most of this CSS will only work from Firefox 3.0pre nightly that has theme recognition and up.

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

/* ----------Make toolbars Look ok on Classic---------- */
#main-window:not(:-moz-system-metric(windows-default-theme)) #navigator-toolbox {
  -moz-appearance: toolbox !important;
  background-color: -moz-Dialog !important;
  border-top: 2px solid !important;
  -moz-border-top-colors: ThreeDShadow ThreeDHighlight !important;
}

#main-window:not(:-moz-system-metric(windows-default-theme)) #navigator-toolbox toolbar {
  -moz-appearance: toolbar !important;
  border-top: 2px solid !important;
  -moz-border-top-colors: ThreeDShadow ThreeDHighlight !important;
}

#main-window:not(:-moz-system-metric(windows-default-theme)) #navigator-toolbox #toolbar-menubar {
  border: none !important;
}

#main-window:not(:-moz-system-metric(windows-default-theme)) #navigator-toolbox #toolbar-menubar,
#main-window:not(:-moz-system-metric(windows-default-theme)) #navigator-toolbox #PersonalToolbar {
  -moz-opacity: 1 !important;
}

#main-window:not(:-moz-system-metric(windows-default-theme)) #navigator-toolbox #toolbar-menubar,
#main-window:not(:-moz-system-metric(windows-default-theme)) #navigator-toolbox #toolbar-menubar menubar,
#main-window:not(:-moz-system-metric(windows-default-theme)) #navigator-toolbox #nav-bar {
  -moz-appearance: toolbar !important;
}

#main-window:not(:-moz-system-metric(windows-default-theme)) #navigator-toolbox #toolbar-menubar {
   background: none !important;
}

#main-window:not(:-moz-system-metric(windows-default-theme)) #navigator-toolbox {
   background-color: -moz-Dialog !important;
}

/* ----------Fix Address Bar---------- */
#urlbar {
  padding-left: 1px !important;
}

/* code from kliu0x52  */
#urlbar:not(:-moz-system-metric(windows-default-theme)) {
   -moz-appearance: TextField ! important;
}

#urlbar[chromedir="ltr"]:not(:-moz-system-metric(windows-default-theme)) {
   -moz-margin-start: 4px ! important;
}

#urlbar[chromedir="ltr"]:not(:-moz-system-metric(windows-default-theme)) > #identity-box {
   -moz-margin-start: 0px ! important;
}

#urlbar[chromedir="ltr"]:not(:-moz-system-metric(windows-default-theme)) > #identity-box > hbox {
   border-left-style: none ! important;
   padding-left: 2px ! important;
   -moz-border-radius: 0px ! important;
}

.searchbar-textbox:not(:-moz-system-metric(windows-default-theme)) {
   -moz-appearance: TextField ! important;
}
/* end of code from kliu0x52  */

/* ----------Remove withe background from menubar---------- */
#toolbar-menubar {
  background: none !important;
}

#main-window[sizemode="maximized"] #file-menu,
#main-window[sizemode="maximized"] #edit-menu,
#main-window[sizemode="maximized"] #view-menu,
#main-window[sizemode="maximized"] #history-menu,
#main-window[sizemode="maximized"] #bookmarksMenu,
#main-window[sizemode="maximized"] #tools-menu,
#main-window[sizemode="maximized"] #helpMenu {
  color: #ffffff !important;
}

/* ----------Make bookmarks toolbar blue---------- */
#PersonalToolbar:-moz-system-metric(windows-default-theme) {
  -moz-appearance: communications-toolbox !important;
  padding: 2px 2px 3px 2px !important;
}

#PersonalToolbar .toolbarbutton-text:-moz-system-metric(windows-default-theme) {
color: #fff !important;
margin-bottom: 1px !important;
}

toolbarbutton.bookmark-item:-moz-system-metric(windows-default-theme) {
padding: 2px 6px !important;
}

Beyond that, this makes the bookmarks bar nativelly blue with withe text when on aero. There are some glitches though, as I seem to be unable to make the menubar text with while maximized and still haven't got how to make the toolbar opaque while on fullscreen.
Use the part of code made at will.

The result of the above CSS is this:
(click on thumbnail for higher resolution)
(click on thumbnail for higher resolution)

BTW, You can make any toolbar blue natively by using the following:

-moz-appearance: communications-toolbox;

Or black using this:

-moz-appearance: media-toolbox;
6XGate

Post by 6XGate »

New release, should fix the FireGestures crash.
Now uses the -moz-appearance for the applet and mediaplayer bars, thanks to Relativity_17, and ptmb.

and BTW ptmb, i'll be adding you CSS to the extras and overlay CSS soon, thanks
UrbenLegend

Post by UrbenLegend »

6XGate, you're the new Santa Claus. Thanks for the beautiful extension. My only complaint is that the keyhole etch fades too much into the background during fullscreen mode, and the new curve for the larry icon in the latest nightlies messes up the left end of the address bar.
Mikee

Post by Mikee »

It looks AWESOME! Thanks getting this working!

EDIT: I would like to report a bug. There is an issue where ALT text containers consume the entire screen from the mouse pointer on.