cannot load search sites and use Google search

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
willgood

cannot load search sites and use Google search

Post by willgood »

I do seem to be able to load any search engine sites (yahoo, Lycos, Ask etc) i can however load up Google but cannot search. I'm at my wits end to find a solution...Please help. My firewall is Kaspersky which is where i think my problem lies.
Hardunger

Post by Hardunger »

It may not be relative to your problem - but Verizon told us to disconnect our firewall since we were having so much trouble getting on the Internet - scary but it worked - Have you tried the Mamma search engine -
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Try safe mode http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode . What happens?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
willgood

Post by willgood »

Tried mozilla safe mode...same as before. I have the same problem using IE.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Have you scanned you system for viruses or malware recently?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
willgood

Post by willgood »

Tried all the normal stuff Lavasoft, spyboy s&d, spyware doctor, spysweeper, kaspersky etc etc, ran hijack this saw nothing unusual. Tried turn on/off the firewalls stiil cannot access Lycos, altavista ask etc...can access google but cannot search.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

You might try a new profile. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows There is a good chance it will not work since it is happening to both Firefox and IE. That usually means a nasty.

You might try this:
Click on Windows Start button --> Run --> Type Msconfig in the text box.
Click on the Start tab and list here what gets ran at startup.

You might also briefly turn off you firewall.

See this message for places you might want to go to have more knowledgeable folks then us look at what is going on http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... a0cdf91291
Post wrangler
googler101

same problem

Post by googler101 »

i have the very same problem.

is this problem fixed? i tried a lot of solutions but still havent fixed it. im only using IE.

i can load google's main page but cannot search anything... weird thing is if i let a YM buddy google something then paste the URL of the search, i can load it and use the google search bar from there for a limited time.

how do i fix this? i think its a trojan or a virus. i can do a system restore and it works after a couple of minutes to hours it goes back to the original problem. i think my restore point is infected also and most the restore points before that are no longer there. weird.

please post a solution. thanks!
willgood

Post by willgood »

I had the virtunmonde or sometimes called the Vundo virus. I used a combination of Vundofix.exe, f-vmonde.exe, virtumondebegone.exe, fixvundo.exe oh and Norton AV. Once i resolved that problem i could search and access other search engine sites. Has been ok for 3 weeks now.
Camperdick

Re: cannot load search sites and use Google search

Post by Camperdick »

Put "Hosts" in search and open that file using Notepad. Type in:
127.0.0.1 localhost
There are seven spaces between 127.0.0.1 and localhost.
Click File and Save.
You will now be able to search using Google or any other search engine.
This worked for me!
LIMPET235

Re: cannot load search sites and use Google search

Post by LIMPET235 »

Camperdick...
Many thanks for your reply but this thread is very old &
needs to R.I.P.
Please check the date before posting.
Locking.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)