miniT 20110327

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
dorando

miniT 20110327

Post by dorando »

miniT adds a few tab related functions. [Firefox, SeaMonkey, Songbird (partly)]

- docShell.allow* attributes can be changed via tab context menu. [not in Songbird]
- Tabs can be switched by turning the mouse wheel on the tab bar.
- Bookmarks are opened in background if browser.tabs.loadInBackground is set to true. Was replaced by the new core pref browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInBackground.
- New tabs can be opened by double clicking on any tab.
- Tabs can be dragged. If dropped within the tab bar the tabs will be reordered, otherwise only the url is dropped as text/x-moz-url, text/html, or text/unicode. Firefox 1.5 has backported this functionality
- Tabs open relative (next) to the current tab, if minit.open_tabs_relative is true.
- Included fixes for bug 264009, bug 399113, and bug 400491.

Other Variants
miniT (tabscroll): Only tab scrolling.
Firefox, Tab Mix, and Tabbrowser Extensions base their tab reordering code on miniT.

Configurations:

Code: Select all

prefs.js: (use about:config to edit these) [requires restart]

// Disable dblclick handler
user_pref("minit.dblclick", false);

// Enable the docShell menu
user_pref("minit.docShell", true);

// Open tabs relative (next) to current tab
user_pref("minit.open_tabs_relative", true);

// Disable tabscroll feature
user_pref("minit.tabscroll", false);

userChrome.css:

/* Hide the docShell menu */
#miniT-docShell, #sep-miniT-docShell {display:none}

Notable Firefox Tweaks:

Code: Select all

prefs.js:

// Open bookmarks in the background
user_pref("browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInBackground", true);

userChrome.css:

/* Don't let tab labels receive focus */
tab {-moz-user-focus: ignore !important;}

/* Hide the drop indicator */
.tab-drop-indicator-bar {display:none !important}

Changes:
20110327: [miniT, miniT (tabscroll)]
- Added support for Firefox 4 dropped support for Firefox 3.5
- Removed support for Flock
- Re-added partly support for Songbird
- Improved support for SeaMonkey
- Removed the workaround for problems introduced by 300412 and 254021
- Removed the fix for 264009
- minit.open_tabs_relative should work again
- Added minit.dblclick (default enabled) and minit.docShell (default disabled) prefs
- Added allowDNSPrefetch to the docShell menu

Full Changelog
Last edited by dorando on April 10th, 2011, 4:47 am, edited 26 times in total.
Support mozilla.dorando.at through donations/contributions.
sttroopers

Post by sttroopers »

Sweet! Works great for me.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7a) Gecko/20040106 Firebird/0.7+ (aebrahim)
. . : : Y o p e r . c o m : : . .
frease

Post by frease »

I like no.(5) most! :)
johnleemk

Post by johnleemk »

Brilliant. I just installed it; about to restart my browser. I advise you to try and get it listed:
http://texturizer.net/firebird/extensions/submit.html

2) Tabs can be switched by scrolling on the tab bar.

How does this feature I work? I just restarted my browser, but I can't switch tabs via scrolling with my mousewheel. :( Am I confused? :?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8b) Gecko/20050205 Firefox/1.0+
Flexer

Post by Flexer »

This is great :D As I hate the complexity of TBE this extension just fills almost all my tab releated need.
Here is a suggestion: Ctrl + -> and Ctrl + <- will switch to previous or next tab. Ctrl + (down arrow) - close current tab; Ctrl + (up arrow) - new tab. Not especcialy to use these key bindings. And it will be good if you bring some small window with configs.
johnleemk

Post by johnleemk »

Ctrl + (down arrow) - close current tab; Ctrl + (up arrow) - new tab.

Nuh uh. Those are for switching tabs already, in the core, and right now, it's the only way to do so from the keyboard in *nix.
Old Bozz

Re: miniT

Post by Old Bozz »

dorando wrote:3) Bookmarks are opened in background if browser.tabs.loadInBackground is set.

Nice work. I installed the extension mainly for the moving tabs ability. That's great.

How can I change the Bookmarks back to open in foreground? Browser.tabs.loadInBackground is set to false in about:config and Open links in background is unchecked in Options>Advanced. When I middle click a Bookmark now, it opens in the background.
Flexer

Post by Flexer »

How about when moving a tab to display a tiny border betwene two tabs indicating where the selected tab will be placed. This can be possibly done by adding border-left to the previous tab of where the selected will be placed :-s
dorando

Post by dorando »

johnleemk wrote:
2) Tabs can be switched by scrolling on the tab bar.

How does this feature I work? I just restarted my browser, but I can't switch tabs via scrolling with my mousewheel. :( Am I confused? :?

Hmm, if All-in-One Gestures is installed its "Scroll wheel in tab bar" function might interfere, otherwise no idea...

Flexer wrote:And it will be good if you bring some small window with configs.

Is planned, but not likely soon. For the time being its better to open the .jar file and remove the functions not wanted.

bozz wrote:How can I change the Bookmarks back to open in foreground? Browser.tabs.loadInBackground is set to false in about:config and Open links in background is unchecked in Options>Advanced. When I middle click a Bookmark now, it opens in the background.

Bah, I was using an object to read the prefs only available in pre 2002-09-18 builds or in Optimoz and Quicknote...
New version uploaded.

Flexer wrote:How about when moving a tab to display a tiny border betwene two tabs indicating where the selected tab will be placed. This can be possibly done by adding border-left to the previous tab of where the selected will be placed :-s

Also planned.
Last edited by dorando on January 17th, 2004, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jedbro

Post by jedbro »

johnleemk wrote:Brilliant. I just installed it; about to restart my browser. I advise you to try and get it listed:
http://texturizer.net/firebird/extensions/submit.html

Yes, you should. but be sure and
Include a Short Description also.
Cheers

--
* Extension name (e.g. "My Extension")
* Version number (e.g. 0.4)
* Release date (e.g. 2003-03-05)
* Author name (e.g. John Doe)
* E-mail address (e.g. john.doe@domain.com)
* URL to extension homepage (e.g. http://domain.com/)
* URL to .xpi file (e.g. http://domain.com/myextension.xpi)
* Size of .xpi file (in KB, e.g. 256)
* A good description (e.g. "This extension adds a toolbar button, allowing you to...")
* A good Short description (e.g. "This extension adds a toolbar button, allowing you to...")
clav

Post by clav »

jedbro wrote: * A good Short description (e.g. "This extension adds a toolbar button, allowing you to...")

that is a truly awful suggestion for a short description. they're meant to be about 10 words, and should not include such useless fluff as "this extension ..."

also the comma after "button" is rather dubious. it's the button that lets you do something, not the act of the extension adding a button.
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

dorando wrote:
bozz wrote:How can I change the Bookmarks back to open in foreground? Browser.tabs.loadInBackground is set to false in about:config and Open links in background is unchecked in Options>Advanced. When I middle click a Bookmark now, it opens in the background.

Bah, I was using an object to read the prefs only available in pre 2002-09-18 builds or in Optimoz and Quicknote...
New version uploaded.

Works Great. Thanks :)
johnleemk

Post by johnleemk »

Hmm, if All-in-One Gestures is installed its "Scroll wheel in tab bar" function might interfere, otherwise no idea...

I have Tabbrowser Preferences installed...it's the only extension I have that directly relates to tabs.
mai9

Re: miniT

Post by mai9 »

dorando wrote:2) Tabs can be switched by scrolling on the tab bar.
3) Bookmarks are opened in background if browser.tabs.loadInBackground is set.
5) Tabs can be dragged. If dropped within the tab bar the tabs will be reordered, otherwise only the url is dropped as text/unicode.

I love this three features \:D/

Could it be that dragging tabs to a folder created .url links?
dorando

Post by dorando »

mai9 wrote:Could it be that dragging tabs to a folder created .url links?

Yup, tabs are now also draggable as text/x-moz-url and text/html. (This was orginally in, but removed since I had previously some problems which I can't reproduce anymore)

johnleemk wrote:I have Tabbrowser Preferences installed...it's the only extension I have that directly relates to tabs.

Ok, is there something in the JavaScript console, or happens anything else while scrolling?