unable to send emails

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
paws10

unable to send emails

Post by paws10 »

I am having trouble sending emails and am getting the same message others have been getting. I have called ATT and was told to go to account settings and under outgoing server type in smtp.att.yahoo.com. The tech rep also said to check the FSL box and put in some numbers for the new port incoming and outgoing. I have entered the smtp, but do not see any FSL box or any place to enter the number given me.
Please help with direction how to resolve this problem.

Thank you.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

What is the exact wording of the error message you are getting?
paws10

Post by paws10 »

It keeps asking for my password over and over and then a message appears that says:

Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because connecting SMTP server smtp.att.yahoo.com (just changed this after talking with ATT rep) failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

gw1500se

Post by gw1500se »

I'm not sure that I have the same problem described but the symptoms are sure the same. However, I am a little confused by exactly what is being discussed. Are you folks talking about web mail and the Yahoo plugin?

After reading all the articles it appears to me like the instructions are for receiving Yahoo mail thru webmail but replying and/or sending via the ISP's SMTP server. In my case I don't want to show my ISP's email account to Yahoo mail senders. I want replies to Yahoo mail to go through the Yahoo SMTP server. Am I misunderstanding the discussion? Thanks.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

gw1500se,
These connection problems have many different variables. Because of this, these topics can get very confused if more than one person is helped. Please start a new topic so we can help both of you better. Thanks.

We are talking about ATT Yahoo, not the free Yahoo accounts. Completely different.
gw1500se

Post by gw1500se »

Thanks for the clarification and will do.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
paws10

Post by paws10 »

Well, no luck so far. I've gone into the incoming window as well and now get no emails. Went back and changed it to what I had before so at least I've got that. Don't know why the suggestions don't work for me. I'm just a novice at this, but am ready to change to something else. I'm using hotmail in the interim. Thought I would try again today with a fresh mind/attitude, but I'm back to where I was yesterday when I gave up. :(((
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Let me get someone who also uses ATT Yahoo and beg him to do images for you. Hang in there. It does work. I set it up for people on a regular basis.
SK.

Post by SK. »

I will get some images posted as soon as I can. Unfortunately, it may be sometime Monday before I have the time. Sorry. Hang in there, paws10.
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
paws10

Post by paws10 »

Thank you Daifne and SKopischke. I appreciate all your efforts. My son is returning from out of state on Monday so he should be able to help me out as well.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Thanks SKopischke. I think images will really help. I'll save them after you post them. ;-)

You're welcome, paws10.
SK.

Post by SK. »

Here are SMTP settings. Replace "Your Name Here" with the name you want to assign to the outgoing account. Replace the "xxxxxxx" with your e-mail address.

Click on the image to get a bigger view.
SK.

Post by SK. »

.... and here are the Incoming settings.

paws10

Post by paws10 »

Have done all these steps exactly and still cannot send out emails. It keeps asking for my password over and over. When I cancel, the send message error appears as printed above.

What am I doing wrong? I did this before you sent images and am still have the same problem.
Any ideas?