Issues with AVG8

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
ehume

Issues with AVG8

Post by ehume »

I downloaded AVG8 from Download.com after I could not get AVG7.5 to work properly (long story).

AVG8 has anti-spyware stuff on it, and a "Link-Scanner". There is also an AVG toolbar.

The problem is that the link-scanner slows down the browser, big-time. I was able to disable it, but I have not been able to find its GUID so I can kill its directory.

I don't know if the AVG toolbar slows the browser. You can get it to hide, but I could not disable it or remove it. The only way to do that was to uninstall AVG8 then reinstall, carefully telling it not to include the AVG8 toolbar. Harumpf.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Another reason I'm glad I've switched to Avast!
ehume

Post by ehume »

I've been with AVG for years, in part because Avast was a disaster - perhaps eight years ago. Maybe it's time to look again.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

I was with AVG for a long time myself. I switched after they started nagging to buy it. The nag in Vista causes weird problems. More annoying than damaging, but I didn't want it any more.
ekmon1582
Folder@Home

Post by ekmon1582 »

Daifne wrote:Another reason I'm glad I've switched to Avast!

Just how good is 'Avast!'?
"You need to hide your money. So do what I do. I take my money and put it in the stock market... The next day it's gone, and no one knows where it is." - David Letterman
www.getfirefox.com
Fender178

Post by Fender178 »

Im using AVG8 right now and Im not having any issues with it. But If I do I will switch over.
ehume

Post by ehume »

As for Avast - it's different. But so far, so good.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

I've been very impressed. found a rootkit on one of my customers's machines...
makondo

Post by makondo »

Ed,
i had the same thing at first. It was so painful, i almost switched back to 7.5 (i am using a paid version though, if it matters, the AVG8 Internet Security + Vista). After some research, i found a fix and it's all right now. First, try the FAQ. Somewhere there you'll find a suggestion to install KB929547:
If you are using Windows Vista and your computer or Internet connection is working much slower than before installation of AVG, please try to install the Windows Update Windows update KB929547.
I did and the improvement was instant! I also disabled the toolbar: in the Fx EM, right on top, you should see AVG Safe Search and Security toolbar. Simply disable them (if you don't want that bar. I didn't - it screws my toolbars and buttons display [even though i think it's a quite nice addition]).
Now, if your problems aren't solved, then you can disable the Link Scanner and/or Web Shield within AVG, the FAQs i linked above explain how to (i didn't have to since i have no problems now). Hope it helps.

I was going to make a post here for i knew somebody will come crying ;-) but you've beat me to it.
kindofabuzz

Post by kindofabuzz »

Daifne wrote:Another reason I'm glad I've switched to Avast!

Another reason I'm glad I switched to linux!! =)
Collapse unwanted MozillaZine forum sections ** Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

kindofabuzz wrote:Another reason I'm glad I switched to linux!! =)

Enjoy kidding yourself while it lasts. If Linux ever reaches critical mass in the desktop market, there will be viruses for it. Security by obscurity is awful, even if the barriers Linux have in place (security and low desktop market share) now are sufficient to deter anyone from bothering at the moment.

People used to say exactly the same thing about Firefox and Macs ("I'm safer because I use X"). This may be vaguely true for a while, but I think it's quite clear that frequent updates and proper protection/precautions are the only way to be truly secure.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

It's probably 6 odd years since I was in class learning the ins and outs of Red Hat and I remember my teacher saying the same thing. With Ubuntu making somewhat of a splash. You can bet your boots it won't be long.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
johann_p

Post by johann_p »

BenBasson wrote:
kindofabuzz wrote:Another reason I'm glad I switched to linux!! =)

Enjoy kidding yourself while it lasts. If Linux ever reaches critical mass in the desktop market, there will be viruses for it.

No kidding: Linux wont reach critical mass any time soon.

So there! :)

PS: once it does, just switch to OpenSolaris.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”
makondo

Post by makondo »

Ed,
was my post helpful to you?
(It's getting lost in here ...Daifne, give yourself a warning for derailing the thread Image )
SK.

Post by SK. »

The only issue I ever had with Avast was on a PC I purchased a few years ago. It had taken to spontaneously rebooting (yes, Daifne that system :) ) and I returned it to the manufacturer for repair. They performed a thorough inspection and the only fix they made was to replace Avast with AVG. When I migrated to the new system last December, I moved AVG along with it.

Am I the only one that doesn't get a nag screen from AVG Free? I still get updates.
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13