Thunderbird 2.0.0.14 update hangs in endless loop

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
conficio

Thunderbird 2.0.0.14 update hangs in endless loop

Post by conficio »

Hi here,
I just received the latest update request for my Thunderbird and it fails to update "with one or more files being locked by other applications" (paraphrased) message. That can't really be as I just restarted the machine, no Virus checker running, and other wise a clean account in the Admins group.

Well, it does loop endlessly between my selection if I want to work online/offline and the update/error message. It would be nice if there was an option to abort the update.

Now I'll resort to these drastic and cumbersome repair measures. I'll report back if they work.

K<o>
conficio

Logitech QuickCam Software is to blame!

Post by conficio »

Wow, actually it was my recently installed Logitech Quick Cam
# Logitech QuickCam: Disconnect your Web camera, right-click the QuickCam icon in the system tray and select 'Exit" (or open the Windows Task Manager and end the "QuickCam" process, e.g., "QuickCam10.exe") then try the update again.

that blocked the update.

How come? Is Logitech selling us malware?

I certainly think that it is non of their business to interfere with other software updating.

I'm glad the issue was so quickly resolved.

K<o>
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

It is a bug in the Logitech software. It doesn't release a file that it's supposed to. We've been dealing with this for a while now.
cja411

Post by cja411 »

Same issue here. Thank goodness for forums.
Kakeru

Post by Kakeru »

Is this the same issue I was having here?

Thunderbird auto-downloaded the update to install, I clicked Restart and Install, during the update it produced the error "One or more files cannot be written, click OK to retry" clicking OK produces the same error and it becomes stuck in a loop. Process can be ended in the Task Manager under the Processes tab.
Solved the issue by going to firefox.com and downloading the full install, that produces the error that the file mozMapi32.dll cannot be written, fixed this by going to the file location and removing it from the folder. Install continues as normal, when Thunderbird restarts it retries the update again (despite just being updated manually) by downloading the full version, this succeeds and it runs fine, until the next update.
File is NOT marked as Read-only.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Yes, you have the same issue.
bubbahotep

worked for me to

Post by bubbahotep »

had the same problem and this helped me to. just disconnected my logitech cam and all went fine. thanks :)

how about auto-detecting the situation in mozilla?

Post by Guest »

Why not detect that quickcam is running after a failed update and offer to turn it off to complete the update? Not a great solution, but at least it makes the source of the problem clear, and I wouldn't have to keep looking up (again) what the other program is I have to turn off when thunderbird decides to upgrade itself.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

The problem is that the webcam latches onto that file, in case you tell it to email a webcam picture to somebody. If Logitech used better programming techniques it would only grab that file when it was actually using it and would release it immediately thereafter. Complain long and loud to Logitech - they're the only ones that can do anything about it.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
NZben

Re:

Post by NZben »

Kakeru wrote:Is this the same issue I was having here?

Thunderbird auto-downloaded the update to install, I clicked Restart and Install, during the update it produced the error "One or more files cannot be written, click OK to retry" clicking OK produces the same error and it becomes stuck in a loop. Process can be ended in the Task Manager under the Processes tab.
Solved the issue by going to firefox.com and downloading the full install, that produces the error that the file mozMapi32.dll cannot be written, fixed this by going to the file location and removing it from the folder. Install continues as normal, when Thunderbird restarts it retries the update again (despite just being updated manually) by downloading the full version, this succeeds and it runs fine, until the next update.
File is NOT marked as Read-only.

I have the same issue with 3 pcs here. But none of them are using Logitech Webcams? Are there any other Logitech or non Logitech products causing the same error?
NZBen

Re: Thunderbird 2.0.0.14 update hangs in endless loop

Post by NZBen »

Never mind I was wrong!

They did have quickcam10 installed and removing or disabling this DID FIX the problem!

Thanks alot guys
kire456

Post by kire456 »

It would be nice if Thunderbird's error message was more meaningful than it is. I do not have the quickcam10 process, so I'd like to know what file is locked so I can maybe search for the handle and end the offending process with something like Process explorer.

So instead of "The update could not be installed. Please make sure there are no other...", perhaps you could say "could not write to the xxxxx.dll file. Please make sure there are no other..." :?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

This issue was fixed in a much earlier version of Thunderbird and had a very specific error message. You have a different issue. Start your own topic please. Locking this due to age.