Discussion for 'The list is out, pick your top 5'

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Micha the not so Old

Keep the name in the family

Post by Micha the not so Old »

So in keeping with the large lizard names, Komodo etc., I would go with Perentie. It s just a little thing, bout 2 - 3 metres long. Something you would want to wake up next to while camping out in the Aussie outback.
Micha the not so Old

OK so you want 5:

Post by Micha the not so Old »

My top 5 picks are:

PHOENIX; my old grammar school emblem, predates phoenix.com by at least half a century. Let them try to sue good old MRGS

PERENTIE; second only to the Komodo in size.

QUINKANA; extinct terrestrial hooved crocodile.

WONAMBI; The largest snake that ever lived, also extinct, unfortunately, or fortunately for phoenix.com.

MEGALANIA; a goanna about the size of a medium sized Allosaurus, also extinct; again unfortunately.
Codeman

Post by Codeman »

Looks like I was supposed to post to this thread rather than the other top five discussion. Here they are....

Xulu
Photon
Quicksilver
Flare
Galileo
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Codeman wrote:Looks like I was supposed to post to this thread rather than the other top five discussion. Here they are....

Xulu
Photon
Quicksilver
Flare
Galileo

This is the thread for discussion. The other thread is for your actual 5.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
Codeman

Post by Codeman »

Oh, well :) Gotcha...

Thanks
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

Codeman wrote:Oh, well :) Gotcha...

Thanks

I hope my message in the list thread didn't confuse you... :roll:
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
Codeman

Post by Codeman »

daihard wrote:
Codeman wrote:Oh, well :) Gotcha...

Thanks

I hope my message in the list thread didn't confuse you... :roll:

Hmm.... maybe :lol: That's ok... I can see what you meant reading back on it now. :) I appreciate your effort tho'.

Thanks!
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

Codeman wrote:Hmm.... maybe :lol: That's ok... I can see what you meant reading back on it now. :) I appreciate your effort tho'.

:)

I've mistakenly thrown in a discussion message into that thread more than once, so decided to warn myself (and others) against doing that. :oops:
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
Gyges

Post by Gyges »

I'd like to make a suggestion for the final decision on the new name, if I may. I've been thinking about this since the first of the year. I know that there is a list of suggestions / votes for the new name (though I cannot remember where it is at the moment), and I thought that the top 5 to 10 suggestions could be made into a poll on the Phoenix Help site, so that all of the users of phoenix could have a say in the new name.

I think this would be an appropriate idea for a project like this one.
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

Gyges wrote:I'd like to make a suggestion for the final decision on the new name, if I may. I've been thinking about this since the first of the year. I know that there is a list of suggestions / votes for the new name (though I cannot remember where it is at the moment), and I thought that the top 5 to 10 suggestions could be made into a poll on the Phoenix Help site, so that all of the users of phoenix could have a say in the new name.

Hear here. These two threads have recently passed one month in age. I think it's time to close the suggestions round, and to either have a vote or have the main developers make their own decision. Or, have us vote then make their own decision from the top 2 or 3 votegetters. Anything to end this.
redmyrlin

Post by redmyrlin »

thenightfly42 wrote:
Gyges wrote:I'd like to make a suggestion for the final decision on the new name, if I may. I've been thinking about this since the first of the year. I know that there is a list of suggestions / votes for the new name (though I cannot remember where it is at the moment), and I thought that the top 5 to 10 suggestions could be made into a poll on the Phoenix Help site, so that all of the users of phoenix could have a say in the new name.

Hear here. ... Anything to end this.

Likewise.
fantasai

sphinx et al.

Post by fantasai »

sphinx:
1. Mythology. A figure in Egyptian myth having the body of a lion and the head of a man, ram, or hawk.
2. often Sphinx Greek Mythology. A winged creature having the head of a woman and the body of a lion,
noted for killing those who could not answer its riddle.
3. A puzzling or mysterious person.

Don't know if killing stupid people is a good connotation for a browser targetted at the masses...

The one thing I don't like about Flare is that (to me at least) it implies transience as well as swift brilliance. Phoenix suggests eternal. Maybe "Flame" would be better.. (Of course, you should judge for yourself. :) http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=flare )

If the browser gets named Scamp, I suggest Vagabond for the mail client.

~fantasai
Null Pointer

Post by Null Pointer »

I really hope firebird or Sphinx don't become the name. They are both well know as somthing else. When someone hears Firebird they are going to think car not browser, same with Sphinx, most people are going to think of the Great Sphinx of Gaza....

This name has to become a brandname. a name that will signify this browser and it's use as somthing worth trying (because we all know once they try it, they won't go back)
Rand23

Kompass -> KDE

Post by Rand23 »

Compass is a cool name, but *K*ompass implies that it is part of the KDE suite. KDE's apps are notorious for misspelling works with K's (Konqueror, Konverse, Kontour, etc). I think choosing Kompass would be a big mistake.

james
Fred

Post by Fred »

If we try harder we can get nowhere faster.
100 people = 99 different opinions

as long as they make it as good or better than phoenix is now, Ill used it no matter what they call it.

BTW I thought phoenix technologies made PC bios