Combining two Thunderbird profiles

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Cutty

Combining two Thunderbird profiles

Post by Cutty »

I regularly back up my Thunderbird profile data, including e-mail and address books, onto an external hard drive using Genie Backup Manager (GBM). After my internal hard drive fried recently and had to be replaced, I downloaded Thunderbird again, set up my accounts again, and was up an running, sending and receiving e-mail. However, when I tried to restore my Thunderbird profile data from the backup drive, using GBM, I discovered that the profile name for my new, current Thunderbird profile is not the same as the one from my old, backed-up profile. So now I have two profiles - that is, two sets of e-mail and addresses. When I tried to move the old into the new, I was asked if I want to replace the new with the old, but what I want to do is COMBINE them. I'd appreciate help, with instructions on how to combine the backed-up e-mail and addresses from one profile with the e-mail and addresses from the other profile.
Thank you!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

See this article, ignoring the portion about creating a new profile, which you have already done... http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... hunderbird
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Cured your linkitis, Dan. The ... ran into the link. ;-)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Thanks for the backup, Daifne.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

YW. Just do the same for me. I hate those embarrassing typos. ;-)
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

Thanks for the help - I was successful in getting my address books restored, and I now do a regular MozBackup of both my Thunderbird and Firefox profiles.
However, the article on "Transferring data...." refers to "overwriting" mail when moved from one profile to another, so I did not do that!
Thus I still have my GBM backed-up mail under my old profile (I was unaware of MozBackup at that time), and my current e-mail under my new profile.
What I want to do is keep the old and the new e-mail, but combine them so I can access it all under the new profile. Can you help me do that?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Reread the paragraph beginning "However, the safest way is to use the ImportExportTools extension..." Using that extension you can integrate messages from one profile into the files of another without overwriting.