Is there a more advanced filter add-on for Thunderbird?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
thoste

Is there a more advanced filter add-on for Thunderbird?

Post by thoste »

Ok, Thunderbird contains already a filter option which let me perform some simple
operations. But is there an add-on which offers some more filter features like the default filter?
jumaco

Post by jumaco »

thoste

Post by thoste »

I am primarily not interested in junk mail filtering but in e.g. moving incoming messages to sub-sub-directories depending on some (wildcard) filter options like:

If subject=="*TomCat*" and NOT (sender==*@hotmail.com) then move msg to Acct3\folder444\TomCat

Furthermore I would appreciate some auto-attachment-extraction options like

If containsattachments(msg) AND ((subject==*ant*) OR (recipient==*maillist*)) then extractattachments(msg) to D:\proj\ant\newattachments

These operations are currently not possible with the current built-in filter

Is there such an advanced filter add-on tool?

Thomas
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Nope.

If you look at the Regular Expressions - Advanced section in the junk mail controls article it describes a plug-in for SpamPal that supports regular expressions, but it doesn't let you move messages to whatever folder you want.

Your best bet would be to use a IMAP email provider that supports server side filtering (server based message filters). For example, www.fastmail.fm supports the Sieve mail filtering language. Unfortunately free IMAP email providers such as Gmail typically don't provide that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sieve_%28m ... anguage%29

If you run Linux, there are plenty of tools such as procmail and postfix/exim that you could leverage that would work with a POP account. You could use Cygwin to run them under Windows. However thats too much work/too complex for most users. http://www.cygwin.com/

Pocomail (a shareware email client) has the best filtering support I've seen, integrated with a scripting language (pocoscript). http://www.pocomail.com/poco/help/pocoscript.html
mastsato

Re: Is there a more advanced filter add-on for Thunderbird?

Post by mastsato »

I've been able to do a lot with Eudora's filtering. You can still get the program. Wish I could combine the filtering in Eudora with the rest of Thinderbird.
wires0

Post by wires0 »

same problem here. Try imapfilter http://imapfilter.hellug.gr/
Halraschid

Post by Halraschid »

mastsato wrote:I've been able to do a lot with Eudora's filtering. You can still get the program. Wish I could combine the filtering in Eudora with the rest of Thinderbird.

Echoing Matsato, my wish list for filtering is the Megafilter outlined at http://thecuria.com/thunder-addons.html . . .

I am looking at FiltaQuilla to see what it's features are, but that also apparently requires T3, so I'll have to see about getting that too, in time.
rmk

Post by rmk »

I have a similar issue, I was hoping might be addressed by you out there who are much adept at this than I ...

I have a website hosting service that forwards information from a contact form on my website to my thunderbird account. Now, fortunately, my webhosting company is smart enough to have the email sent to me from them as follows:

to: "my address"
reply-to: "the sender of the original request from my webpage"

When I hit reply, it obviously replies to the address in the "reply-to" section, which is what I want. However, when I try to use a thunderbird mail filter to automatically send a template message, thunderbird cant figure out the reply-to section and actually replies to the "from" section, and not to the person who originally contacted me.

Any ideas, add-ons or other trinkets that might help me send an autotemplate message back to the original requester. Thanks.
glennndavis

Post by glennndavis »

I am looking for the name of the file that generates the "Filter Rules" dialog box in Thunderbird.
The reason is that mine has become corrupted and this corruption has survived many updated versions of Thunderbird. It is also persistent in that if I move (copy) my "inbox" (containing my emails and containing folders) from an old instance of Thunderbird into a new instance (from a clean installation) the corrupted "Filter Rules" dialog window comes with me!!!!
I cannot update My filter rules at present because of this problem which has existed in excess of three years of updates. (I forget just how long it truly has been!)
Any answer to upgrading filter rules should solve this problem also.
Also any answers to my BUGS on this issue or directed to me @ glennndavis at fuse dot net would be greatly appreciated. It should be as simple as not overwriting the good file from a clean installation when transferring my stuff back to the clean install IF I ONLY HAD THE FILE NAME THAT I AM LOOKING FOR!!!!!!!!!
Thanks in advance! --Glenn N Davis
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

If the corruption is in the file msgFilterRules.dat, why not simply rename that file? You will have to recreate the filters but it will eliminate the corruption, which is most likely limited to that file and not to the application.

We do not give email, private message, or phone support on this forum. To do so would deprive other users of the information offered in a response to your topic.