SK.

Post by SK. »

Please answer all the questions.
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
TbirdEmail

Can't add attachments or see attachments under tools\options

Post by TbirdEmail »

Answers to all questions follow:

Please describe exactly how you attempted to install the extension? As you instructed above.

Did you click on it directly in Firefox? No

Did you download it to your local hard drive and attempt to install it from there with Thunderbird? Yes

Have you already reinstalled SecureZip? No

I would like you to create the new profile without that application on your computer and test before we reintroduce it. Did this as you instructed above. Thunderbird locks up (not responding) when attach clicked or attachement under tools, and now when install is clicked.

No other issues on my PC except these with Thunderbird. Outlook works.
SK.

Post by SK. »

Thank you. Thunderbird is absolutely not behaving the way it should. Something else on your computer seems to be interfering with Thunderbird. Which anti-malware applications are you running?
TbirdEmail

Post by TbirdEmail »

Norton anti-virus. Current with software, updates and scans.
TbirdEmail

Post by TbirdEmail »

Ran Norton again - all is OK. Tried Thunderbird with Norton tuned off - same error. Thunderbird 'not responding' when attaching email - doesn't even show the windows file selection window. Outlook works and there's no other issue on my PC except Thunderbird.

Thanks in advance for your help.
SK.

Post by SK. »

Norton has a long history of not playing nice with other programs, even other Symantec applications.

There are many free virus scanning and security applications out there. This knowledge base page contains good information on how well various anti-virus applications work with Thunderbird.

Try disabling Norton - see if that helps.
TbirdEmail

Post by TbirdEmail »

We seem to be going in circles. It's as if you don't read what's already been done, even your own instructions. Have tried Thunderbird with Norton disabled as stated in the post just prior to this. The day this problem started Norton had not been updated nor run. Both Norton and Thunderbird have been on the PC for more than 18 months.

I am in hopes of getting this Thunderbird problem solved, else I'll have to move over to Outlook and delete Thunderbird. Please help.
SK.

Post by SK. »

I don't see us going in circles. We have attempted to remove - one by one - various elements of Thunderbird and the SecureZip application. We now see that you have a historically troublesome anti-virus application that could be the source of your trouble. Simply that "Both Norton and Thunderbird have been on the PC for more than 18 months" is absolutely no indication whatsoever that Norton could not, in the future, impact Thunderbird.

Either try removing Norton or not to ease the problem with Thunderbird. Doesn't matter to me either way.
AeonFlux

Post by AeonFlux »

Hi

I've encountered the exact same problem. Since yesterday, Tunderbird (1.5.0.9) gets stuck whenever i try to open attachments from emails sent to me, or attach one to my outgoing emails. I'm working with CentOS, not windows, so mine is definitely not a problem of clashing with Norton. It worked great for the past years as well. Didn't install anything new.

Can you please help?
SK.

Post by SK. »

AeonFlux:

Since your situation is different, I will ask you to start a new thread. I do not want the various potential solutions offered to confuse anyone. Thank you.