[Ext]Go Parent Folder

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Alice0775

[Ext]Go Parent Folder

Post by Alice0775 »

Go Parent Folder 2.0(In SandBox)
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7377
This is a extension for firefox3.0 to 3.7a1pre

Add "Go Parent Folder" menu to context menu in The Library list view and Search result in Bookmarks Sidebar.

NOTE:
This extension does not seem to work in MacOS X.

Preview for Library Window,
Preview for Sidebar,
Right click Bookmark in list view shows "Go Parent Folder" context menu. And select the "Go Parent Folder" then Parent folder of the bookmark will be selected.

An option:

It becomes more convenient when you use "Show Parent Folder" (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7372 ) together with this.

In addition,
The extension confirmed that it functioned only on WindowsXP
Because I do not have the other OS. I can not confirm on the other OS.
However, this may work on the other OS because I do not use the function that is peculiar to the OS.

As for me, English is not a first language.
Please use a simple sentence structure and vocabulary as possible when you reply to me.
Last edited by Alice0775 on October 15th, 2009, 7:26 am, edited 7 times in total.
Alan Baxter

Re: [Ext]Go Parent Folder

Post by Alan Baxter »

Thank you for this extension. This is the replacement for the obsolete Locate in Bookmark Folder extension that I was looking for. I've reviewed it on AMO. AMO won't notify me of any updates to extensions in the sandbox. I've subscribed to this topic, so please post any updates for the extension to this discussion thread.
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

Go Parent Folder 1.5 released (In sandbox)
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7377

Add an option.
Select all related bookmarks, or select the "parent folder" and the clicked one
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

Hi, Alice. I can't tell what the "Select all related bookmark" option does. The result seems to be the same whether it's checked or not. I see that it's checked by default, so I'll leave it that way. Thank you for notifying us of the update.
bugblatter

Post by bugblatter »

I can't get the new "related bookmark" option to do anything different either. Arrgghh, it's driving me crazy! :) Just kidding. Thanks for all the useful extensions, Alice.
greg.bakker

Post by greg.bakker »

Thanks for this handy addon. But, it is a bit slow. For me it takes about eight seconds for the parent folder to pop up after I click "Go Parent Folder".
bugblatter

Post by bugblatter »

8 seconds? that IS slow. for a point of reference, mine takes about a second or less, and i've got a pentium 3-1000 with 1g mem, not really state-of-the-art. perhaps its something specific to your system - i've got about 1200 bookmarks in my library. or it could have something to do with firefox 3. i've found the new ff3 bookmarks library is very slow in general compared to ff2. Simple things like entering a folder in the right-hand pane (vs left) or just cutting and pasting bookmarks take a 2 or 3 of seconds (an eternity for me), which were instantaneous in ff2. hope that was helpful.
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

Alan Baxter wrote:Hi, Alice. I can't tell what the "Select all related bookmark" option does. The result seems to be the same whether it's checked or not. I see that it's checked by default, so I'll leave it that way. Thank you for notifying us of the update.

arete7 wrote:I can't get the new "related bookmark" option to do anything different either. Arrgghh, it's driving me crazy! :) Just kidding. Thanks for all the useful extensions, Alice.

When a command was carried out in the search results of the bookmark sidebar, a difference will appear.
When it was attached plural tags the bookmark, A pro-folder and those bookmark are chosen.
When an option is off, only bookmark located in the upper part in a tree is chosen.
greg.bakker wrote:Thanks for this handy addon. But, it is a bit slow. For me it takes about eight seconds for the parent folder to pop up after I click "Go Parent Folder".

arete7 wrote:8 seconds? that IS slow. for a point of reference, mine takes about a second or less, and i've got a pentium 3-1000 with 1g mem, not really state-of-the-art. perhaps its something specific to your system - i've got about 1200 bookmarks in my library. or it could have something to do with firefox 3. i've found the new ff3 bookmarks library is very slow in general compared to ff2. Simple things like entering a folder in the right-hand pane (vs left) or just cutting and pasting bookmarks take a 2 or 3 of seconds (an eternity for me), which were instantaneous in ff2. hope that was helpful.

It takes time very much to find the bookmark position from a tree.
It is in particular remarkable when "Select all related bookmark" option is turned on.
This is a problem of selectItems method in tree.xml.
As for improving this, a prospect is not in sight for the moment.
bugblatter

Post by bugblatter »

Greg, I take what I said before back: In the sidebar it does take about 4-5s for me. similar to your time. I originally tried it in the library window, which only takes about 1s. Odd that it is different, but if I understand alice's explanation correctly, it might be because of this "Select all related bookmark" feature affects only the sidebar. I tried unchecking it, but I got about the same time.

Alice, thanks for the info. As for what this feature does, it's still a bit of a mystery, but I probably misunderstood you or missed something obvious. You don't have to bother explaining it again, but I will put what I found for others. I tried giving a bookmark multiple tags, as you said, but it only seemed to affect the smart bookmark folder "Recent Tags". The bookmark and its parent folder are selected, as well as in each of its tags under "Recent Tags". If the feature is unchecked, then it is only selected under one tag under "Recent Tags", but not under its parent folder (bug?), although the parent folder is itself selected. If you delete the "Recent Tags" folder, then nothing outside default behavior seems to happen.
notonymous

Post by notonymous »

arete7 wrote: If the feature is unchecked, then it is only selected under one tag under "Recent Tags", but not under its parent folder (bug?), although the parent folder is itself selected. If you delete the "Recent Tags" folder, then nothing outside default behavior seems to happen.

Something similar happens if the URL was recently bookmarked -- the entry in "Recent Bookmarks" is selected. I suggest a change so that dynamic entries like those in the "Recent Tags" and "Recent Bookmarks" folders are ignored when searching for the parent.
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

notonymous wrote:
arete7 wrote: If the feature is unchecked, then it is only selected under one tag under "Recent Tags", but not under its parent folder (bug?), although the parent folder is itself selected. If you delete the "Recent Tags" folder, then nothing outside default behavior seems to happen.

Something similar happens if the URL was recently bookmarked -- the entry in "Recent Bookmarks" is selected. I suggest a change so that dynamic entries like those in the "Recent Tags" and "Recent Bookmarks" folders are ignored when searching for the parent.

Version 1.6 released.
Improved: Shortened time to search for a parent-folder in the Sidebar when "Select all related bookmark" option is off.
Fixed bug: Dynamic entries like those in the "Recent Tags" and "Recent Bookmarks" folders are ignored when searching for the parent without "Select all related bookmark" option.
notonymous

Post by notonymous »

Alice0775 wrote:Version 1.6 released.
Improved: Shortened time to search for a parent-folder in the Sidebar when "Select all related bookmark" option is off.
Fixed bug: Dynamic entries like those in the "Recent Tags" and "Recent Bookmarks" folders are ignored when searching for the parent without "Select all related bookmark" option.

Well done ... a noticable improvement :-)
wfiveash

Post by wfiveash »

Using FF 3.0.1 on OS X 10.4.11 I am unable to install this addon. FF reports it could not install the file because: Invalid file hash (possible download corruption) -261
Anyone else see this?
wfiveash

Post by wfiveash »

wfiveash wrote:Using FF 3.0.1 on OS X 10.4.11 I am unable to install this addon. FF reports it could not install the file because: Invalid file hash (possible download corruption) -261
Anyone else see this?

Same thing is true for the Show Parent folder addon. I tried to install it from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7372
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

@wfiveash

This error message may be caused when the Firefox disallow third party cookies. To accept the third party cookies:

go to Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> tick 'Accept third party cookies'.

Edit: typo. :wink:
Last edited by Alice0775 on August 15th, 2008, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.