FF3 "Bookmark this page" popup

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
AlanMintaka

FF3 "Bookmark this page" popup

Post by AlanMintaka »

Hi Everyone,
I'm using FF3 RC1. When I click on the "Bookmark this page" option (or press CTRL+D), a popup titled "Page Bookmarked" appears in the upper right corner of the FF window. The bookmarks folder navigation in this popup works pretty much the same as it did in FF2, so I have no problem there. The issue I have is with the location of the popup, which is always far removed from whatever I'm doing with the mouse. I wasn't able to find a way to change the position of it.

Is there a way to get that popup to appear somewhere else in the FF3 application window?

Thanks for your time,
Big Al Mintaka
"I was a victim of coicumstances !!! Woo woo woo !!!"
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

AlanMintaka,
Forum signatures are limited to three lines here. You have 10 at this point. Please change it. Thanks.
360gurl70s

Post by 360gurl70s »

maybe we should get a filter in the sig rules for lines. I have removed mine for now for compliance [mini punishment you gave me] Sorry to make your day a bit hard today. hehe
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Read the rules, like you were supposed to when you registered.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Thank you, AlanMintaka, for changing it and not arguing. Very pleasant.
retrobeat

Post by retrobeat »

AlanMintaka: the placing of the bookmark popup has changed with respect to the 'Star'-functionality. You can now bookmark pages even faster when single-clicking the star in the address bar - and double-clicking the star gives you the bookmark popup very close to your mouse location at that point.
AlanMintaka

Post by AlanMintaka »

RE this post,

Daifne wrote:Read the rules, like you were supposed to when you registered.

Was this meant for me, or 360gurl70s?
Big Al Mintaka
AlanMintaka

Post by AlanMintaka »

retrobeat wrote:AlanMintaka: the placing of the bookmark popup has changed with respect to the 'Star'-functionality. You can now bookmark pages even faster when single-clicking the star in the address bar - and double-clicking the star gives you the bookmark popup very close to your mouse location at that point.

Since this star is located on the far right side of the URL window, double clicking on it makes the popup appear exactly where it does when I click on "Bookmark this page" - so this doesn't solve the position problem, because you still have to move the pointer all the way over there to click on that star in the first place.

CTRL-D remains the fastest way to get that popup to appear so you can then put the bookmark where you want it in the folder tree. However this popup really should appear wherever the mouse cursor is when CTRL-D is pressed (or "Bookmark this page" is clicked).

The popup menu containing the "Bookmark this page" option appears right where the pointer is when the mouse is right-clicked. Why not the bookmarks popup as well?

Thanks,
Big Al Mintaka
AlanMintaka

Post by AlanMintaka »

Daifne wrote:Thank you, AlanMintaka, for changing it and not arguing. Very pleasant.

Actually, I can't take your credit because I never had the chance to argue or change the signature. I had gone to bed by the time you posted your first two messages. First thing today I saw a private message about the sig and that I "did not respond" so it was removed by the moderator.

It wouldn't have mattered. I screwed up and would have taken it down anyway as soon as I got your messages and postings.

And as far as arguing goes... well, since I lost the really big argument with old age, I pretty much gave up on everything else too. Even <Tourette's Syndrome> politics and religion.

For other reasons though, I just couldn't leave it alone. Hope this one is OK,
Big Al Mintaka
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Sorry Al,
That comment was intended for 360gurl70s, who was being exceedingly annoying.

That one is just fine and I'm really sorty your topic got hijacked with this.
Oropher

Post by Oropher »

AlanMintaka wrote:Since this star is located on the far right side of the URL window, double clicking on it makes the popup appear exactly where it does when I click on "Bookmark this page" - so this doesn't solve the position problem, because you still have to move the pointer all the way over there to click on that star in the first place.

You could use a usercrome hack to center the Edit Bookmark panel like the old dialog box used to be.

AlanMintaka wrote:CTRL-D remains the fastest way to get that popup to appear so you can then put the bookmark where you want it in the folder tree. However this popup really should appear wherever the mouse cursor is when CTRL-D is pressed (or "Bookmark this page" is clicked).

The popup menu containing the "Bookmark this page" option appears right where the pointer is when the mouse is right-clicked. Why not the bookmarks popup as well?

Likewise, you could probably do this with userchrome (or else an extension). However, while it may be good for you :) it wouldn't make a good default setting, as the bookmark panel is not a context menu.
Bozz

Post by Bozz »

I sure would like to know what that userChrome hack would be because I haven't been able to move it from where the star is.
Oropher

Post by Oropher »

bozz wrote:I sure would like to know what that userChrome hack would be because I haven't been able to move it from where the star is.

OK, I guess I was wrong. When the new panel first landed, it was centered; I assumed it had been moved with CSS. I should have checked that first.

I'll step back and let the theme experts sort this one out, rather than make a bigger mess.
Last edited by Oropher on June 4th, 2008, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bozz

Post by Bozz »

Oropher wrote:
bozz wrote:I sure would like to know what that userChrome hack would be because I haven't been able to move it from where the star is.

OK, maybe I was wrong. When the new panel first landed, it was centered; I assumed it had been moved with CSS. I should have checked that first.

I think when you first install Firefox the urlbar is somewhat centered in the navigation bar so it would appear centered. If you move the urlbar the popup follows it being locked to that darned star.
AlanMintaka

Post by AlanMintaka »

Daifne wrote:Sorry Al,
That comment was intended for 360gurl70s, who was being exceedingly annoying.
That one is just fine and I'm really sorry your topic got hijacked with this.

Not a problem at all. It had to be done somewhere, might as well be here. Besides,
the topic is still generating responses, the latest about possible hacks in the CSS files. I never thought
of that.

Have a good one,
Big Al Mintaka