[Ext] Tab Kit 0.5.7 (2009-07-06)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
wooger

OS X support - Please add this for the love of all that is

Post by wooger »

The new version 0.4 with Firefox 3.0 support works perfectly for me on Windows, but I just noticed that I can no longer install it on OS X.

This is a nightmare for me, the alternatives to Tab kit are barely usable, and I've been struggling along with Tree Style Tab for a few month's now. I just found out Tab Kit now works with FF3, only to have my hopes dashed again straight away.

Any specific reason why OS X is different, and is there anything I can do force the install and see what happens?

In reply to Deadman36g above - for undoing closed tabs, just install session manager and scrap TMP, I can't imagine what you need it for.
Jomel

Re: OS X support - Please add this for the love of all that

Post by Jomel »

wooger wrote:The new version 0.4 with Firefox 3.0 support works perfectly for me on Windows, but I just noticed that I can no longer install it on OS X.

Nothing's changed on the Tab Kit side, but last time I checked Tab Kit was incompatible with the default Mac OS X theme, so for now I marked it as incompatible to avoid confusing users.

You can force install it by clicking See All Versions and then picking Add to Firefox (Linux) for the most recent version (0.4) [or you could use Add to Firefox (Windows), they're identical].

If this works for you (especially things like multiple rows, making the tab bar vertical, and colouring groups) please let me know (including whether you're using the default theme, and if not which themes) and I'll mark it as compatible (and add a note about themes). Thanks :)
Creator of:
- Tab Kit: Tab grouping, multi-rows, tree view, and various tweaks for power users
- Tabs Open Relative: Tabs open right of current
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite
D555

Post by D555 »

Jomel
Thanks a lot for your great extensions!

I'd like to suggest to implement one very usefull thing - horizontal scrolling tabs... like Tab Overflow Scrollbar:
https://addons.mozilla.org/ru/firefox/addon/3726

Please, it needed very much !!!
Jomel

Post by Jomel »

D555 wrote:horizontal scrolling tabs... like Tab Overflow Scrollbar

Yup, it's on the To-Do list. I've done something similar before in fact.
Creator of:
- Tab Kit: Tab grouping, multi-rows, tree view, and various tweaks for power users
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite
wooger

Re: OS X support - Please add this for the love of all that

Post by wooger »

Jomel wrote:
wooger wrote:The new version 0.4 with Firefox 3.0 support works perfectly for me on Windows, but I just noticed that I can no longer install it on OS X.

Nothing's changed on the Tab Kit side, but last time I checked Tab Kit was incompatible with the default Mac OS X theme, so for now I marked it as incompatible to avoid confusing users.

You can force install it by clicking See All Versions and then picking Add to Firefox (Linux) for the most recent version (0.4) [or you could use Add to Firefox (Windows), they're identical].

If this works for you (especially things like multiple rows, making the tab bar vertical, and colouring groups) please let me know (including whether you're using the default theme, and if not which themes) and I'll mark it as compatible (and add a note about themes). Thanks :)

Thanks so much Jomel.

You're right about the default MacOS X theme being incompatible, as is the popular Grapple theme (makes FF look identical to Safari). I've now tried out about 10 or so themes, and found a few that work well - it's generally the more windows looking themes that work best.

I'm currently using the NASA night launch theme, and all is well.

Functionally, I have no complaints, every feature I've used seems to work fine.
AlanMartin

Post by AlanMartin »

Hi Jomel
I'm so grateful to you for this add-on.

I used TabMix Plus for a long time but have recently uograded to FireFox 3 RC2 and TMP is unavailable. So I browsed through all the tab related add-ons and found something I prefer to TMP any way - Tab Kit of course :)

Just one feature is not working here - the tabs are all the same color, the same as the background of the tab bar and all my toolbars. I've tried all three choices in the Options
AlanMartin

Post by AlanMartin »

ooops the above got sent before I finished it. I should add:

"Autodetect Themes" and "Color tabs by group and labels if highlighted" both make the current tab have white text on a black background.

"Color labels by group and tabs if highlighted" makes the current one have white text on a pale gray background (which is almost unreadable)

I'm running Firefox without any themes, no userChrome.css file, in XP with the classic look.

Is there anything I can do to make the group coloring work?

Even like this, the indents still give a fair indication of the grouping, so it's no a serious problem.
Jomel

Post by Jomel »

Hi AlanMartin, try temporarily creating a new profile and trying Tab Kit on its own, without any other extensions installed. If that fixes it, then go back to your current profile and try disabling extensions to work out if/which one is causing problems (to save time, you could try disabling half at once to eliminate more possibilities, etc). Hope that helps!
Creator of:
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite
nomaded

scrollbar with vertical tabbar?

Post by nomaded »

I just installed Tab Kit 0.4 on Fx3 RC2 on OSX. It seems to work with the default OSX theme. I'm not seeing anything obviously wrong, but this is the first time I'm using Tab Kit.

I wanted to ask about the scrollbar. I have the tabbar set to display vertically, on the left side of the window. It seems to work pretty well, except that if I have enough tabs, the tabs get pushed off the bottom of the screen, but with no scrollbar. I've been having a similar issue with TabMixPlus and the Widefox userChrome.css settings. I was hoping that Tab Kit would have this fixed, or at least have a more responsive author.

Thanks.
AlanMartin

Post by AlanMartin »

Hi Jomel
Thanks for your prompt reply - and the link to "temporarily creating a new profile" to make it easy.

That has fixed it.
I've reinstalled all my add-ons (Adblock Plus and its subscriptions, DOM Inspector, Web Developer, No Squint, Stylish and its contents) without breaking TK's coloring. There must have been something in my old profile but I don't know what.

I guess it's a good idea to start a new profile anyway when switching to a new major version of Firefox - for example my old about:config was full of settings left over from old add-ons which I don't use now.

Thanks again for sharing your excellent add-on with us all. It really does make a difference to multi-tab browsing.

Alan
Jomel

Re: scrollbar with vertical tabbar?

Post by Jomel »

nomaded wrote:I just installed Tab Kit 0.4 on Fx3 RC2 on OSX. It seems to work with the default OSX theme. I'm not seeing anything obviously wrong, but this is the first time I'm using Tab Kit.

I wanted to ask about the scrollbar. I have the tabbar set to display vertically, on the left side of the window. It seems to work pretty well, except that if I have enough tabs, the tabs get pushed off the bottom of the screen, but with no scrollbar. I've been having a similar issue with TabMixPlus and the Widefox userChrome.css settings.

Hi Nomaded,
Chances are it's a problem with the OSX theme. Try the NASA Night Launch theme and see if things work better (if so you could obviously try other themes until you find one that both works and is nice).
Creator of:
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite
nomaded

Post by nomaded »

Ok, I think what I was seeing was some weird state where both Tab Kit and TMP were active at the same time. Once I disabled TMP, the default OSX theme definitely stopped playing nice, but I got a scrollbar. I did try the NASA Night Launch theme and it seems to work well, but I found it way too dark. I'm still in the hunt for a fairly simple theme - I had been using Opaque with Fx2.

With the combo of Tab Kit and Session Manager, I think I'll be completely dropping TMP. One little feature I'd love to see from Tab Kit (or maybe pointers to another extension) is the ability to right-click a link and choose to open it in the foreground, background or current tab.

Jomel, thanks for updating Tab Kit to work with Fx3.
Jomel

Post by Jomel »

nomaded wrote:Ok, I think what I was seeing was some weird state where both Tab Kit and TMP were active at the same time.

With the combo of Tab Kit and Session Manager, I think I'll be completely dropping TMP. One little feature I'd love to see from Tab Kit (or maybe pointers to another extension) is the ability to right-click a link and choose to open it in the foreground, background or current tab.

Yeah, Tab Kit definitely isn't compatible with TMP for now. Glad it works :)

Try Open link in... for the links. Though you can do two of those (open in current tab and open in background) just by left-clicking and Cmd-clicking...
Creator of:
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite
nomaded

Post by nomaded »

Thanks for the suggestion of Open link in... It sorta works, but it doesn't seem to play so well with the grouping. I think I need to play with the grouping options a bit more to understand the differences.

I do have one question - is there a way to return to the last viewed tab after closing a tab?

Thanks again.
Jomel

Post by Jomel »

nomaded wrote:Thanks for the suggestion of Open link in... It sorta works, but it doesn't seem to play so well with the grouping.

Oh, yeah, the automatic grouping isn't always very good for functionality added by extensions, since it's hard to guess the intent of commands :|
Currently this all has to be hardcoded; in future I might try cleverer techniques like tracking mouseclicks to see if something was triggered by the page context menu.

nomaded wrote:I do have one question - is there a way to return to the last viewed tab after closing a tab?

I use Dao's Ctrl-Tab for this (it also adds a nice tab thumbnail view if you left-click the All Tabs button (or press F4) that can be filtered by title/url etc.
Creator of:
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite