Unofficial FB0.8 Branch build for OS X

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
MMx2000

Unofficial FB0.8 Branch build for OS X

Post by MMx2000 »

Hi all,

after the official OS X build (2004-01-16) did not work on my machine, I cooked up my own build and everybody who wants to can test it, too.

here you can find the latest builds: http://firebird.kicks-ass.org/download/unofficial/nightly/

Note that the "ppc_PBG4" build is optimized for my PB G4 (867MHz, OSX 10.2.8), the plain "ppc" should run on every machine with OSX 10.2 or higher.

I would appreciate some feedback whether the builds work or not.

Have fun . . . Martin
In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?
sirsquirrelly

Post by sirsquirrelly »

The official OS X build (2004-01-16) didn't work on my machine either. But your build here seems to be working good for me. I haven't noticed any issues worth mentioning. Feels like Firebird to me. Using the regular ppc build on my PB G4 500mhz running 10.3.2
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040910 Firefox/0.10
http://www.shirtrat.net
blauigel

Post by blauigel »

Thanks, MMx, for doing this! It definitely fills a need for a number of us.
shorlander

Post by shorlander »

I have a question. After you compile it, how did you package it? I can't seem to get the thing to package right.
MMx2000

Post by MMx2000 »

shorlander wrote:I have a question. After you compile it, how did you package it? I can't seem to get the thing to package right.
The "Mozilla Firebird.app" is located in "mozilla/dist/". There I just do a "cp -RL Mozilla\ Firebird.app <destination>/Mozilla\ Firebird.app".

That did the trick for me, the packager did not work. Neither does plain copy, because the "Mozilla Firebird.app" consist primarely of symlinks.

Good Luck . . . Martin
shorlander

Post by shorlander »

MMx2000 wrote:
shorlander wrote:I have a question. After you compile it, how did you package it? I can't seem to get the thing to package right.
The "Mozilla Firebird.app" is located in "mozilla/dist/". There I just do a "cp -RL Mozilla\ Firebird.app <destination>/Mozilla\ Firebird.app".

That did the trick for me, the packager did not work. Neither does plain copy, because the "Mozilla Firebird.app" consist primarely of symlinks.

Good Luck . . . Martin

Heh, completely forgot about -L option : )

I did edit the package script but I ended up with a 45 MB Firebird.app

Thanks
darrenism

Post by darrenism »

This is one of the snappiest builds I've used yet on my g3 900. Much karma to you.
GCG

Post by GCG »

Kudos to MMx! I agree it's one of the fastest versions of FB for the Mac to come along in some time! Many thanks!
MMx2000

Post by MMx2000 »

blauigel wrote:Thanks, MMx, for doing this! It definitely fills a need for a number of us.

darrenism wrote:This is one of the snappiest builds I've used yet on my g3 900. Much karma to you.

GCG wrote:Kudos to MMx! I agree it's one of the fastest versions of FB for the Mac to come along in some time! Many thanks!

Thanks to all of you for all the positive feedback. It's definitely nice to hear that my work is appreciated.
After all the experience I gained the last few days, I think about putting together a few optimized builds for OS X of the final FB 0.8.
For that, I'd like to know what processors are in use (type "hostinfo" in the Terminal, that one will tell you what you've got, e.q. ppc7450 for mine). Please let me know here or by PM.

UPDATE:
I uploaded fresh builds today, checked out of CVS at 10:15 UTC 2004-01-22
In the same turn, I removed the old "ppc" build, because it had a "wrong" timestamp. (build date, not code date)

For these builds, same applies as for the old ones: "ppc_PBG4" is optimized for my ppc7450 processor.

Have fun testing, I am looking forward to your feedback.

Greetings . . . Martin
Last edited by MMx2000 on January 22nd, 2004, 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GCG

Post by GCG »

Hi-
I'd like to see your version of 0.8+, asap. If your current release is any indication your talent, it might be a good idea for the Moz Team to consider your versions in the Trunk! Very nice app! Thanks.
MMx2000

Post by MMx2000 »

GCG wrote:I'd like to see your version of 0.8+, asap. If your current release is any indication your talent, it might be a good idea for the Moz Team to consider your versions in the Trunk! Very nice app! Thanks.

I don't know what the main difference between my and the official build is. (exept for my PBG4 optimization of course). All I noticed is that they use "static", "prebinding" and "disable-shared", which I don't. I gotta play around with it a little I guess.
I would'd claim that I posses enough expertise in this matter to replace any official builds.
I first did this because I wanted to test the German language pack for 0.8 and there was no nighty avaliable. Then I built another one for a friend of mine with an iBook G3. After that I decided to make them avaliable. So it all startet . . .

My plans so far are:
After the 0.8 release I want to build some optimized builds of the final release.
Whether I build trunk builds or not, I don't know yet. The problem is that my only Mac is my tiny 12" PB G4, which normally does not sit at one spot long enough to run a build. The only way would be to run it over night (starting at 22:00 UTC over here), but that means: max. one build per day. So I would have to decide for one processor type.
Which brings me to this point again: please let me know what processors you have!

So far for now . . . Martin
shorlander

Post by shorlander »

Would you mind posting your mozconfig file?
MMx2000

Post by MMx2000 »

shorlander wrote:Would you mind posting your mozconfig file?

pretty much is already revealed when you type "about:buildconfig" in the location bar. I must admit that I probably use a few options that are ignored anyway (like "default-toolkit=mac" and "user-appdir").
As soon as I got this a little better figured out, I will post the file. (probably when I publish the optimized 0.8 finals)

Greetings . . . Martin
njvack

DOMi?

Post by njvack »

Great build! It'd been a long time since I upgraded :)

Is there any way to get the DOM inspector in this build? That's the one thing I really miss about FB/OSX.

Thanks MMx!
ankh

Post by ankh »

I also have a G3/900 mhz, currently using OSX 10.2.8.
1024 M of RAM, the maximum for the Pismo.

Now using the main version downloaded yesterday:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.7a) Gecko/20040122 Firebird/0.8

But eager to try yours if you keep making one for this CPU.