miniT 20110327

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
dorando

Post by dorando »

I was able to reproduce it with "Toolbar Enhancements 0.11" and "miniT 0.7.0.3" installed. I'll check it.
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

I suspected them too, but i disabled them and the problem persisted...

note the d on the end of Session Saver 0.2d... This is a total rewrite by the same person who makes adblock...

Something else worth bringing up... if you have a slow connection, or a page which is really slow loading, and hasn't added any content to the window yet, using Ctrl-Tab, you can switch TO the tab, but not AWAY... (this is standard firebird behaviour, it happens with/without any extensions) However, using the scrollwheel on the tabs with this extension (also TBE) it allows you to scroll over and across the same tabs standard keyboard shortcuts struggled over... I want to get to the bottom of this, as it really ticks me off (this stalling on unloaded tabs buisness)

(Edited SS version to be correct :) )
Last edited by TychoQuad on January 23rd, 2004, 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
frease

Post by frease »

But I am using rue's Session Saver 0.2d too. But yours is 0.2b....
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

Frease: Sorry about that, I am using d as well... I went back and edited my posts :P

dorando: Thanks for taking the time to hunt down my stupid little bug... It would be the extension I would least expect, wouldn't it? :P

Anyway, I still think it is odd that I can scroll through loading tabs with the wheel, but not with the keyboard, and when doing so with the wheel, I don't experience any problems whatsoever... I always assumed scrolling on the tabbar just invoked the keyboard shortcuts in these types of extensions, but it doesn't appear so. Regardless of whether the conflict between TBX and miniT is sorted out or not, I think the Ctrl-Tab and Ctrl-Shift-Tab keycombos should be changed to do the same function as the mousewheel over the tabs. (if not just in this extension, why not the core?) That would also eliminate my risk of crash which is also assosiated with the dodgy keyboard shortcuts: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=47220
dorando

Post by dorando »

TychoQuad wrote:Thanks for taking the time to hunt down my stupid little bug... It would be the extension I would least expect, wouldn't it? :P

Toolbar Enhancements changes the binding for "tabbox" which seems to cause this problem if the tabbrowser was accessed before (even without changing anything).

Until I've time to think about a fix you can open 'chrome/overlayinfo/browser/content/overlays.rdf' in your profile and move '<RDF:li>chrome://minit/content/minit.xul</RDF:li>' above '<RDF:li>chrome://toolbarext/content/</RDF:li>'. That should hopefully work.

TychoQuad wrote:I think the Ctrl-Tab and Ctrl-Shift-Tab keycombos should be changed to do the same function as the mousewheel over the tabs.

They already use the same functions, the problem is likely that the tabbox doesn't receive keyboard event until the tabbrowser got any content.
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

dorando wrote:Until I've time to think about a fix you can open 'chrome/overlayinfo/browser/content/overlays.rdf' in your profile and move '<RDF:li>chrome://minit/content/minit.xul</RDF:li>' above '<RDF:li>chrome://toolbarext/content/</RDF:li>'. That should hopefully work.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

They already use the same functions, the problem is likely that the tabbox doesn't receive keyboard event until the tabbrowser got any content.

Is it possible for you to change this? I'm guessing the crash is caused by me trying to switch tabs at the same time content is loaded... Perhaps you could fool tabs into thinking they always have content when they just have a placeholder for content when it arrives?
frease

Post by frease »

dorando:

Have you tried rue's Session Saver 2d? After using it with minit, the tabs arrangement is not remembered after a restart.
dorando

Post by dorando »

TychoQuad wrote:Is it possible for you to change this?

Don't think so. :(

frease wrote:Have you tried rue's Session Saver 2d? After using it with minit, the tabs arrangement is not remembered after a restart.

:-k, perhaps you have also encountered this, but it also happens without miniT.
gpw1_1

Re: miniT 0.7.0.3

Post by gpw1_1 »

dorando wrote:miniT adds a few tab related functions:

1) docShell.allow* attributes can be changed via tab context menu.
2) Tabs can be switched by turning the mousewheel on the tab bar.
3) Bookmarks are opened in background if browser.tabs.loadInBackground is set to true.
4) New tabs can be opened by double clicking on any tab.
5) Tabs can be dragged. If dropped within the tab bar the tabs will be reordered, otherwise only the url is dropped as text/x-moz-url, text/html, or text/unicode.

Notes:
Only Mozilla Firebird.
Only profile installation.
No configurations.
Dragging tabs to the tab bar of another window does cause problems.
Likely conflicts with TBE, but you wouldn't need this anyway in that case.

Changes:
0.7.0.3 - miniT should now be fully initialized before Session Saver restores the session.
0.7.0.2 - tabs are now also draggable as text/x-moz-url and text/html.
0.7.0.1 - miniT used an object to read the prefs only available in pre 2002-09-18 builds or in Optimoz and Quicknote.

How do you know which miniT to download for WinXP sp1?
frease

Post by frease »

gpw1_1:

I am using winxp pro sp2 and I use 0.7.0.3
rue

Post by rue »

dorando:
If you bind the tabbrowser to your own xbl-binding, you can execute your modifications before anything else happens:
In your overlay, add this: <?xml-stylesheet href="chrome://minit/content/minit.css" type="text/css"?>
In your contents-folder, create the file "minit.css".
Inside, declare your binding: tabbrowser { -moz-binding: url("chrome://minit/content/minit.xml#tabbrowser") !important; }
Lastly, create "minit.xml" (same location) and define the binding:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<bindings id="adblockBindings"
   xmlns="http://www.mozilla.org/xbl"
   xmlns:xul="http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"
   xmlns:html="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" >

<binding id="tabbrowser"
      extends="chrome://global/content/bindings/tabbrowser.xml#tabbrowser">
      <implementation>
         <constructor>
            <![CDATA[

// any code inserted here is executed
               //  when the element is first constructed.
               //   (use 'this' to refer to the element, itself)

]]>
         </constructor>
      </implementation>
   </binding>

</bindings>
dorando

Post by dorando »

rue wrote:If you bind the tabbrowser to your own xbl-binding, you can execute your modifications before anything else happens[...]

Thanks, but one of the primary design goals for me was to archive these functions without XBL Bindings (might be an idiotic idea, tough).

My current test version (not uploaded) should hopefully be initialized after all bindings (which was the problem miniT had with Toolbar Enhancements), but before Session Saver (both original and yours).
rue

Post by rue »

Oh. For some reason I thought you intended yours to be standalone -- unmixed with other tabbrowser-enhancements.
I guess perpetual "compatibility maintenance" is assumed.
Btw, you could listen for a known "onload" event -- perhaps the tabbrowser's. That would ensure all bindings have completed. In a similar vein, you could wait for the window's "onload" and also modify any existing tabs as necessary (per SessionSaver).
dorando

Post by dorando »

Thanks again, but as said I already had a working approach (0.7.0.4), and another one was in preparation (0.7.0.5). Also I'm aware of other possible approaches if these cause problems.

---

New version up (actually two and actually yesterday): 0.7.0.4 and 0.7.0.5
0.7.0.4 should be initialized at the correct time, while it shouldn't matter for 0.7.0.5 in which order everything will be initialized. Also 0.7.0.5 should behave slightly better.

4711 pointed out to me that apparently on linux-gtk2+xft the DOMMouseScroll event will not be dispatched to the tab bar, but to the toolbar instead...
Instead of adding/removing the event handler on mouseover/mouseout, the event handler is now attached to the toolbar on linux since it doesn't seem to interfere with something else. Say if this is annoying and I'll modify it to only work on the tab bar.
mai9

Post by mai9 »

I have to say that I got used to scrolling on the tab bar :) I have a suggestion for that function: Would you like to add an accessibilty key for scrolling tabs?

ctrl+scroll is used to zoom text, what about alt+scroll?

I would like to have this so I can change tabs without moving the cursor up to the tabbar.