Phoenix... still alive!

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
pch

Phoenix... still alive!

Post by pch »

Many of you are worried about the phoenix development status.
I'm also still alive and Phoenix will continue but it's gonna be slow for a while.
Everyone's busy with other things right now.
Unlike Mozilla there are few people working on Phoenix. It's likely to go fast and then slow and then fast again depending on the priorities of the volunteers working on it.
Currently, I am finishing my PhD thesis. I have no time to work on Phoenix for at least one month. But for sure, I'll be back.
Dean, Jag and Varga have already joined the team and Phoenix is still in sync with the mozilla tree and it picks up fixes and improves even if there are some bugs, right now. People are still encouraged to write extensions based on 0.5. I think there won't be compatibility issues with 0.6
Last edited by pch on January 20th, 2003, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gyges

Post by Gyges »

Thanks for the update, I was very worried.
I really like Phoenix and I don't want it to die. I do wish I had the knowledge to program, but all I can do it download, use and test the features of Phoenix. I hope there are hundreds who feel the same way that I do and we can keep Phoenix, by whatever name, going until it's version 100 and more.
fgxh298

Post by fgxh298 »

Great news Pierre. We figured everyone was busy. I know this from experience also with little side projects done in my time with a friend. We have a period of time where we do alot of work and then a dry spell.

I appreciate you keeping us updated.
Arctic Dragon

Post by Arctic Dragon »

Glad to hear my favourite browser is still alive. :)
Thanks for the update.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

Arctic Dragon wrote:Glad to hear my favourite browser is still alive. :)
Thanks for the update.

Same here. I'm very happy to have read this thread. :)
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
malliz
Folder@Home

Great News!!!!

Post by malliz »

Thank (the deity of your choice) Phoenix is the best browser I have used and the thought that it might die was a bit disturbing to say the least!
thanks to the developers for all the work
flii

Post by flii »

i'll put my vote in here and say ty for someone in authority for letting us know this browser is still alive.

... and there was much rejoicing. :P
nic

Post by nic »

Thats good to hear.
To tell you the truth I haven't really run into any bugs or issues with 0.5. Although I'm always looking forward to an upgrade :)

Keep up the "good work". I beleive in things that are powerful and come in small packages.
jedbro

What are the roles...?

Post by jedbro »

Pierre! Thanks for the update!
This is very very good news (although Pheonix=dead I found too hard to believe).

I was wondering thought, what your "speciallity or Role" is in the Pheonix community? The only reason I ask is, I find it pretty cool to know who works on what.

Also wondering what Dean, Jag and Varga do?

This might be a egoistic/off the wall question... but I'm sure others out there would like to know who's working and doing what to our favorite browser so we can support them in the fullest!

Thanks so much for all your efforts and future efforts in Pheonix, and Good like with your thesis!

Anything you need, I'm sure we can help
Cheers!
Micha the not so Old

Phoenix lives

Post by Micha the not so Old »

I am glad to hear that. With 5 subjects to go on my Science degree, I have now switched to a double degree in Science and Computing, but that does not mean I will be able to contribute for a while. probably the opposite, as there is an increased workload.
daihard
Folder@Home

Re: Phoenix lives

Post by daihard »

m1scha_m wrote:I am glad to hear that. With 5 subjects to go on my Science degree, I have now switched to a double degree in Science and Computing, but that does not mean I will be able to contribute for a while. probably the opposite, as there is an increased workload.

Good luck! I'm sure the knowledge and expertise you gain as the result will help a lot of the future Phoenix-like projects. :)
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
myklgrant

Thanx for Phoenix

Post by myklgrant »

I have nothing but praise and thanks for the work you guys do. Phoenix has been the most fun with a computer I've had in a long time thanks to you guys. Milestone 0.5 is better than any browser I've used so I'm in no rush. So -Take your time - ace(?) that thesis, have a life.
The work the team has done has been so incredible we all can wait to see what's next. Thank-you for Phoenix. Good-luck on that thesis.
bellgamin

Re: Thanx for Phoenix

Post by bellgamin »

myklgrant wrote:Milestone 0.5 is better than any browser I've used

Ditto

myklgrant wrote:Thank-you for Phoenix. Good-luck on that thesis.

Double ditto!!!

shaloha.........bellgamin
jrt

Re: Phoenix... still alive!

Post by jrt »

pch wrote:Dean, Jag and Varga have already joined the team and Phoenix is still in sync with the mozilla tree and it picks up fixes and improves even if there are some bugs, right now. People are still encouraged to write extensions based on 0.5. I think there won't be compatibility issues with 0.6

Phoenix really isn't in sync with Mozilla, though. saveURI() (Save Image As..., et. al.) recently broke due to changes in Mozilla, and not only was no one around to fix it, but when I found the problem and supplied the patch, no one was around to check it in. I had to round up a 3rd party (Brian Ryner) to commit the change.

Also, you need not look further than <a href="http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4699">here</a> or <a href="http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3564">here</a> to see that Phoenix is suffering. Not to mention all of the various xpfe/ improvements over the past months that aren't in Phoenix.
tve

Post by tve »

good to hear! take your time, Phoenix can wait ;)
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>