GrayModern for Firebird has arrived.

Discuss application theming and theme development.
Zeron

GrayModern for Firebird has arrived.

Post by Zeron »

...Drumroll, please! (bruh-rum-pum-pum-pum...)

And here it is:

<a href="http://downloads.mozdev.org/themes/firefox/firebirdgraymodern7+.jar">Download link #1</a> (MozDev Mirror)
<a href="http://bellsouthpwp.net/g/r/grantabr/firefox/themes/firebirdgraymodern7+.jar">Download link #2</a> (My bandwidth-limited webspace. Use sparingly.)

Download and install using the Themer extension or use <a href="http://texturizer.net/firefox/themes/#install">Firefox Help's install tool</a>.

<b>This theme is compatible with the 0.8 Firefox release.</b> I don't know how it will fare with newer builds of Firefox. I personally use and tested it on the <i>official Firefox 0.8 release</i>.

Note: This theme is called <i>Firebird</i> GrayModern because at the time of release Firefox was still known as Firebird.

Props go out to Andrew Keyser (aka LegoGuy), for his <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=44655">update of Firebird Modern</a>, from which this is based. I only recolored the images using Paint Shop Pro and changed all the color codes in the CSS files to a desaturated color, that is, gray. It took me about 2.5-3 hours to do all the work and debug it as much as I did. <i>I know there are still bugs in it.</i> Some of the icons don't match just right, and there's bound to be stuff that I accidently broke. This is a hacked up job--don't expect perfection.

Furthermore, I won't be making another release of FBGM. I only did this because I wanted to see how easily it could be done, and if it came out alright, I would release it. At the moment, LegoGuy and Bernie are working on much better versions. Check the Themes forum for updates on their work. When their more polished versions are released, I will take this theme offline.

Use small icons for the best spacing. This is a bug in LegoGuy's theme that carried over.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Zeron on June 10th, 2004, 12:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hangnail

Post by Hangnail »

excellent! thanks! Gray modern has always been my favorite. That and the early early seamonkey themes.
gaspeer

Post by gaspeer »

Applause for such good work, to everyone involved. I haven't used "Modern" on Mozilla or Netscape for years, but I installed this on Firebird and love it.

Good work, all.

Gary Speer
chuonthis

Post by chuonthis »

Great theme! There are a couple weird things though (using on 1/10/04 Firebird):

1) I can see some dots around the download/history/bookmark/home button on the toolbar...like there was some heavy JPEG compression. Is that how it's supposed to be?

2) The window that asks whether you want to save or open a file when downloading is too short by like 20 pixels so the OK and Cancel buttons are a little cut off. Edit: Hmm...seems to be a come and go problem.

3) Is there a way to not have those blue lines in the back of the location bar and search bar?

Thanks!
liquidcell

Post by liquidcell »

I don't know if this is just me or its supposed to be like this but i only have a reload,stop, and home button on my tool bar i am running firebird .7 windows xp home 1280x1024 does anybody know how i could get those buttons? oh and btw yes i did go costumize tool bar and try and add the buttons but they ain't there.

thanks
frease

Post by frease »

liquidcell:

I think this theme is for the latest nightlies as there was a widgets/bindings change after 0.7.
liquidcell

Post by liquidcell »

sorry i am a nub i got mozilla but um is nightlies another broswer or plug-in? lol
frease

Post by frease »

Nightlies are builds that are made after the official release. These builds contains bug fixes etc after the official ones. See this website for more details. I don't explain well :oops:

http://www.squarefree.com/burningedge/
IGAU

Post by IGAU »

Nightlies are effectively "new versions" every night. They're the latest up-to-date code. Essentially, by making something 0.7+ compatible (not 0.7) it means that the theme will work for 0.8 (most people will use this), as well as recent nightly builds (mostly testers/techies). It wont work for 0.7 properly, but 0.8 is right around the corner, so wont be long to wait ;)
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

chuonthis wrote:1) I can see some dots around the download/history/bookmark/home button on the toolbar...like there was some heavy JPEG compression. Is that how it's supposed to be?

Oops. I opened up the .gif files in PSP7, increased colors to 16 million, and then used a tool to desaturate the edges around it. I didn't manually lower the colors down to 256 in the best way, instead I just saved it and it picked the best way to lower the colors automatically, which obviously wasn't very good, to say the least.

Anyway, the problem is pretty hard to discern on my 17" monitor on 1024x768 res. And I've got 20/15 vision too. You'd probably notice it at a lower res though (are you using 800x600?). I could redo the coloring, but seeing that Legoguy is going to make a much better version soon anyway it would just be a waste of time. Sorry.

chuonthis wrote:2) The window that asks whether you want to save or open a file when downloading is too short by like 20 pixels so the OK and Cancel buttons are a little cut off. Edit: Hmm...seems to be a come and go problem.

I don't see a problem here. Can you make some screenshots of the problem and the way it normally looks? Also, this is most likely a problem with Legoguy's Modern theme. I just did some recoloring; I doubt I messed up too much in the way of code itself.

chuonthis wrote:3) Is there a way to not have those blue lines in the back of the location bar and search bar?

That's a problem with the Legoguy's Modern theme. It just carried over.
zibit

Post by zibit »

Oh no. Link is dead.

Can someone mail it to me? zibit at hotmail dot com
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

This is hosted on my ISP's webspace, which has been down for the past couple hours. There's no ETA yet, as I was the first to report it (local ISP).

I'll e-mail it to you, but as a side note, it seems Firebird Help never received/responded to my submission of the theme over a week ago...

<b>Edit:</b> Now my FTP and e-mail are down. They must be working on it right now (I called them 10 minutes ago). I'm sending the file from an alternate e-mail address. Please do not share this e-mail address with anyone (nor post it on forums, newsgroups, etc. etc.), regardless of whether you mask it or not.

Yes, I'm spam-paranoid like that.
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

Everything is back online.

<b>Edit:</b> Also, this theme appears to work just fine on <i>Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7a) Gecko/20040131 Firebird/0.8.0+ (aebrahim)</a>.
Radiowriter

Post by Radiowriter »

The theme does not look right under Linux (0.7+ nightly). It looks like it's missing a sub-skin or something.

I love Gray Modern, though. I hope it gets fixed.
Sarcasm - Another service I offer.
Firefox 3.0 :: XP
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

Radiowriter wrote:The theme does not look right under Linux (0.7+ nightly). It looks like it's missing a sub-skin or something.

I love Gray Modern, though. I hope it gets fixed.

Please try the original <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=44655">Firebird Modern</a> (from which this theme is based) and let me know if the same thing happens. I do not have a Linux install set up at the moment, so I can't test it myself.