Firefox 3 Final , questions about the address bar

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Stenli_86

Firefox 3 Final , questions about the address bar

Post by Stenli_86 »

I install Firefox 3 Final.I downloaded add-on to change my url bar to the old one , this work fine.Next i want to make the url bar to show only addresses which i write in and press enter.Not every page i visit and something like this.In the old Firefox 2 i have 10 addresses written in in the address bar and they were saved there.All other things i have in my bookmarks and i visit them from there.But i want to see only these 10 sites when i press the pointer right of the address bar!No bookmarks and no all pages that i visited!Can anyone help me with this or i will have to downgrade to Firefox 2 for stupid thing like this?
Stenli_86

Re: Firefox 3 Final , questions about the address bar

Post by Stenli_86 »

I have find it in other post. This was what i looking for. 10x sharp65

"sharp65

Post Posted Today, 6:22 am

Try setting browser.urlbar.matchOnlyTyped to true."

This is done when you write " about:config " in the url bar and press enter.Then only must find that setting and change it.
Stenli_86

Post by Stenli_86 »

Only i don't know why when i write my sites in the address bar and save only them , they keep moving up or down when i visit them after ? Why they not stay in order that i write them once ? And they are changing position not in a,b,c... order , and not in last visited page order O_O What's going on :D In what order they are changing positions ?
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

by the ammount of times you visit it and based off of the adaptive learning. like if you type forum everyday to go to your forums, eventually which ever selection you pick from the list will move to the top because firefox will learn that that is the page you want most often when you type forum.

Read here for great info and explanation: http://www.dria.org/wordpress/archives/2008/04/17/628/
Last edited by supernova_00 on June 18th, 2008, 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stenli_86

Post by Stenli_86 »

supernova_00 wrote:by the ammount of times you visit it and based off of the adaptive learning. like if you type forum everyday to go to your forums, eventually which ever selection you pick from the list will move to the top because firefox will learn that that is the page you want most often when you type forum.

And can this also be changed to be no such moving ? The way the sites are written ones , that way they stay forever :roll:
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

Why not just use bookmarks then? Trust me, typing one letter and having the exact url come up that you want is a heck of a lot faster then scrolling through a list. And I have not seen anyway of disabling that.

Read here for great info and explanation: http://www.dria.org/wordpress/archives/2008/04/17/628/
Chaswp

Post by Chaswp »

supernova_00 wrote:Why not just use bookmarks then? Trust me, typing one letter and having the exact url come up that you want is a heck of a lot faster then scrolling through a list. And I have not seen anyway of disabling that.

Why not have the option NOT to use this unnecessary feature? Why do you persist in attempting to persuade people into using something that they don't like or were perfectly happy with simplicity. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the way the address bar worked previously. There should have been an option. Is this still Mozilla or is it turning into Mozillasoft?
Stenli_86

Post by Stenli_86 »

No way i use this bar again , now i have the old bar , i make the star in the bar also disappear , the menu shows only sites that i write in there and press enter.That's all i need.And i am not scrolling in the url bar , because i said i have there only 7-8 sites saved.I not write other sites in there.All other things are in bookmarks or i find from google.Only why they constantly moving.I want to know where each of these 7-8 sites is and every time i am starting it from there.Now i am looking where is and then start it.
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

Why? Becuase it saves times and eliminates the need to search google for every address like most users do. Most users have some search engine set as their home page, they search for whatever site they are looking for and click on the result that they wanted. The users don't know that they can just type the address in the address bar and if they do...now they can just type a letter or a few, pick the result and next time they type that letter or few letters...the result will be at the top due to the adaptive learning.

Did you even read the last link I gave that explains how to use the smart location bar? And yes that is its real name...the awesome bar is just a nickname that people gave it that love it (like myself).

Anyways, you may even want to read this. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=651854
Chaswp

Post by Chaswp »

supernova_00 wrote:Why? Becuase it saves times and eliminates the need to search google for every address like most users do. Most users have some search engine set as their home page, they search for whatever site they are looking for and click on the result that they wanted. The users don't know that they can just type the address in the address bar and if they do...now they can just type a letter or a few, pick the result and next time they type that letter or few letters...the result will be at the top due to the adaptive learning.

I work on people's systems all day long and not one of them has a search engine set as a home page. Most people have their home page set to MSN or Yahoo or some other page that is customized for a centralized one stop viewing with links to their favorite sites. I don't know which butt you pulled your information out of bud, but your information is to say the least, erroneous.

For people that already have a habitual way of using a browser, this "awfulbar" does nothing but clutter up what was otherwise a clean way of doing things. I, like quite a few others like our bookmarks separate, search engines separate and regular places visited separate. We should have a choice as to having a clean interface as opposed to this garbage with no option to turn it off. I'm not going to debate this any further. There should be an option to turn it off for those that don't want or need it.
markofkane

Post by markofkane »

Why ask why? Just give us a choice. I always use my bookmarks in the toolbar to go to my frequent sites. If I am looking for a website, I'll type it in that handy Google window right next to the address bar.
IMO, too many "conveniences" dumb down things. Like those cars that tell you that you have a low tire. And keeps telling you that you have a low tire after you fill it up.
My analogy of the awesomebar is this:
I open my file cabinet to look for the title to my car, all of a sudden, all my files fly out at me. I wasn;t looking for those files, I was looking for my car title.

I hate the awesomebar, and will never get used to it, or like it. But that's me. More power to those that love it.
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

search engine, web portal...basically the same thing because they all have a way of searching the web through that page. You know what I meant.

Why ask why? So people will know on how to improve upon the the feature it need be. Just saying its dumb or aweful does not help. Give it a few days and play with it and you'll learn to love it.

Play with it as in, type the letter m, scroll down to the mozilla.org entry, select it. Type in the letter m again and mozillazine.org should be near the top now and if it isn't select mozillazine.org again and it should be the next time. It is adpative learning and it works, works great.
Stenli_86

Post by Stenli_86 »

supernova_00 wrote:Why? Becuase it saves times and eliminates the need to search google for every address like most users do. Most users have some search engine set as their home page, they search for whatever site they are looking for and click on the result that they wanted. The users don't know that they can just type the address in the address bar and if they do...now they can just type a letter or a few, pick the result and next time they type that letter or few letters...the result will be at the top due to the adaptive learning.

Did you even read the last link I gave that explains how to use the smart location bar? And yes that is its real name...the awesome bar is just a nickname that people gave it that love it (like myself).

Anyways, you may even want to read this. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=651854

So you think you are very smart.OK.I am not just one USER.I know what i want to have in the browser.And i use a blank page when i start it.I type in google everything that i want to open and is not in my 7-8 saved sites in the address bar or in the bookmarks.And i never use the browser search.I use saved link in my address bar: google.bg :!: It saves me time , the stinking bar will show me hundreds of links with no connection to what i want.Is a mess , is full of everything you have visit.I know what i visit and i will go all the way to get there with no help of some stinking bar.I saw the link and closed it.I don't asking for teaching me in the new stinking bar , i have other questions that with the help of the good people i have solved.So don't try to teach me , OK :evil:
markofkane

Post by markofkane »

Why did we get Firefox?? Did we get it for the Awesome Bar? Well I didn't. I did not try any of the 3 betas, so I did not know this was coming. The Firefox people knew some people would hate it. That's why they had a way of disabling it about:config.

Is this a shotgun wedding? You'll learn to love her, or else!!! lol.
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

All I am saying is to give it some time and actually try it. Did you know that you can narrow the results to only what you have actually typed? Did you know you can do mutli word searches? I'm just suggesting you give it a few days until it can learn what you want when you click the drop-down arrow or type something in the location bar.

I hated the damn thing with a passion when it was first introduced and lobbied like yourself to give us an option, I was taught how to use it properly and now I can't browse without it. I'm stuck at work with IE and am completly forbidden of using Firefox here and I can't freakin stand the address bar autocomplete on IE (same behavior as Firefox 2)

EDIT: SInce it was introduced there have been probably a hundred threads on here about it and most of the people have eneded up liking it after they used it properly or understood how it worked. And just to please you, Opera is implementing this and that my friend is very annoying because it will even search within pages you have viewed and show you results of characters you have typed that even appear in the a sentance or word within the page and not just the title. I believe IE 8 is even looking into this also.

I have been using a internet browser since the first Mosiac version was release and I can tell you that this feature along with tabs are revolutionary and by far the best features of moden browsers. If we had started out using a browser with the smart location bar and Mozilla decided to implement what we are refferring to as the old way, you be here bitching about how the hell could they cripple the location bar and why would they ship it with some half assed implementation. Just get over your old way and try it for a while.