[Ext] Fission 1.0.9 [May '09, discontinued Sept '10]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
drewcovi

One little detail would make it SO PERFECT!

Post by drewcovi »

could the fission bar start with a fraction of the bar already showing right when pages BEGIN to load?

Safari, when it starts to load a page shows the blue bar across a small fraction of the Location bar, to let the user know that it has started loading a page.

Firefox instead has a ticker in the top right hand corner that spins around, but if you could have the loading bar show up immediately as the page begins to load (in whatever calculation, simply add a percentage to the beginning, and then take fractions of the remainder)

JUST an idea, but its SO close to perfect I thought id just throw that out there.

THANKS!
Denny Crane

Re: One little detail would make it SO PERFECT!

Post by Denny Crane »

[post deleted]
Last edited by Denny Crane on October 15th, 2011, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
cbolin

Re: [Ext] Fission 0.9.7.1 [May 17]

Post by cbolin »

0.9.7.1 works fine in Windows Vista for me with Location2.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4014

In OSX with release 3.0 it draws grey through the address bar and you can't read it. I am using the updated Location2. However both work together on Vista.

Disabling either addon corrects the problem.

Don't know whose issue it is...
orodoni

Post by orodoni »

Hello,
I'm using Firefox 3.0. I'm using Fission since last year, and I like it. I'm also using the Aquatint Redone 3.0.1, which is special for FF3. The problem is that the progress bar of Fission doesn't appear as a background to the address bar. Instead, it does appears as a giant progress bar with the height of the whole toolbar, with the address bar on top of it, and showing a plain white background. I will ask for support to the developer of the Aquatint theme. But I'd like that you know about that incompatibility too. With FF2, the last version of Fission, and the previous version of Aquatint theme, there was no-issues.
Thanks
Harlan879

Post by Harlan879 »

Same issue here, except I'm using the Aero Silver Fox theme instead. Functional, but kinda funny looking! :?

orodoni wrote:Hello,
I'm using Firefox 3.0. I'm using Fission since last year, and I like it. I'm also using the Aquatint Redone 3.0.1, which is special for FF3. The problem is that the progress bar of Fission doesn't appear as a background to the address bar. Instead, it does appears as a giant progress bar with the height of the whole toolbar, with the address bar on top of it, and showing a plain white background. I will ask for support to the developer of the Aquatint theme. But I'd like that you know about that incompatibility too. With FF2, the last version of Fission, and the previous version of Aquatint theme, there was no-issues.
Thanks
ewerybody

Post by ewerybody »

Hey hello! I love Fission! Its one of my favorite extensions because it enables me to get rid of the darn, space wasting Status Bar :]

one problem: I checked "[ ] connection status at the right ..." And now on FF3 the WHOLE page pops down 1 or 2 pixels if there the status rendered to the URL-bar and up again when the connection status disappears again. Thats quite annoying as you can imagine. Was no problem on FF2 and all other stuff doesn't do it! Its really only THAT checkbox!

unfortunately I just can't reproduce that at all if not on my usual setup :[ I mean I tried with a new user, installed fission, and put the stuff just how I have it: nothing :/ I think its maybe the font that I choose (or scaled).
look at these 2 shots:
http://goodsoul.de/_graphics/screenshots/aA_shot_24.jpg
http://goodsoul.de/_graphics/screenshots/aA_shot_25.jpg
ideas?

EDIT: ok I found how to repro this: Turn the size of the Dialogfield-Font up to 9!
Thats it! Right mouse button on Desktop > Properties > Display > Extended > Element: Dialoguefield. ( I hope you get there .. I just translatet it from german ;] )
Last edited by ewerybody on June 20th, 2008, 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

With FF2 and past versions of Fission, I was able to have a numerical percentage page load progress shown in the right side of the url bar using this code in the userchrome.js file:

/* URL Box - add Percentage Display */
/* Display the progress status as percentage at the right of the address bar */
if (window.Fission && document.getElementById("urlbar"))
{
(function() {
var label = document.createElement("label");
var iconBox = document.getElementById("lock-icon").parentNode;

iconBox.insertBefore(label, iconBox.firstChild);
document.getElementById("urlbar").addEventListener("ValueChange", function(aEvent) {
if (aEvent.originalTarget == Fission.mProgressBar)
{
var value = Fission.mProgressBar.value;
label.setAttribute("value", (value && value < 100)?value + " %":"");
}
}, true);
})();
}

This is not working in FF3 with the latest version of Fission - 0.9.7.2. Can anyone see the reason why?
zeniko

Post by zeniko »

doge: I've been looking into making the connection status message not take up more than half of the address bar - so far without success, though. Hints and patches are welcome.

kssekhar: Sounds like you've accidentally activated the "Progress bar at the right of the address bar" option.

wfbnadador: I currently prefer it the way it is. Until I change my mind, you might want to try this user style to display the Throbber at the very left of the address bar while the page is loading. (BTW: Posting some code which nicely implements this might help my mind change.)

cbolin: I'll leave that to Locationbar²'s author to fix.

Harlan879: I only support the default themes. Please ask the theme's author for a fix.

ewerybody: I'm still looking for a cleaner solution. Version 0.9.7.3 might fix your specific issue, though.

Ed1: Try replacing

Code: Select all

var iconBox = document.getElementById("lock-icon").parentNode;
with

Code: Select all

var iconBox = document.getElementById("urlbar-icons");
as there no longer is a Lock icon in Firefox 3.
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

Thank you very much, Zeniko. That code change works perfectly!! I'm very pleased.
Last edited by Ed1 on June 22nd, 2008, 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavidRegev

The Future of Fission

Post by DavidRegev »

Dawudd wrote:
  1. Middle-click on a link
  2. Switch tabs (if middle-clicking didn’t do that for you)
  3. Switch back to the first tab
  4. Expected result: address bar displays current location. Actual result: address bar still displays original active link (until the pointer is moved over another link). This result re-occurs if steps 2-3 are repeated. Workaround: unfocus the original clicked link, such as by clicking elsewhere on that page.

Hi again. In addition to the above bug persisting, I’d like to report that this bug also exists if 1–3 are replaced with
  1. Click on a normal link
  2. Click on the Back button
I know you’re probably sick of these bug reports. Unfortunately, I find that I’m still working around these focus issues on a regular basis. The fewer flaws Fission has, the more of a chance it has of getting incorporated into Firefox proper, and the status bar finally getting deprecated. One can dream. :)

On that note, I have been thinking a lot about what it would take to get Fission-like functionality accepted into Firefox. I love that it makes information normally displayed in the status bar more visible. I especially love the accidental feature of being able to edit a link before following it by using Ctrl+L. It’s much faster than copying-and-pasting, and I find that I really use this feature all the time. Unfortunately, I fear the constant changes to the location bar and the resulting errors may make it unsuitable for a mass audience. Moreover, Ctrl+L is too annoying and obscure, and it would be a shame if this use weren’t more mouse-friendly. So, I have come up with the following idea…

Instead of the active link being shown when hovering over a link, show it only when one is selected. This deals with both my issues. First, there is less confusion, as the location bar does not change all the time, but only when one actively selects linkified text. (It would also eliminate all those focus bugs I keep reporting.) And the active link display can be dismissed easily by clicking elsewhere to clear the selection. Second, the Ctrl+L functionality is replaced by a more normal and discoverable workflow: select the link you want to modify, go to the location bar, and modify it. As long as it’s selected, one can use the mouse to move the cursor to the location bar without the text changing.

This is not a feature request, but just an idea (though it would be cool if someone implemented it). I’d love to hear people’s thoughts on it.
BlaenkDenum

Post by BlaenkDenum »

Can you add 0.9.7.3 to Firefox' addons site? It's the only version that works with FF3 for me, the other version doesn't show the animation. Thanks! Awesome extension by the way.
demodex

Post by demodex »

Hi there!
I've got a problem with colors.
When I change the color of the bar, it returns grey when I restart firefox.
What can I do to fix this problem?
I'm using latest firefox version on Windows Vista Premium 32Bits.
I haven't got this problem in latest firefox version on XP (and less firefox extensions installed)
Geo123

Post by Geo123 »

when downloading something the download manager icon appear in the status bar. It would be neat if the download manager icon appear in the address bar. Is this possible to do?
Geo123

Post by Geo123 »

I have the Connection status at right of address bar option enabled and i could see the connection status on the status bar. So basically i have two connection status bar one in address bar and two in status bar. Is this a bug? I also have another issue when switching tabs the progress in address bar seem to lag. either this is cause by my computer or a bug.

Can someone share a custom image you guys are using for the progress bar. can't seem to create a image that look shiny like the back/forward button in Vista.
zeniko

Post by zeniko »

Dawudd: One issue I don't see how you'd have envisioned: how exactly do you select a link to start with? At least left-clicking on it just navigates to it - and everything else will be about as discoverable as Ctrl+L.

BlaenkDenum: There haven't been any substantial changes between version 0.9.7.1 and 0.9.7.3 - in fact I just fixed two quite rare theme-related bugs. So I'll instead upload the next version to AMO, once it's ready.

demodex: This sounds like either your preferences aren't correctly saved when you exit Firefox (does this also happen when you change e.g. the "When Firefox starts" option?) or that you override this preference at every startup (anything inside user.js?).

Geo123: As for the download indicator, that's surely possible. I'm not convinced, though, that such functionality really fits Fission's intentions (which isn't just about moving everything from the status bar to the location bar). As for the duplicate connection status, that's something I'll look into once I've got some time to spare. Finally the lag you notice is actually a Firefox bug (you'll note the exact same lag when you disable Fission and observe the progress bar in the status bar).