Resize bookmarks window, how?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
SilverTonguedDevil

Resize bookmarks window, how?

Post by SilverTonguedDevil »

In FF3, the window that opens to add a bookmark is very tiny. I can't locate any resize handles. How the heck can I make it larger? And don't tell me to scroll, scroll, and scroll some more. FF2 had wonderful resize capability for the bookmarks window so I am sure that hasn't been neglected in FF3.
Ephilei

Re: Resize bookmarks window, how?

Post by Ephilei »

No, it has been removed. In accordance with Apple's UI guidelines, I guess. idk. either click a couple times and use the Organize Bookmarks window or change your folders. try replacing folders with tags which will solve your problem if you can make that switch.
Euchre

Post by Euchre »

I think you may be able to resize the dialog via userChrome.css if you can find the right class or object name for it. You'd have to use CSS to change it's size. Anyone reading happen to know their way around the dom?

Edit: I tripped on the answer in another thread a bit down the list. Place this value in userChrome.css:

Code: Select all

/*
* FF3.0, FORCE LARGER DISPLAY OF 'BOOKMARK THIS PAGE' POP-UP
*/
#editBookmarkPanelContent
{
min-width:600px !important;
}
min-height:450px !important;
}

If those dimensions do not suit you, you can adjust them to your liking. They are in pixels, although I suppose you might be able to set them as percentages (which would make more sense to me).
Last edited by Euchre on June 19th, 2008, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gecko
One Rendering Engine to rule them all.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

#editBookmarkPanel {
  width: 50em !important;
  height: 45em !important;
}

Play with the numbers until it is sized the way you want. Some additional code may be required for the buttons at the bottom (Done, Cancel) as the are stretched horribly for me on Vista.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
SilverTonguedDevil

Thanks to each of you who have offered a window size hack. What I am looking for is a corner resize handle. Every window should offer a corner resize handle. The "organize bookmarks" window can be easily resized with the corner handle so why not the "add bookmarks" window? I am baffled as to what has happened here. I can't see that FF3 is faster than FF2 so unless I find some compelling reason to stick with FF3, I will have no choice but to go back to FF2 to regain my normal flexibility. This shouldn't have to be a hack solution. It should be a retention of the good behavior of FF2 in FF3. My next step will be a bug report or feature request, whatever seems best. If that gets ignored, I'm back to FF2 for the foreseeable future or some other browser that lets the user have more control.
SilverTonguedDevil

By the way, I tried the hacks. Neither made the height change although the width did change. I even went up to 800px for height but it doesn't change. Try it yourself and see what is wrong with your code.
Euchre

Post by Euchre »

As I understand it the dialog may have been changed to use a different dialog type with FF3 versus FF2. Remember that FF2 was Carbon, so it didn't necessarily use the same types of dialogs from within Mac OS X itself as FF3 does from it's Cocoa nature. If you are not familiar with how programs interact with an operating system to create what you see, basically the program tells the operating system what type of 'window' to use, what elements offered to use in it, and what information it should contain. If the dialog is different, then the resize handle may not be available. If it's of the same type and Firefox took away the handle, there may be a hack to put it back. Now for someone who knows the dom of Firefox better to chime in and explain which is the case - anyone?
Gecko
One Rendering Engine to rule them all.
jcwalton

Post by jcwalton »

There were some attempts at resizing it with similar CSS hacks at the bottom of this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=662373&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I also find the lack of a resize handle (and the fact that you can't move the dialog, either) really annoying. I'm working on an extension to fix it in my spare time. Hopefully I'll have something working by the end of this weekend, although this is my first Firefox extension, so no promises. :)
pum_purum

Post by pum_purum »

smsmith wrote:

#editBookmarkPanel {
  width: 50em !important;
  height: 45em !important;
}

Play with the numbers until it is sized the way you want. Some additional code may be required for the buttons at the bottom (Done, Cancel) as the are stretched horribly for me on Vista.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css

the same story under others Win OS

SilverTonguedDevil wrote:By the way, I tried the hacks. Neither made the height change although the width did change. I even went up to 800px for height but it doesn't change. Try it yourself and see what is wrong with your code.

Euchre made a small blunder :)

#editBookmarkPanelContent
{
min-width:600px !important;
} just remove this curl
min-height:450px !important;
}
However this code changes only the background of bookmarks, and it's not enough
Also need to find objects IDs of white area
I didn't find yet any info about IDs of all objects for ff3
Where they are? :)
FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS, TRANSFORM YOUR LIFE (Paulo Coelho)
DeletedAccount

Post by DeletedAccount »

I was pointed to a great add-on here ... https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/42

... that adds a resize handle and also allows all the folders to be seen (i.e. they stay expanded to however you left them).
Scarlettrunner20

Post by Scarlettrunner20 »

Yes, it is a great extension.
SilverTonguedDevil

Since I posted this question, I have moved up to FF 3.55. The extension "OpenBook" gives an error "not compatible with FF 3.5.5" even though the Add-ons page says it is compatible.
SilverTonguedDevil

pum_purum: The code you quoted is useless. I should say it does exactly what I told you I wanted BUT that isn't what I wanted. I want the scroll frame to increase ALSO along with the size of the window. The code simply pulls the window down to a greater height, thus increasing the wasted white space of the window. It leaves the scrollable frame the same size which meaqns it does nothing useful. Anyone know how to change the size of the scrollable frame to match the increased window size? {this is getting ridiculous. The geeks who develop FF need to simply add code for a resize handle along with an auto-resize for the frame.}
SilverTonguedDevil

About OpenBook extension: I have it installed on another computer and I have updated to FF 3.5.5 on that one as well, but OpenBook did not trigger any "incompatible" message at update. That makes me think it may be possible to revert to FF3 on this computer, install OpenBook in the profile, and then "update" to FF 3.5.5, thus sidestepping the can't install issue. I will try that and report back.
James

Post by James »

SilverTonguedDevil wrote:..{this is getting ridiculous. The geeks who develop FF need to simply add code for a resize handle along with an auto-resize for the frame.}

It may be a OS thing as you can resize just about any window in Firefox on Linux.