0.6 ETA

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
JHRainesJr

0.6 ETA

Post by JHRainesJr »

The roadmap says 0.6 sometime in January. I just wondered if there was any ETA at this time. This is not a request to speed it up, just enjoying my Pheonix experience so far and looking for an even smoother version. BTW I know about downloading nightlies & all that so please save those posts explaining it. I'm interested in the developer blessed milestone.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

There are currently 34 bugs that are targetted for 0.6 that have not been closed. I don't think it will be January. Right now, I probably wouldn't even say Feb.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
agamid

Post by agamid »

where do you see the list of bugs?
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
maubp

Post by maubp »

At rough count, 10 of those are enhancements, and 24 are bugs.

I don't know what the developers stance on this would be, but clearly 0.6 could be sooner if the enhancements where bumped to 0.7 (Of course, a bug fix only milestone is less fun to look forward to)

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix ... admap.html

The roadmap doesn't actually say what the aim for 0.6 is, is there a "Grand Plan" written down?

Still, I'm happy with what I have right now. :)
Peter
luke17

Post by luke17 »

These are only the bugs directly related with 0.6.
But one shouldn't forget, that there are (at the moment) still 297 open Bugs, without enhancements.

<a href=http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&product=Phoenix&long_desc_type=substring&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr&status_whiteboard=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_severity=blocker&bug_severity=critical&bug_severity=major&bug_severity=normal&bug_severity=minor&bug_severity=trivial&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=exact&email1=&emailassigned_to2=1&emailreporter2=1&emailqa_contact2=1&emailtype2=exact&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&changedin=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=>all open bugs</a>

cu
agamid

Post by agamid »

maubp wrote: (Of course, a bug fix only milestone is less fun to look forward to)

Actually, I look forward to bug fix milestones because they fix the annoying problems I have. I also look forward to enhancements because they let me do things that I would otherwised not be able to do, and hence be annoyed.
Jeff_pony

Post by Jeff_pony »

Sometime in march is the rumor floating round the forums atm , how depressing......
tve

Post by tve »

Jeff_pony wrote:Sometime in march is the rumor floating round the forums atm , how depressing......

isnt 0.5 good enough for you? :-p
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>
Allenz

Post by Allenz »

>isnt 0.5 good enough for you? :-p<

Almost, but not quite. I'm still having to run a batch file to kill formhistory.dat. I don't like autocomplete features that can't be turned off and this is a bit of a hassle. Other than that and the themes/extensions not working at the moment, Phoenix is one great browser.
Jeff_pony

Post by Jeff_pony »

Id agree the browsers cool, just need a few fixes tis all.......

And that damn form history is a bind aswell.....
asa

Re: 0.6 ETA

Post by asa »

JHRainesJr wrote:The roadmap says 0.6 sometime in January. I just wondered if there was any ETA at this time. This is not a request to speed it up, just enjoying my Pheonix experience so far and looking for an even smoother version. BTW I know about downloading nightlies & all that so please save those posts explaining it. I'm interested in the developer blessed milestone.

We're not likely to get to it in the remaining few days of January. I'm shooting for February sometime. While the Phoenix developers have been busy with other projects (and hopefully their real lives too) we've picked up a lot of really good fixes from the Mozilla trunk in the last 7 weeks and we have something that's definitely a lot better than 0.5. I'll be talking with the developers over the coming days and trying to figure out how much we need to do to make the next release happen.

Things definitely have been slow and even as we get it moving forward again, don't expect to see the pace of feature development return to what it was for the first few milestones. We're approaching feature complete and then it's going to be spit and polish leading up to a 1.0. After 1.0 maybe things will take off again into the frantic and massive changes pace that we had for 0.1-0.4 but we have always planned to slow it down on features after about 0.5.

--Asa
DJGM

Post by DJGM »

Well, that's good enough an explanation for me . . . thanks for that.
djst

Re: 0.6 ETA

Post by djst »

asa wrote:
JHRainesJr wrote:The roadmap says 0.6 sometime in January. I just wondered if there was any ETA at this time. This is not a request to speed it up, just enjoying my Pheonix experience so far and looking for an even smoother version. BTW I know about downloading nightlies & all that so please save those posts explaining it. I'm interested in the developer blessed milestone.

We're not likely to get to it in the remaining few days of January. I'm shooting for February sometime. While the Phoenix developers have been busy with other projects (and hopefully their real lives too) we've picked up a lot of really good fixes from the Mozilla trunk in the last 7 weeks and we have something that's definitely a lot better than 0.5. I'll be talking with the developers over the coming days and trying to figure out how much we need to do to make the next release happen.

Things definitely have been slow and even as we get it moving forward again, don't expect to see the pace of feature development return to what it was for the first few milestones. We're approaching feature complete and then it's going to be spit and polish leading up to a 1.0. After 1.0 maybe things will take off again into the frantic and massive changes pace that we had for 0.1-0.4 but we have always planned to slow it down on features after about 0.5.

--Asa

Here's a few bold questions for you: Have the new name been chosen? If not, are there a few names that you or the developers are seriously considering or is the question totally left unanswered even for you guys?
bellgamin

Post by bellgamin »

two legged freak wrote:isnt 0.5 good enough for you? :-p

Yeth!!!