Crash Recovery/Total Recall extension for Phoenix?

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
moshman

Crash Recovery/Total Recall extension for Phoenix?

Post by moshman »

Before I switched to Phoenix, I used the free IE-based tabbed browser CrazyBrowser. Over the past couple of weeks I've been using Phoenix more and more and I think I'd like to switch to it as my full-time browser. With the TabbrowserExtensions, the only feature that I miss is the ability to close Phoenix with a bunch of tabs open and have them all reload automatically the next time I start the browser. Does anyone know of a way to do this?

I've poked around a bit and it seems as though there are a couple of half-solutions on mozdev.org. Multizilla seems to allow you to 'Save tab(s) as Tab session on exit', but it won't work with Phoenix. The Aphrodite project has a subproject called "TotalRecall" that creates a menu of urls after a crash, and there is a stand-alone project called "Recall" that does the same thing supposedly, but doesn't require you to install Aphrodite. Neither seems to be quite what I'm after.

I see that the mozilla developers have been discussing the problem: http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=36810, but it seems to be, as of yet, unresolved.

Is this already possible with the latest TabbrowserExtensions? There is a cryptic statement on the homepage that suggests this about halfway down the page:

- Navigator loads tabs all of last visited, when you set the startup page to "last visited".

Anyone know if this is what I'm looking for, and if so how to enable it? I loaded the latest version(1.5.2002111201) of TabbrowserExtensions, but I don't see anywhere in Phoenix Prefs where I can enable this feature.

Is there any other way to get this to work?

TIA.
Stefan

Re: Crash Recovery/Total Recall extension for Phoenix?

Post by Stefan »

moshman wrote:
- Navigator loads tabs all of last visited, when you set the startup page to "last visited".

Anyone know if this is what I'm looking for

Sure sounds like it.
Havn't tried though.
shimage

Post by shimage »

moshman wrote:I don't see anywhere in Phoenix Prefs where I can enable this feature.

it's in the <a href="http://texturizer.net/phoenix/tips.html#oth_pref">mozilla prefs</a>. i tried it on phoenix 0.3, when i found out you could access the mozilla prefs, but it didn't work. i doubt they've got it working all of a sudden (since it's still not in the phoenix prefs), but you can try it.

it does indeed sound like it's supposed to do what you want it to, but i don't think it'll work with phoenix. iirc the tab extensions are only supported for mozilla, so some of the functionality isn't there.
moshman

Problem Solved!!! It works in Phoenix 0.4 too...

Post by moshman »

shimage wrote:it's in the mozilla prefs. i tried it on phoenix 0.3, when i found out you could access the mozilla prefs, but it didn't work. i doubt they've got it working all of a sudden (since it's still not in the phoenix prefs), but you can try it.

it does indeed sound like it's supposed to do what you want it to, but i don't think it'll work with phoenix. iirc the tab extensions are only supported for mozilla, so some of the functionality isn't there.

Thanks a bunch. I just went to the mozilla prefs and set the navigator to open up the last page visited, and now Phoenix 0.4 reopens the tabs that were open when it was last closed. Most excellent!!! Thanks a bunch. :D
shimage

Post by shimage »

ah... so it does work. cool.
tonymac

Post by tonymac »

Forgive me if this is a stupid question (I just downloaded Phoenix for the first time on Sunday), but is there any way to get this working without installing mozilla? Is there a text file that's getting edited?
tonymac

Post by tonymac »

I found the answer on Phoenix Help. If you load the old pref dialog from chrome://communicator/content/pref/pref.xul you can set it to Last Visited. It works, but the order of tabs changes each time.