Random Firefox 3 Crashes- Vista Data Execution Prevention

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
KieranG

Vista's Data Execution Prevention is killing Firefox 3

Post by KieranG »

[Old thread was locked: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=660262&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30 so I restarted it here, as this is clearly still a bug...]

DEP is killing FF3 every 5-10 minutes (sometimes even less than that) - I'm on a fresh FF3 (final release), fresh profile, with no extensions.

That's the basic issue. See thread above for others with the same problem...

If anyone wants any specific info, let me know... the crashes are completely random and happen on any site, even if I have no tabs open.
nxmehta

Random Firefox 3 Crashes- Vista Data Execution Prevention

Post by nxmehta »

I'm seeing a problem where Firefox is randomly crashing in Vista Business 32-bit. After a crash Vista will pop up a message saying that Data Execution Prevention (DEP) has shut down Firefox to protect the OS. The crashes occur randomly during browsing (I have not been able to make a reproducible test case) and they occur quite frequently (I've probably crashed around 10 times in the last 2 hours).

I have observed crashes in my main profile (with several extensions installed) on a clean reinstall of Firefox. Other users have reported crashes on clean profiles with no extensions installed. As I haven't been able to find a consistent way to crash the browser on my main profile I haven't yet tried using a clean profile.

Reports from other users are in another thread in the builds section that recently was locked (due to housecleaning): viewtopic.php?f=23&t=660262

I think that thread started out focusing on the Turner Media Player plugin as the culprit of the original poster's crashes, but I and many of the subsequent posters do not have this plugin installed.

If anyone can help with debugging suggestions (is there a way to get Firefox or Vista to spit out some more information on the nature of the crash?) that would be great. For other users that are seeing this problem, please check in here.

Re: Random Firefox 3 Crashes- Vista Data Execution Prevention

Post by Guest »

same exact thing happening to me... need some help. Cant believe this is the final release, its a POS.

Post by Guest »

Me too...
romana 3

Re: Vista's Data Execution Prevention is killing Firefox 3

Post by romana 3 »

I'm having the same trouble with Firefox but with me it only happens when downloading something such as a PDF file or a media file.
Mars the annoyed

Post by Mars the annoyed »

Anonymous wrote:Me too...
And Me! 16 times so far, not that I'm counting
disappointed_in_3.0

Post by disappointed_in_3.0 »

Same for me. In the error drop-down, I get the following:

Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: firefox.exe
Application Version: 1.9.0.3071
Application Timestamp: 483ebafb
Fault Module Name: StackHash_9115
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: 01ae27e8
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 9115
Additional Information 2: dd10053a4eca3851aadb33dd5395f537
Additional Information 3: f2c1
Additional Information 4: b6066bb27cddd22205ab897a7564783f

Is there any fix to this? Can't believe I'm going to have to go back to 2.0.0.14.....
everymanonearthusesfirefox

Post by everymanonearthusesfirefox »

Similar problem with Vista : no crash, but the browser stop working randomly for 10 to 20 seconds, blocking everything else (including OpenOffice), it's just a pain in the...
Can you fix it quick, please ? It's terribly annoying.
KieranG

Post by KieranG »

It's really annoying and I'm having to keep using Opera/FF2 when it gets really bad... It's probably also worth me mentioning this doesn't happen with FF2.
romana 3

Post by romana 3 »

KieranG wrote:It's really annoying and I'm having to keep using Opera/FF2 when it gets really bad... It's probably also worth me mentioning this doesn't happen with FF2.
I had FF2 so I know it doesn't happen with that. I'm using Vista SP 1 Home Premium with an HP Media Center PC m8070a with the a standing for Australia. What do you use? Maybe this will be fixed in FF 3.1.
woody121

Post by woody121 »

i am getting the crashes often (20+ times a day) and i am about to switch back to IE until this gets resolved (!!!) ... any known solutions?
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

This is a tuff issue, as its hard to fix unless a way is found to reliably cause the crash.
Adding to the list with "Me too's" is of little help.

Anyone having this problem could you please add more info -
CPU type/specs
Memory - amount/specs
Video card - maker/specs
Mobo maker
OS - (I've seen reports I think from XP and Vista) need to be sure, appears all here in this thread are using Vista

I use Vista, and have been testing 3.0 for many months, and not run into this crash.
AMD 1.6 ghz Thunderbird
1 gig RAM (old slow PC133 SDRam)
Nvidia 7600GT 512meg vid card - 2 months old, prior was using ATI 9500Pro 128meg (went up in smoke)
Vista HP SP1 32bit
nxmehta

Post by nxmehta »

Ok, here's my info:

Dell Latitude D630
Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2GHz
4 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M
Vista Business 32-bit SP1

Still trying to reproducibly crash, but no luck, despite constant crashes.
phpmaven

Post by phpmaven »

If you have the Google Toolbar installed, that could very well be the culprit. I was having the same problem on Vista Ultimate. Try uninstalling and then delete the "Mozilla Firefox" folder in "Program Files" and reinstall. Just disabling the toolbar is not enough.
FF Problems

Post by FF Problems »

Guest wrote:same exact thing happening to me... need some help. Cant believe this is the final release, its a POS.

FF v3 started crashing every time I started it last night. Rebooted, same problem. Using Vista Home.

I honestly can't believe this was put out before more bugs were fixed. It's not like this is Microsoft. Maybe that's the end goal. POS for sure.