Rebuilding TBE's featureset with other plugins

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

The whole point behind this idea is that extensions would only have to be modified to work with tablib and not so much each other. At the moment, we have at least 4 extensions reaching over each other to get at the same control mechanisim, and with all the bugs flying around, it isn't really working.

Fair enough if we can't access everything we need through an extension. The idea was that we could use tablib as evidence that something needs updating in the browser's tab mechanisim, and hopefully someone would impliment something like it in the core and we could all forget about it, but if it's not really possible, that's fine.
IGAU

Post by IGAU »

TychoQuad wrote:
IGAU wrote:
All I wanted was to be able to rearrange tabs by dragging.

Why this is not a standalone extension is still beyond me.

You mean like miniT?

Nope, I mean standalone. A single extension for that single purpose. So many people look for that single feature, I'm surprised that it hasn't been released on it's own yet. Although, having said that, miniT does a good job :)
dorando

Post by dorando »

TychoQuad wrote:At the moment, we have at least 4 extensions reaching over each other to get at the same control mechanisim[...]

Which extensions do you mean?
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

Alright, I was under the impression that the extensions I listed last page were all fighting for the same tab mechanisim built into the browser. If not, sorry I've misunderstood the situation.
TychoQuad

Re: redux

Post by TychoQuad »

rue wrote:Tycho:
This one should be near-universal. Paste into the javascript-console to make "New tabs open right of Current". If your browser's not compatible, you'll be told:[CODE] [updated for miniT]

Any way I can install this as an extension, so i don't have to add it every time I start a browser window?
dorando

Post by dorando »

IGAU wrote:A single extension for that single purpose.

Oh well..., here ya go. Includes tablib which only gets loaded if there is no getBrowser().moveTabTo. Note: doesn't work in builds after 2004-01-23.

TychoQuad wrote:Any way I can install this as an extension, so i don't have to add it every time I start a browser window?

If you use miniT open chrome/minit.jar/content/minit.xul (in your profile; .jar is like .zip) and replace

Code: Select all

t.ordinal = position;
with

Code: Select all

t.ordinal = position = this.mCurrentTab.ordinal-0+1;
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

Can you recomend a program which can handle .jars? The one I'm using (ZipGenius) is just refusing to save my changes.
dorando

Post by dorando »

Just rename it to .zip (and back to .jar afterwards). You might need to extract the file, modify it, and readd it depending on how your program works.
Support mozilla.dorando.at through donations/contributions.
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

AARRRGGGHHH!!!!

Why didn't anyone tell me this beforehand?!?! I can't believe I have been able to use XP's .zip handler on these files ALL THIS TIME!!!

/me runs from the room screaming.

/me returns calmly.

Thanks dorando, It's good to know I've reduced a good feature down to 15 or so extra characters rather than a whole new extension. This is what this threads all about!!! :)
rue

Post by rue »

Tycho:
I can roll "New tabs open right of Current" into a standalone; but personally, I find it undesirable when extensions only do one thing -- you end up with 50 of them.
The posted code was only intended to be something miniT could implement.
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

rue: it seems it has... but the change was only about 15 characters long... dunno what's up with that :P I agree, but i think we need to find a balance between single purpose, and TBE Personally, I don't want miniT to get much bigger...
emerald

One More Thing Needed

Post by emerald »

What I would need in a replacement extension for TBE is the ability to load JavaScript links into a new tab.
Paradox52525

Post by Paradox52525 »

Rather than making a standalone extension for tabs open to the right of current, why not write it up as a javascript function that we can pass either an index (a number saying where to open the tab in the tab order) or maybe "left"/"right" to tell a tab to open to the left/right of current. That way at least extensions authors could integrate tab opening at specific locations into their extensions without having to go through the hell I did trying to get this to work (which ultimately never did anyway in my case). I was thinking either an OpenTabAt, or MoveTabTo type thing, if you can do that (haven't even looked at your current code recently, sorry. Busy with other stuff). Also, what is the current status with this conflicting with things like TBE and MiniT?
rue

Post by rue »

Paradox:
<a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=47192&start=15#344528">Here's</a> the code. It modifies a function that TBE and miniT modify also: tabbrowser.addTab()
MiniT and the console-code both export the function to string, using .replace to append their code. Each modification needs to be aware of what changes the other brings -- otherwise, there's a conflict. Since this thread is "Replacing TBE..", you can guess how compatible I've been toward it ;P
Scroll up to see Dorando's one-line-hack to make miniT do this by default. From there, you should be able to further modify to your liking.
noborders

Post by noborders »

gdeka wrote:The only thing i really use TBE for is the X on each tab, can this be done someother way, other than that TBP fills my needs

I'm in the same exact situation as gdeka. I NEED the "close tab" button on each tab. And I would love for this functionality to be possible without TBE, but I'm not aware of it (which seems insane), so it's the only reason I'm keeping around an older version of TBE. For this reason, I won't be upgrading to Firebird 0.8 for the time being since the version of TBE I have is not compatible with it, and the new versions of TBE, even with patches, break all new versions of Firebird on OS X.

The only other feature of TBE I find useful is the "single window" mode that allows all external links (including target="blank") to open in a new tab, although it seems like this feature can be found elsewhere. But the latest version of Tabbrowser Preferences seems to break my browser.

Is there another solution for having a "close tab" button without TBE? If so, I will ditch TBE and all of its bloatedness that I don't use.