MozillaZine

Firefox 3 makes my hard drive thrash

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
spacetrekker

Post Posted June 20th, 2008, 7:12 am

hello this is Shawn i love Firefox 3 very much but it makes my hard drive thrash quite a bit :(
to be helpful i will list my extensions and plug-ins
Add-Ons
DownThemAll
IE Tab
McAfee SiteAdvisor
I Use Only The Default Theme
Plugins
Adobe Acrobat
IE Tab Plugin
Java TM Platform SE 6 U6
Microsoft Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin np-mswmp
Mozilla Default Plugin
Quicktime Plugin 7.4.5
RealJukebox NS Plugin
Realplayer Version Plugin 6.0.12.46
Realplayer G2 LiveConnect-Enabled Plugin 32 Bit
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r124
Shockwave For Director version 11.0
Silverlight Plugin 1.0.30401.0
Windows Presentation Foundation plugin for Mozilla Browsers

that is all my extensions and plugins
also to be helpful i use firetune for firefox with settings fast computer fast connection and on the other optimizations tab i have checked enable some performance tweaks common to all configurations and on the other useful settings tab i have checked optimize firefox memory usage
i have tried turning that setting off to see if that would make a difference but that does no good
i could restore my original settings from a back-up i made with firetune but that might also do no good
i have 2.5 gigabytes of ram and i have firefox optimized through firetune to use 65 megabytes of ram could that be the reason my hard drive thrashes or is it a bug in firefox

avoidz

Post Posted June 20th, 2008, 7:16 am

Try going to Tools-Options...-Security and unchecking the boxes for these two options:

- Tell me if the site I'm visiting is a suspected attack site
- Tell me if the site I'm visiting is a suspected forgery

See if that helps; it did for me :)
LAPTOP: XPS17 Intel i7-2630QM, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 555M, Windows 7 64bit

Euchre

Post Posted June 20th, 2008, 8:43 am

You may also want to adjust 'frecency' calculation intervals and amounts in about:config.
First extend the interval by typing in places.frecency.updateIdleTime in the search field a the top of the about:config dialog, then right click the preference in the list (should be the only one showing when fully typed) and choose Modify. The amount is in milliseconds, and the default is 60000 which is one minute. Add a zero to the end to make it 10 minutes, or add a zero and change the 6 to 18 to make it 30 minutes, etc.
Next reduce the amount of items calculated by typing places.frecency.numCalcOnIdle in the same search field. Right click the preference and choose Modify and change the value from 50 to something lower like 15 or 5.
Gecko
One Rendering Engine to rule them all.

cherrick

Post Posted September 27th, 2009, 11:38 am

Current thrashing by Firefox (3) is likely related to type-ahead in the URL bar. As you type into the URL field, FireFox attempts to look up previous URL entries and presents you with a list from which you can select to avoid typing. If the lists of your cookies and history are deep, FireFox has to process a large, long list. This is the work the browser is doing while thrashing.

Here's the solution:
(1) empty your history
(2) empty your cookies
(3) in Tools > Options > Privacy at the bottom of the pane, set "when using the location bar, suggest" to _NOTHING_.

Problem solved.

Now this means you will have to type entire URLs but at least you don't have to kill FireFox from the Task Manager.

LIMPET235

Post Posted September 27th, 2009, 11:42 am

cherrick...
Please check the date before posting to these old threads, thanks.
Locking this relic.
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/IntelĀ® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-62.0-70.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.
W.M.Y.C.
(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

Return to Firefox Support