Firefox 3 loading extremely slow w/o any extensions

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dutchputch

Firefox 3 loading extremely slow w/o any extensions

Post by dutchputch »

I just downloaded Firefox 3 yesterday and it's loading websites sooooo slow. I made a new profile, no extensions and still slow. I have nine tabs and when I hit reload all tabs it takes forever. I still have Firefox 2 on my laptop and have the same tabs. My laptop reloads in a second. FF3, I went and got a cup of coffee and came back and they were STILL reloading. I also changed things in about:config to speed things up and it didn't help at all. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong? Thanks in advance for any help.
SK.

Re: Firefox 3 loading extremely slow w/o any extensions

Post by SK. »

Which URLs? Did you update your firewall rules after installing Firefox 3? Are you aware that tweaking settings in about:config to speed things up usually ends up doing just the opposite? What exactly did you try? Which operating system are you running?
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
dutchputch

Post by dutchputch »

My os is windows xp. I have Trendmicro and the firewalls are enabled for firefox. I thought maybe my tweaking was the culprit so I fully uninstalled Firefox 3 and reinstalled it and still the tabs are reloading very slow compared to Firefox 2. The url's are yahoo mail, yahoo finance, ebay, sitemeter, bloglines, zap2it tv guide. Those tabs all reload fast on my laptop which still has Firefox 2 so I don't think it's the url's. I haven't loaded any of the extensions yet either on firefox 3 so I can't figure out what the problem is. Most web pages are loading slow too. Firefox 2 was so much faster. I hope someone can help me! Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
SK.

Post by SK. »

Your tweaking exists in your profile which is not touched by an uninstall/reinstall. I would like you to try a brand new profile. Don't modify it until we can confirm that Firefox is working as it should. You can always go back to your original profile if we don't find the source of the problem.

See this knowledge base article for information on creating a new profile.

It wouldn't be the first time an application upgrade dragged a data file problem into the mix.
dutchputch

Post by dutchputch »

I made a new profile and it made no difference. It's still slow :(
SK.

Post by SK. »

On both your laptop and desktop, what processor and RAM do you have? How much free disk space? How recently have you defragmented your hard drive? Which operating systems?
dutchputch

Post by dutchputch »

My desktop (windows xp) uses an AMD Sempron Processor. c: drive has 149 GB capacity with 141 GB of free space. I reformatted my computer last week and haven't defragged.

My laptop (windows xp) uses an Intel processor. c: drive has 32.4 GB capacity with 13.2 GB of free space. I defragged a few nights ago.
SK.

Post by SK. »

RAM?
dutchputch

Post by dutchputch »

Desktop has 1.43 GB
Laptop has 504 MB
dutchputch

Post by dutchputch »

I just grabbed the kitchen timer and timed how long it took to reload 8 tabs - 2 minutes and 23 seconds. I don't have the patience for this. I'd like to switch back to Firefox 2 where it took a second. Where do I get Firefox 2? I can't find it anywhere.
baibbas

Post by baibbas »

You shouldn't have to "Tweak" stuff to make FF 3.0 work...I installed it over FF 2.0 and when I load it up, it stalls for about 15 seconds after it starts up to the homepage (Google), and then unfreezes so I can work on it...this is ridiculous.
ufoninja

Post by ufoninja »

i have the same problem. firefox 3 is so slow compared to 2. looking up pages such as hotmail can take as long as 30 seconds. in firefox 2 i would be instant. little help?
SK.

Post by SK. »

dutchputch: I don't know what to tell you. I am not having a speed problem and though there are those reporting a speed problem with Firefox, we can't seem to pin down a cause. Have you tried clearing your cache?

baibbaa: None of the suggestions so far in this thread constitute "tweaking," rather investigating why a user is having what has so far proved to be an uncommon problem. Did you try any of the suggestions above? Can you answer my earlier questions?

ufoninja: Without answers to my questions, it is impossible to help you.
dutchputch

Post by dutchputch »

If anyone wants to go back to Firefox 2.0.0.14 you can find it at brothersoft.com. I reverted back and now I'm back to normal.
kweivel

Post by kweivel »

My Firefox3 is loading real slow too and it didn't with 2.Websites are very slow to load.Its like I have a dial up connection again.My isp is 15 down and 15 up(fiberoptic)Sites like utube,abc and anything with video is slow.