Firefox window resizing to full screen at launch

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Y

Firefox window resizing to full screen at launch

Post by Y »

Hi,

I'm on a mac OS X (10.5)
I installed Firefox 3 yesterday and since then, firefox is going full screen every time i relaunch or open a new window. Previously (with FF2) it would take the size that is was resizing manually as a reference for the new windows, and also for the green "+" button. Now, i only get full screen, and it sucks cause i would like it to leave some space on the right.
Can somebody help me? That would be really nice.
Thanks
Egidio

Re: Firefox window resizing to full screen at launch

Post by Egidio »

When you resize the window to your preferred size and then close it, what happens next time you open FF?

Egídio
Mac OS X [10.6.4]
Y

Post by Y »

It goes back to full screen.
mickimaus

Post by mickimaus »

click Bookmarks > click organize bookmarks > click Bookmarks Toolbar Folder > click Organize > click New Bookmark

paste
javascript:window.resizeTo(1024,768);window.moveTo(6,3);
in Location cell/box

enter a name in the Name box
click [ Add ]

Later, adjust to your screen/preference, by changing the values of RE, BE, LE, TE, in the script;
javascript:window.resizeTo(RE,BE);window.moveTo(LE,TE);
( RE = right edge of display, BE = bottom edge
LE = left, TE = top edge of display )

this may be valid for Windows systems only :shock:

Post by Guest »

this creates a button in the Bookmarks Toolbar, which you can click to resize the display

Post by Guest »

hey Y, what size screen do you have ? or screen Resolution ??
Y

Post by Y »

i have a macbook 13' with a 1280x800px resolution

Post by Guest »

possibly all your previous settings are being wiped out by Clear Private Data
check your CPD settings
Y

Post by Y »

The bookmark thing doesn't work. Thanks tho. But I think it's an issue that should be fixed with a real solution. Or am I the only mac user with that problem? Strange...
Phos....

Post by Phos.... »

Floating this, because I'm not enjoying the behavior, either.

Mac OS X 10.4.11; generally no other problems with this new install of FF v 3.0 (never ran any beta versions of any Firefox version). My systems are always well-maintained, and trouble free.

At launch, or when creating a new browser window Firefox 3 opens to fill my entire monitor. It no longer respects the size to which I have changed the browser window before quitting, as all previous versions and every other browser always has for me.

I've been digging around in about:config and don't understand where this behavior is managed, if there is a switch for the behavior at all.

The javascript bookmarklet—if it works, I haven't tried it—is a bad solution to something that shouldn't be a problem in the first place.
Y

Post by Y »

At least if I'm not alone then i can hope to see a fix in the coming future :)
Phos....

Post by Phos.... »

Still looking for a solution for setting FF3 to NOT open browser windows to full-screen maximum.

I just checked this possible solution as it relates to Camino. User suggests ditching the preferences .plist file. Sounded reasonable enough that this should work with Firefox, too.

I quit FF3, then dragged FF3's .plist file to an otherwise empty trashcan. Relaunched FF3, resized browser window to my preferred size, then quit FF3. Relaunched FF3. Browser windows still open to max screen size.

The curious thing to me is that when I looked in ../Library/Preferences/... I didn't see a newly created .plist file for FF3. Is FF3's .plist file being stored somewhere else now? I don't think so, because I returned the .plist file that I moved to the trash back to its rightful place, and the Modification date/time stamp displayed today's date and the time I was messing with it, just a few minutes earlier.

:-k This is a sticky wicket! :-k
Last edited by Phos.... on June 21st, 2008, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
2UD1YSNK

Post by 2UD1YSNK »

I searched the web for this and found going into Firefox Safe Mode by choosing "option" when launching firefox and the choosing "Reset Toolbars and Controls" it fixed the resizing problem for me but also reset the toolbar which is a drag... I can't remember how I had the toolbar setup - doh!
Y

Post by Y »

Spark> Where is that plist file? What's the name? I just can't find it (3 libraries in my osx and too many files)
Y

Post by Y »

2UD1YSNK wrote:I searched the web for this and found going into Firefox Safe Mode by choosing "option" when launching firefox and the choosing "Reset Toolbars and Controls" it fixed the resizing problem for me but also reset the toolbar which is a drag... I can't remember how I had the toolbar setup - doh!

Okay that works. Thanks a lot.

For other people, here is how it works (this is for mac os x only):

> Quit Firefox.
> Press option (alt) when launching FF3
> Choose "Reset Toolbars and controls" (caution don't click the others or you coud loose stuffs).
> Fix the size of window you want
> Relaunch Firefox, it opens the size you decided!