3.1 Feature Suggestion - Bookmark Properties

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Portfolioso

3.1 Feature Suggestion - Bookmark Properties

Post by Portfolioso »

It seems that while places has been completely revamped, no one touched the properties dialog for a bookmark, and it could use a little work.

To get here, Go to the bookmarks menu, right click a bookmark, then click properties. The following dialog comes up.
Notice how there is nowhere to add tags? This is separate and not streamlined with Firefox 3. It seems to be leftover from 2's bookmarking system.

Also, if you go to Bookmarks-->Organize Bookmarks, you cannot bring up the properties dialog. This is inconsistent, however, it is okay because all of the properties can be modified (including tags) by clicking on a bookmark and then clicking the more button (it expands to edit name, location, tags, keyword and description.

Perhaps right clicking properties on a bookmark (in the bookmarks menu, not the places organizer) should open up places organizer with the bookmark selected and the more dialog expanding the properties

What are your ideas before I submit this as a suggestion on bugzilla?
pal-moz

Re: 3.1 Feature Suggestion - Bookmark Properties

Post by pal-moz »

Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Until that bug is fixed, here is an extension that should do what you want.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7396
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
Portfolioso

Post by Portfolioso »

Excellent. As long as this is known and being worked on.

I really like that extension. Will all of that make it into 3.1? Because the properties dialog should be completely eliminated.

Also, when you click the star, not enough fields show up. Clicking the star, and clicking properties should be consistent, and by default, look like this:
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

You can change the default fields in the places bookmark dialog with userChrome CSS. For example, I'm using:

Code: Select all

#editBMPanel_locationRow,
#editBMPanel_keywordRow
{
   visibility:   visible !important;
   -moz-box-align:   center !important;
}

This removes the gap between the Tags line and the Keywords Line

#editBMPanel_tagsSelector[collapsed="true"]
{
   display:   none !important;
}

Other selectors you can use:
#editBMPanel_nameRow
#editBMPanel_locationRow
#editBMPanel_feedLocationRow
#editBMPanel_siteLocationRow
#editBMPanel_folderRow
#editBMPanel_FolderTree
#editBMPanel_newFolderBox
#editBMPanel_tagsRow
#editBMPanel_tagsSelector
#editBMPanel_keywordRow
#editBMPanel_descriptionRow
#editBMPanel_loadInSidebarCheckbox
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

You can also go to Bookmarks -> Organize Bookmarks, click the more button at the bottom left to get all of the options
robertmarley

Post by robertmarley »

Bluefang wrote:[snippet, a lot of nice information was here]

Wow thank you SO much dude \:D/
I have asked so many places in order to be able to have the CTRL+D AKA add bookmark dialog options I like. No one has been able to give me the answer, until you!!!

I have just found out about the name of the "Description:" and the "Tags:" option code by simple guessing, as I already from another userstyle had this code:

#editBMPanel_keywordRow {
  visibility: visible !important;
  -moz-box-align: center !important;

Turned out that I could just replace "keyword" with "description" or "tags".

But what I could not guess was this one:
#editBMPanel_loadInSidebarCheckbox

Again: Thank you so much for this information!!!!
Would have wish that I have had this information for at least a month ago when my need for it started.
Also I wouldn't have had to wait a month till I figured out the "Description:" and the "Tags:" option code by myself. As just mentioned I have just figured that out today, as I was looking in the source code of this add-on, I realised that it didn't use any code even close to the one in my "add keyword" userstyle, so I had to do a little more thinking. It was when looking at this line from its source code that I got the idea:

this._element("editBookmarkPanelDescription").textContent = "";

"editBookmarkPanel" looked similar to "editBMPanel", and thats how I guessed it.
But guess that I was only able to guess the name of the "Tags:" one because the Firefox developers had given the objects such a saying name in the code.
Well, this is my 'Add Bookmark Dialog' userstyle code I use now:

/* when adding a bookmark, Show:
/*/

#editBMPanel_locationRow,
#editBMPanel_keywordRow {
}
#editBMPanel_tagsSelector[collapsed="true"] {
  display: none !important;
}

/* Plus Description, Minus Tags + "Load this bookmark in the sidebar"/*/
#editBMPanel_descriptionRow,
#editBMPanel_loadInSidebarCheckbox {
}

#editBMPanel_tagsRow {
  display: none !important;
}

(I never use tags)

P.S. I found this thread by searching on Google for "#editBMPanel_descriptionRow"
Thank you, thank you, thank you :mrgreen: !!!

Edit1:
supernova_00 wrote:You can also go to Bookmarks -> Organize Bookmarks [AKA Library], click the "More" button at the bottom left to get all of the options

LOL now I doesn't even have to do that anymore :P. The 5 options I want is with the above posted code now already showed - also in the Library... NEAT. The 5 options I have showed without cliking on "More" in Library is:
"Name:", "Location:", "Keyword", "Description" and "Load this bookmark in the sidebar"... = That is just perfect for me :mrgreen: !! Yihaa :P

(I do though imagine the need for others to be able to press the "More" bottom and then having the "Tags:" showed also. Now it doesn't do that. Clicking "More" doesn't show more. Could someone figure out (and post it to me) the code to add to my above one, so "Tags:" is showed in the Library when clicking on the "More" button?)

Edit2:
Maybe also someone could figure out the code in the Library, to put the "More" button and the "Load this bookmark in the sidebar" on the same line? Instead of present where "Load this bookmark in the sidebar" is showed above the "More" button. I would like on the same line, to have the "More button" to the left and the "Load this bookmark in the sidebar" to the right of it.
robertmarley

Post by robertmarley »

Aha \:D/ 8-) !
I have just as I speak, found out myself how easy it is to find this information, when you know how :shock:: screenshot
That DOM Inspector add-on sure is smart when you know how to use it...
... took me some minutes/searching/thinking before I figured out how to use the "Inspect Chrome Document" feature. As a novice I expected, that it was on by default and I got confused that I could only click on web page elements, but not on Firefox chrome :?

Here's How to use DOM Inspector to inspect Firefox chrome:
(When you have installed the add-on, then:)
1. Open DOM Inspector (DOMi) by hitting CTRL+SHIFT+I
2. Go to: 'File' => 'Inspect Chrome Document' => choose the one corresponding to your current tab/chrome/Firefox header name, for instance: "Post a reply • mozillaZine Forums - Mozilla Firefox".
3. Now by first clicking on the icon to the left of the binocular in DOMi, you can click on any element in the Firefox chrome and it will indicate what you have clicked on by showing a red square box/border around it.
Example 1:
If you for instance wanna find the id name of the navigation bar, then you could:
1. click on the locationbar (which is located at the navigationbar), now you in DOMi will be located at a string who's id is called "urlbar-container" (See this screenshot).
2. Then just move up until you are on a string who make DOMi show a red square box/border around the navigationbar (see this screenshot).
Example 2:
Finding the id of the different options in CTRL+D/'add bookmark dialog' (mentioned previously in this post), just do the same, but this time in order to not choose a element on the web page, you first have to minimize DOMi, then you can press CTRL+D and then you can click on a option in the 'add bookmark dialog'.

Sidenote: Because of this Youtube video I now understand the difference between DOMi, Firebug and Webdeveloper