Whitehart Development [Discontinued]

Discuss application theming and theme development.
Fischfix

Re: Whitehart Development [FFX+TB]

Post by Fischfix »

hi i want to thank you for that theme but i have the following problem under Mozilla (2.0 and now 3.0) under Windows XP pro:

there are no scrollbars! i have this problem only with this theme so maybe there is something wrong. again there are no scrollbars, not in dorpdowns and also not on websites.
DOS2

Post by DOS2 »

I'm very excited to hear that you'll continue the development of this theme!
I actually use a slightly modified homemade version (pale violet folders and pale coloured rollovers etc) and I'm dearly missing it in FF3.
So I wish you a speedy recovery!
Thanks again for your continued efforts
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Well, I was checking the theme and what was needed to make it 3.x compatible and realized that I don't have the amount of time needed to redo most of it. Because of the changes to Mozilla theming in version 3 and the level of customization required for it, I have to redo/change a lot of parts of the code. So I will have to put the update on hold until I find some time.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Well, it was impossible for me to use another theme or even the default one after using Whitehart for so long. It's really true when people say this theme doesn't detract the attention from the content. With the default theme I was always having my sight being distracted by the interface. So I decided to invest a full day on fixing and updating it for Firefox 3.0. Here you can check a pre-release version that needs a little more work:

http://dongato.dyndns.org/whitehart/whitehart-2.9.0-fx.jar

I will start with the 3.x numbering after having a final revision but before, I need people to check if everything is working ok; if an icon should be changed, added or fixed; if there is some weird spacing; if there is an effect that shouldn't be there. I don't ask for money but I would like a little help with this at least. ;)

The things that I know are missing or have to be corrected are:

1. Selected tab has a top border but I couldn't find the way to get the old style yet. Old code doesn't work and I need to investigate some more to find the way (unless flyson comes to the rescue again :P ). It's not critical but it's a distinctive feature IMO.

2. Slimmed down Addons is not working. The 16x16 icon gets stretched and I need to find why is that happening.

3. The theme preferences are gone for now. The code is not allowed in Firefox 3 and I couldn't find why.

4. The no-color option is then not available and I don't think I will work on it again even if I find the way to add the preferences again.

So, now... YOU have to work! :D
Last edited by DonGato on June 21st, 2008, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rorschack

Post by rorschack »

DonGato, thank you so much for updating the Firefox 3 Whitehart theme! I use it for Thunderbird too. It's so clean and easy on the eyes. I just could not stand the default Firefox 3 as it's so fugly as many people had complained. I don't know what the Firefox design team was thinking.

I will post here if I see something that does look right for the Whitehart theme.

BTW, after I saw that you went through the trouble of updating your theme, I just had to register with this forum so I could show my appreciation!

Thanks again!

~perri
Slochy

Post by Slochy »

Thanks a lot for the pre-release version, looking very good so far!

- Busy icon when reloading tabs is missing while using Tab Mix Plus. Would that be fixable on your end? I noticed this on other themes, too, while there are also ones which don't have this problem.

- Personal request: I loved your light grey style more than the darker one. Which lines of code do I have to edit in order to get the lighter grey back? :)

Thanks again so far, I'll keep my eyes opened!

Tom
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

1. Yes, I'm working now for more than an hour on finding why the busy icon is not showing. I thought it was my mistake but it seems it's an issue with TMP. Someone should report it. The strange thing is that I don't know what he is doing because I'm not able to track it. Will have to debug his code.

2. Lighter grey? What do you mean? The tab bar with a lighter color than now? :P

In browser.css you need to find this piece of code:
/* Tabstrip */
.tabbrowser-strip {
padding-bottom: 2px;
background-color: #BBB;
border-top: 1px solid #666;
border-bottom: 1px solid #666;
}

.tabbrowser-tabs {
padding-top: 0px;
}

.tabbrowser-tab {
margin: 0px;
border-style: none;
padding: 3px 3px 3px 3px;
}

I've re-uploaded the version with some fixes (addons now works as before). Now I'm using a darker color but you might be talking about the #DDD profile I had before.

EDIT: fixed it... he has harcoded and forced the usage of the old icon (name and placement)...
Slochy

Post by Slochy »

DonGato wrote:
2. Lighter grey? What do you mean? The tab bar with a lighter color than now? :P

Oh, sorry, yeah, I was talking about the tab bar. It was "#CCC" before, I've changed it into "#DDD" now and everything's back to what I loved in your FF2 version. Thank you very much! :)

EDIT: fixed it... he has harcoded and forced the usage of the old icon (name and placement)...

Yay! That was fast, thanks for your efforts, Don! =D>

Here's another one, I just noticed some misalignments on right clicks. Happening everywhere, one example:

edit: Your dotted lines separating the tabs also went missing during your latest transition. I'm pretty sure you've noticed that yourself already, though ;)
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Don't know what customization you have but those are not the colors and not either the style of this theme. :/

See how I see my popups...
al_9x

Post by al_9x »

DonGato wrote:So, now... YOU have to work! :D

I have a few regressions and a wish list

Regressions:
  1. no bottom border on the bookmarks bar with no tabs shown
  2. active tab does have a top border when it shouldn't
  3. inactive tabs missing dashed left and right borders
  4. no border between rows of tabs with latest devbuild of tabmixplus set to multirow
Wish list (if you can find the time):
  1. options: very fond of "no color" (I would vote for this to be the default, but this is why options are so nice) and "addons classic style" for an expanded list (which is FF3 default)
  2. is it possible for a theme to force the go button to be always visible? They hide it, and a refresh is not the same because "go" doesn't post
Thanks
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

1. Fixed.
2. It's already known (look at viewtopic.php?p=3534145#p3534145).
3. Fixed.
4. Well, it was done by the tabs before (related to point 2). Don't know if I will restore this style as it's always a cause of trouble. I will see if I will add any kind of separation in the multi-row TMP feature.

1. The no color profile is gone for now and I don't think I will invest more time on it. It was already discontinued when I took over this theme and will never be a default. In the other hand what it does the bundled theme is of no care for this theme that tries to be compact while stylish so it makes sense that extensions are shown that way.
2. Don't know, but the Go button is evil anyway and we should get rid of.
al_9x

Post by al_9x »

DonGato wrote:tries to be compact while stylish so it makes sense that extensions are shown that way.

I find that the larger icon and the description makes an extension you are looking for easier to locate in the list. If you could bring the options back, that would be great.

As for the go button, I've found a couple css hacks to keep it visisible
  1. #urlbar[pageproxystate="valid"] > #urlbar-icons > #go-button { visibility: visible !important; }
  2. #go-button { visibility: visible !important; }

I am guessing it's possible to hide it as well.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Updated the package again with the pending fixes and changes. Please redownload it.

I consider this finished if no one provides more feedback and I will post it to AMO in the next days. I won't work anymore on the tabs (meaning no clear border in the selected tab as before).

http://dongato.dyndns.org/whitehart/whitehart-2.9.0-fx.jar
Slochy

Post by Slochy »

DonGato wrote:Don't know what customization you have but those are not the colors and not either the style of this theme. :/

See how I see my popups...

Hmm, that's weird. The vertical line in my pic could have been introduced by the Windows theme I'm using. But it's only Whitehart which is pushing the text to the left thus crossing that vertical line and making it look misaligned.

Here's how it looks using the default FF3 and other user made themes I've just tested:

Once again, here's how it looks with your theme:

Other than, that I'm absolutely happy with your latest update!
al_9x

Post by al_9x »

DonGato wrote:meaning no clear border in the selected tab as before

I understand your time constraints but maybe you can address it in the future? As it does not look quite right. A couple more issues:

1. it seems you added options to the about dialog, thank you, however clicking ok doesn't close it, and closing from the title bar doesn't set the selected options
  2. the tab bar now has a solid bottom border like before but the inactive tabs also have a dashed bottom border. This double border does not seem to me to be a change for the better.