Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

You can move the popup.

Code: Select all

#editBookmarkPanel{
margin-top:200px !important;
margin-right:-300px !important;
}

These numerical value is distance from the star to top-right corner of the popup.
Bozz

Post by Bozz »

Alice0775 wrote:You can move the popup.

#editBookmarkPanel{
}

These numerical value is distance from the star to top-right corner of the popup.

Thank you Alice. Getting close. I place my urlbar top-left on the menubar with a width of 255px and using 800x600 resolution.

#editBookmarkPanel{
margin-top: 35px !important;
margin-right: 265px !important;
}

That puts the popup closer to the page center nicely but when clicking Bookmark This Link, margin-top works but margin-right doesn't move the popup the same as Bookmark This Page. It shows on the left side of the page.

Also, do you know which chrome folder #editBookmarkPanel is in?
rickst29

Post by rickst29 »

It's EXTREMELY confusing, because of bug 428296: I think that one clicking method creates an "editBookmarkPanel", but clicking 'Bookmark this Page' creates an "editBookmarkPanelContent" vbox child of "editBookmarkOverlay". They default to looking exactly the same, but your problem might be that you need to set margins on this one too. The one which you didn't zap already is defined within file
"browser/components/places/content/editBookmarkOverlay.xul".

Now, as an OT aside: My monitor is 1920x1200, so I make the pop-up MUCH wider all the time, and much taller to navigate my bookmark folders more easily when I click to invoke that "child" pop-up. This has the effect of moving the panel towards the middle-- the left edge starts several hundred pixels earlier than the default pop-up does. You certainly won't want numbers as big as mine if you do this, but maybe give it a try and see if you like the result?

/*
* FF3.0, FORCE BIGGER DISPLAY OF FOLDER TREE WITHIN 'BOOKMARK THIS PAGE' POP-UP
*/
#editBMPanel_folderTree
{
min-width:600px !important;
min-height:500px !important;
}

/*
* FF3.0, FORCE WIDER DISPLAY OF 'BOOKMARK THIS PAGE' POP-UP
*/
#editBookmarkPanelContent
{
min-width:600px !important;
}

I also use the theme "classic compact", which allows me to move the divider between "location bar" and "search bar" wherever I like-- and so, to make the pop-up occur close to the center of my window, I just dragged that vertical divider to make the searchbar a little wider, moving the "Star" control closer to the middle of the screen. If you're using default theme on your small monitor, maybe check out classic compact-- it saves several pixels of height.
Make a fire FOR a man, he'll be warm for the rest of the night. Set a man ON fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

bozz wrote:
Alice0775 wrote:You can move the popup.

#editBookmarkPanel{
}

Thank you Alice. Getting close. I place my urlbar top-left on the menubar with a width of 255px and using 800x600 resolution.

#editBookmarkPanel{
}

That puts the popup closer to the page center nicely but when clicking Bookmark This Link, margin-top works but margin-right doesn't move the popup the same as Bookmark This Page. It shows on the left side of the page.

Also, do you know which chrome folder #editBookmarkPanel is in?

use margin-left for Bookmark This Link.
AlanMintaka

Post by AlanMintaka »

This combo in userChrome.css works for me:

/*
* FF3.0, Move CTRL-D bookmark popup to center region of window
*/
#editBookmarkPanel{
margin-right:-500px !important;
}
/*
* FF3.0, FORCE BIGGER DISPLAY OF FOLDER TREE WITHIN 'BOOKMARK THIS PAGE' POP-UP
*/
#editBMPanel_folderTree
{
min-width:400px !important;
min-height:600px !important;
}

/*
* FF3.0, FORCE WIDER DISPLAY OF 'BOOKMARK THIS PAGE' POP-UP
*/
#editBookmarkPanelContent
{
min-width:400px !important;
}

Thanx to Alice and Rick for these snippets !!!

Now I am complete.
Big Al Mintaka
"I was a victim of coicumstances !!! Woo woo woo !!!"
Bozz

Post by Bozz »

Got it. Placing my urlbar far left side on menubar with 800x600 resolution. Looks funky but it works. Thanks much.

/* Center Bookmark This Page/Link popup */
#editBookmarkPanel {
margin-left: 265px !important;
}

/* Stops flicker with popup and Openbook extension */
#mainPopupSet  #editBMPanel_folderTree,
#mainPopupSet  #editBMPanel_newFolderBox {
visibility: visible !important;
}

keithwins

Re: FF3 "Bookmark this page" popup

Post by keithwins »

Wow: so does this mean the bookmark page will remain unresizable and unmovable except by obscure code adjustments? That's really a mess for those of us who bookmark wide and deep (many bookmarks, many folders, and great depth).

Keith
Win XP Pro, Thunderbird 3.0, Firefox 3.5.6
Core 2 Duo
SK.

Post by SK. »

Moving to Firefox Support.
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
rickst29

Re: "really a mess"

Post by rickst29 »

keithwins wrote:Wow: so does this mean the bookmark page will remain unresizable and unmovable except by obscure code adjustments? That's really a mess for those of us who bookmark wide and deep (many bookmarks, many folders, and great depth).

Keith, it's not a "big deal", just cut and paste. Actually, although I voted for making it resizable, it's way nicer this way: it pops up exactly the way I like, really big, WITHOUT needing to gab the frame border and drag it to size. Give it a try!
Make a fire FOR a man, he'll be warm for the rest of the night. Set a man ON fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
SilverTonguedDevil

Post by SilverTonguedDevil »

The new and "improved" bookmark arrangement is annoying at best. For my copy of FF3, that star does not respond at all. The most annoying feature, however, is the fact that I can only see 8 folders in my list so a lot of scrolling is needed. Truly a faulty build that I am sure will get fixed.... someday.

If I merely click on the Bookmarks menu, it drops to full-screen height so I can see 33 folders at once on my 17" display. Let's hope the development team will hear, and listen to, our squawks and give us back a usable bookmarks view.

By the way, I'm not really concerned with how fast I can bookmark a page. I can always just press enter immediately after command +D (Mac) and get it bookmarked at the bottom of my list but that would be idiotic.
SilverTonguedDevil

Post by SilverTonguedDevil »

Oh, my god. Can it get any worse? It seems bookmarks that are not in folders are invisible in my "Organize Bookmarks" window. Does that mean I have a faulty download of FF3 or does it mean there is some hidden secret for organizing bookmarks after I have already opened "Organize Bookmarks"?
AlanMintaka

Post by AlanMintaka »

SilverTonguedDevil wrote:Oh, my god. Can it get any worse? It seems bookmarks that are not in folders are invisible in my "Organize Bookmarks" window. Does that mean I have a faulty download of FF3 or does it mean there is some hidden secret for organizing bookmarks after I have already opened "Organize Bookmarks"?

In the "Organize Bookmarks" window there is a new item called "Bookmarks Menu" found inside the "All Bookmarks" folder. If you select that in the left pane of the window, the bookmarks normally visible in the menu will appear in the right pane.

Are those the ones you're talking about, or did I get your question wrong?

Have a good one,
Big Al Mintaka
"I was a victim of coicumstances !!! Woo woo woo !!!"
rickst29

Post by rickst29 »

SilverTonguedDevil wrote:The new and "improved" bookmark arrangement is annoying at best. For my copy of FF3, that star does not respond at all. The most annoying feature, however, is the fact that I can only see 8 folders in my list so a lot of scrolling is needed. Truly a faulty build that I am sure will get fixed.... someday.

absolutely, positively WON'T be changed in FF3. but easily solved, just follow instructions (in previous posts) about making the pop-ups taller and/or wider.

SilverTonguedDevil wrote:It seems bookmarks that are not in folders are invisible in my "Organize Bookmarks" window....

STD, (ahem, what a nickname :shock: ) if you look carefully you'll see your unsorted bookmarks in both the very bottom of the folder list ("unfiled bookmarks" folder), and probably also in the right panel (same folder, same name), and a few of them will probably also still be present in "recently bookmarked", a non-folder collection with a blue tab at the top of your folder tree.

Please do try the userchrome.css code snippets which Alice and I provided earlier-- it's the first step on becoming a Firefox "power user". Make these pop-ups look like YOU want them to, you don't have to settle for the default layout. 8-) 8-) You should also probably get Alice's newest "patch for library" extension from AMO "experimental", here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7103 (Being 'experimental' you must login to get it.) It helps a lot! Thanks, Alice!
internick101

Post by internick101 »

Hi, I am trying to make the "Book This Page/Ctrl+d/Star" and "Bookmark This Link" dialogs pop-up in the exact same positions, but for some reason, using this code they don't align horizontally (it does align vertically) - the BTL dialog is always more than 10px below the position of the other one, regardless of what the margin-top value is. This is the code:

#editBookmarkPanel {
 margin-top: 15px !important;
 margin-right: 21px !important;
 margin-left: 411px !important;
}

Edit: Above code works now (dialogs align horiztonally), but only with the bookmark star removed:

/* Remove the bookmark star icon */
#star-button {display: none !important; }

Edit: For people who don't want to remove the star, this might mean that it's not possible to make the dialogs pop-up in the exact same position horizontally (i couldn't figure it out, but maybe someone else can).
Last edited by internick101 on July 28th, 2008, 3:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bozz

Post by Bozz »

Mine does the same thing but I don't know a fix. I had forgotten about that since it isn't much difference.