Whitehart Development [Discontinued]

Discuss application theming and theme development.
DonGato

Re: Whitehart Development [FFX+TB]

Post by DonGato »

I might add it as an option as I like better the current style. :P
Pitch

Post by Pitch »

DonGato wrote:Pitch, I already said that I know that the selected tab isn't as good as before but there will be no fix soon. I don't have the time needed to find a solution and I invested already a lot on fixing this theme for 3.0. About the options box, look at the error console when you click the save options button and post me the error message you get.

It just looked to me like my tab bar was bigger and more wrapped than yours in your posted image. Maybe it's just the perspective, I don't know. Also, I don't get any error message when I hit save on the options box, it just doesn't close or save the options. Hitting close will actually close it, but the options still aren't saved. Thanks again for your work.
0ddball

Post by 0ddball »

Nice theme ! =D>

DonGato wrote:
al_9x wrote:
  1. it seems you added options to the about dialog, thank you, however clicking ok doesn't close it, and closing from the title bar doesn't set the selected options
  2. the tab bar now has a solid bottom border like before but the inactive tabs also have a dashed bottom border. This double border does not seem to me to be a change for the better.

First should be fixed by now.

Not in my case:

- Firefox 3.0
- Whitehart 3.0

Can't still save options set in the Whitehart about box... :(
sanderg

Post by sanderg »

Just to say thanks, glad that a 3.0 version is now available! Hope it will be made for Thunderbird3 as well ;) since 3.0a2 is already quite workable, especially with IMAP.

0ddball, same problem here about saving options in the about dialog, btw. Save does not respond and Close does not save. Both on Linux and on Windows.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Ok. This will do until I find another (more proper) solution for the preferences:

http://dongato.dyndns.org/whitehart/whi ... 0.1-fx.jar
sanderg

Post by sanderg »

DonGato wrote:Ok. This will do until I find another (more proper) solution for the preferences:

At least that shows an error which may explain why it did not work:

Permission denied! Browse to "about:config" in your browser
and set "signed.applets.codebase_principal_support" to true
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

"may"... no, it's the root of the issue. With Firefox 2 all these things worked properly but it seems they tightened security a lot with FFX3 and now I need to learn how things are properly done but I can't find the info. Any help would be appreciated.

In case you didn't get it, you need to set that in about:config or the preferences will not work. Is that or editing userChrome.css by hand. :P
sanderg

Post by sanderg »

Yup, reading the background here your 'more proper' solution possibly relates to script signing:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/securit ... ripts.html
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

That process is a pain in the ass. I would better remove any customization that using such a stupid and complex approach.
This is leading to insecurity by the means of better security. The same effect done by Vista's UAC, people just disable it.
al_9x

Post by al_9x »

DonGato wrote:Ok. This will do until I find another (more proper) solution for the preferences:

The options work again, that's great, thank you. The way it is now is not really a problem, you only set the options once and never bother with them again (typically) so a little inconvenience is tolerable. I am far more concerned with the visuals which you have to look at all the time.

1. double bottom border on inactive tabs
  2. top border on the active tab

I realize you know about these, but I felt compelled to emphasize that the theme looks broken with them. Also a minor thing, the tab bar and tab hight has increased a tiny bit relative to 2.x
wiper

Post by wiper »

Thanks for updating this, I've been using this theme for so long it just doesn't seem comfortable using anything else.

The only thing that really stands out to me is the statusbar size compaired to 2.6 for ff2, here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about:
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Something in your status bar is increasing the size. That is not how it should be, look:

ZonkSJx

Post by ZonkSJx »

Hey DonGato

I noticed on the earlier version of Whitehart for Firefox 3.0 the secure websites bar is highlighted which looks
great.

On the beta version, the same bar looks like this:

I don't know if this issue has been addressed. Thought I would send a couple screenies to better visualize
the bug

Great work on updating the theme by the way. I've been using this theme for a while now.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Well, it's time for a new release that with some extra help (thanks Aronnax!) should please all of you. Image

The release is numbered 3.0.2 and has this changes:
BUGFIX: Whitehart tab integration restored [thanks to Aronnax!]
BUGFIX: autocomplete popup didn't show properly when only one result was present
BUGFIX: added warning when using options without proper security relaxing
CHANGE: replaced stars by medals in recomended addons
CHANGE: removed inset borders in some places (didn't blend well with the style)
CHANGE: removed hover/active borders in many place to standarize effects
CHANGE: updated some images and objects colors
CHANGE: improved color picker style
CHANGE: changed favicon identity glow effect

You can get it here: http://dongato.dyndns.org/whitehart/whi ... 0.2-fx.jar

Now the responses to you all:

nvc, I didn't forget about you but is hard for me to track what could be making Firefox window fully disappear when using that extension. Have you tried other themes to see if there is some relation we can make?

al_9x, the background tabs should now have the color used in 2.x releases. The dark theme is also the same as before. You also have the previous style fully implemented as I said before (say thanks to Aronnax that helped me on that one). It seems your emphasizing worked but next time I might apply some... Image ... to my testers. Image

Pitch, I think that now it should be similar to previous version but might have (really) minor differences that are sometimes intended. It has now 1 pixel less and better curved borders thanks to FFX3 better radius implementation. Let me know if there is still something wrong with those extensions you use to mod tabs.

dasuser, I finally understood what you were talking about and I agree 100% with you so there is no need to make a modification but instead add it officially to the theme. Thanks for the collaboration.

0ddball, let me know if you still have problems with the options panel. To all, this will remain like this as I get confirmation that Mozilla don't want us to have JS code in themes, and there is the possibility of the current code being broken after a new security update. Keep an eye on it.

sanderg, you know my policy. In the case of Thunderbird I might start working a little sooner (in RC stage) as I use it a lot and I can't stand thinking on using the default theme at all, not even temporarily. Image
Can you point me to a features explanation for 3.0 and maybe some site with screen captures of the new features? You might tempt me that way. Image

wiper, again, an extension is doing that to your status bar. You might want to disable all and enable one by one. You don't have any old userChrome customization, don't you?

ZonkSJx, yes, a mistake from my part when I made the packaging (forgot to rename a file). Now it should be working properly.

Well, now I need some vacations. I'm already tired... Image

CU all!
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

nvc wrote:DonGato, you don't need a twitter account to install the twitterfox add-on. The issue can be replicated even without a twitter account.

Well, I fixed the issue so you can re-download 3.0.2 and let me know if there is any other issue with this extension.