Speed up Acrobat 6

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
mikes

Post by mikes »

James wrote:On my old computer, with the 5.05 version I have I kept only the EWH32.api and search.api and it works great even though I get errors if I try update in preferences. I couldn't find the printme.api as suggested in the first post.

It went from some 30 seconds cold start to no more the 5-10 seconds cold start and it works great still.

Thank you very much, James.

Mikes
javageek

Plugin information

Post by javageek »

There's already a directory called "Optional", which has a readme.txt file and says that you should put unused plug-ins there.

And if you care about a specific plugin (like weblink), load the Reader with all plugins and then go to 'Help-> About Adobe plug-ins". There you can see not only the name and description of the plugins, but also the dependencies (like ESCript for weblink).
mikes

Post by mikes »

Thanks, Javageek. That´s very useful to know.
Greg K Nicholson

Post by Greg K Nicholson »

Does anyone know of a (preferably open source) alternative to Adobe's PDF reader for Windows? I'm just looking for something that'll display PDFs and perhaps print them. Oddly enough OpenOffice.org is only able to create them, but not read/edit them...
y3k

Post by y3k »

to edit them you need adobe writer, or whatever its called and yes they want $$$/£££ for it
[ ♦ Win7 Firefox 19 ♦ PowerUser ♦ ]
Greg K Nicholson

Well they're not getting it! :)
As long as I can export to PDF with OOo I don't mind - it's not often that I want to edit PDFs. I just found it odd that there was (apparently) no open source/freeware PDF reader... :?
Radiowriter

Post by Radiowriter »

mqwtm wrote:Does anyone know of a (preferably open source) alternative to Adobe's PDF reader for Windows?

What's wrong with Acrobat? It does what you want and it's free. Why do you need an alternative?

I use Acrobat Reader 5.0.8 on Linux (which is the most current you can get for Linux) because I wasn't satisfied with the image quality and manipulation options in the standard Linux pdf viewers. The UI sucks but the viewer is awesome.
Sarcasm - Another service I offer.
Firefox 3.0 :: XP
Greg K Nicholson

Radiowriter wrote:
mqwtm wrote:Does anyone know of a (preferably open source) alternative to Adobe's PDF reader for Windows?

What's wrong with Acrobat? It does what you want and it's free. Why do you need an alternative?
Mainly 'cos alternatives are usually better/faster, and I don't like the built-in advert. Granted, I don't need an alternative, just wondered if one existed.
MORA

Post by MORA »

mqwtm wrote:Does anyone know of a (preferably open source) alternative to Adobe's PDF reader for Windows? I'm just looking for something that'll display PDFs and perhaps print them.

You can read PDF's in GSview, but Acrobat's anti-aliasing and PDF handling is a little better (although Acrobat sucks when using Type-3 fonts). GSview can also handle PostScript files, though.
They're funny things, Accidents. You never have them till you're having them - Winnie the Pooh
Radiowriter

Post by Radiowriter »

mqwtm wrote:I don't like the built-in advert.

That's enough of a reason right there. I didn't realize it was ad-supported (the linux viewer is not).
Sarcasm - Another service I offer.
Firefox 3.0 :: XP
Lost User 8002

Post by Lost User 8002 »

Radiowriter wrote:
mqwtm wrote:I don't like the built-in advert.

That's enough of a reason right there. I didn't realize it was ad-supported (the linux viewer is not).

There isn't an advertisement in my version of Reader...
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

The advert is small enough for me to ignore. It's not like I read PDF files all the times, anyways.
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

Adobe Reader SpeedUp is a simple application that was created to help make the loading time of Adobe's Adobe Reader software bearable for everyday use. AR SpeedUp only needs to be used once (a process taking only a few seconds) and then your 'Reader will be transformed forever.

What's New:
- ARSU can now maintain more than one settings profile.
See Settings Profiles in ReadMe.txt for more information.
- If there are multiple installations of Adobe Reader, then
the latest installed version will be used as default.
- Added more plugin descriptions to Plugin Help.
- Minor changes.

download: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bootblock/ ... peedup.zip

y3k

Post by y3k »

Posted by y3k: Sun 21st Dec 2003 6:48am
EWH32.api

and whatever search is, or you might get away with just EWH32.api

oh and 6.01 is out

oh and theres a small tool (for 6) if your tech shy
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail.ph ... 1069854583

but you did do it better :)
[ ♦ Win7 Firefox 19 ♦ PowerUser ♦ ]
Blunted

Post by Blunted »

Acrobat 6.01 may be slow and bloated (43MB for 6.01) compared to Acrobat 4.0 (around 10 MB), but I can't live without the auto-scrolling feature, and alanjstr's tip pretty much solves the speed problem. Check out auto-scrolling in the view menu if you haven't tried it.