Gmail Crashing in Firefox 3

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
spacebear

Re: Gmail Crashing in Firefox 3

Post by spacebear »

Hey LoudNoise, thanks for the tip!

Just tried out safe mode... didn't work out. Firefox crashed after one or two minutes of AJAX-surfing (PassPack, Remember the Milk, GMail, GCal, Netvibes)...

Breakpad error messages are not being sent out. Firefox just crashes, with a nice "fade-to-pale"-Vista-animation and the obligatory hint that Vista couldn't find any reasons for crashing.

:cry:
I used to spell badlie, but now I got worser.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

@Spacebar
Do any other open tabs have flash in them, ads.. youtube, etc...? If so, try closing all tabs that have any hint of 'flash', and then try your gmail for awhile. See if when you crash next the crash-reporter does not 'magically' appear. There is a known issue that flash prevents the crash-reporter from firing.

Maybe that way we can get a good crash-report to work with.
Aendruh

Post by Aendruh »

Same problem with Gmail here, even though I noticed it for the first time today. Firefox crashes not matter if I want to sign out of Gmail or close the window itself. Even happens if I have no other tabs or windows open, i.e. if Gmail is the only one!

Post by Guest »

LoudNoise wrote:Clear your cache. Tools --> Options --> Advanced --> Network, Clear Now button.

If you are still having problems delete any cookies that have to do with the site. Tools --> Options --> Privacy, Show Cookies button

If you are not using Windows see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Menu_differen ... x,_and_Mac

###############
This Solution work in my Machine! Thanks!
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Littlemutt wrote:There is a known issue that flash prevents the crash-reporter from firing.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Question. There have been a couple of reports that this was caused by changes in the gmail code that has been fixed. If that is so clear your cache again and see what happens. If it works would someone please report back here?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
spacebear

Post by spacebear »

Thanks Littlemutt and LoudNoise for the hints, I've cleared my cache again and waiting for something to happen (or hopefully nothing). If that doesn't work out, I'll have a check for flash-whatevers so that we'll hopefully get a crash report.

EDIT: I just remembered that GMail itself uses Flash (for chat notifications and stuff), so it's not a real miracle that Firefox won't send an error report when this tab is closed...
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

LoudNoise wrote:Question. There have been a couple of reports that this was caused by changes in the gmail code that has been fixed.

Although I didn't have Gmail crash, for a good number of days it was loading extremely slowly
...especially the star things on Gmail. Today? It is all fine ('just fine')
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
spacebear

Post by spacebear »

Firefox just crashed again. Dammit!

Although Gmail was open at that moment, I didn't work with it and it was in a non-active tab. Actually I'm not sure anymore if it is really GMail or something else that causes the problem... But on the other hand, as far as I can remember, Firefox stays absolutely stable as long as I don't open GMail with it. After that, unpredictable crashes can happen...
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

What happens if you only have Gmail open? Does it always crash sooner or later?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
spacebear

Post by spacebear »

LoudNoise wrote:What happens if you only have Gmail open? Does it always crash sooner or later?

Hm, I've just tried this out for a couple minutes, clicking around in GMail, and no crash so far.

Maybe it's some AJAX stuff from one site interfering with another...? :|
hozt

Post by hozt »

It's all the same.

Safe-mode, cookies, no cookies, re-installed, etc.
Either it loads extremely slow, most of the pure Ajax websites, or it just random crashes.

Gmail is one of the pure ajax websites i usually attend, and it's like i said 90% of the times it's shitty , other times, working fine.

I've conveniently changed my link to: http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=1

So i get redirected immediately to the older version, sad but true.
EEB45WL

Post by EEB45WL »

Well I reported this problem some time ago: it started in FF3 RC3 (I had run 3 Beta 5 and RC2 without problems). Nobody believed me: all they said was "it's fine here". First I downloaded Firefox 3 Portable, which is a .exe not a program; all was fine (all add-ons etc. worked). Then I downloaded RC2 from FileHippo.com - and I had problem Gmail again. So I went back to FF3 beta 5 again from FileHippo - you can even download FF1 there if you want. All was well. Then Firefox automatically upgraded me to FF3; funnily enough this time all is OK except its slow I think although my useless internet provider (Free.fr) may be in part responsible.

Good luck,
Paul
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

It's best not to get Mozilla files from third parties. You never know where they have been or what they have picked up.

You can always get them from Mozilla.
spacebear

Post by spacebear »

I got my file from one of the official mirrors on "download new firefox NOW omg!!!11 gunna have sum world record" day, so I guess my copy is fine...?

Sorry I'm drunk, Germany just reached Euro finals :-" :banana: \:D/