About the Firefox Artwork

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
bengoodger

About the Firefox Artwork

Post by bengoodger »

Some of you may have noticed that the new Firefox artwork (icons, about box graphics etc) have not been checked into cvs.mozilla.org.

The new logos, like the name, are trademarks of The Mozilla Foundation. In addition, this new artwork is not licensed under the same licenses as the source code. From the license panel of the Windows installer:

"You are not granted any rights or licenses to the trademarks of the
Mozilla Foundation or any party, including without limitation the
Firefox name or logo."

From what I understand, this does not preclude you from using Firefox artwork if you wish to link to mozilla.org, we're just trying to prevent people from identify themselves AS us, or create builds that masquerade as official builds.

The Mozilla Foundation will be using this new iconography to differentiate official builds from third party ones, so that end users always know that they are using a bona fide Mozilla build when they see the Firefox logo. As a result, permission to use these graphics in custom builds is explicitly NOT granted automatically. Please contact staff@mozilla.org if you have questions.
djst

Post by djst »

Unannouncing.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Making sticky until someone puts something in the FAQ
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
djst

Post by djst »

There's no FAQ for these things. Moving to Builds, if it's really still needed...