symantec blocking Mozilla after latest firefox update

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
B52guy

symantec blocking Mozilla after latest firefox update

Post by B52guy »

I downloaded the latest update for Firefox (1.9.0.3071 and suddenly symantec firewall is blocking all my attempts to use firefox. Have opened up symantec and allowed firefox (normally it asks after a new download...this time it didn't, so I am assuming there is something wrong with the firefox download).

I also complety deleated firefox and reinstalled a new version...no help. If i turn off the firewall, no problems with firefox. If I turn on symantec, no go. I tell symantec to allow firefox, and it accepts the command, but still won't allow firefox through.

Wierder is when I use explorer to go to any Mozilla.org site, I get blocked with Symantec firewall. What has happened?
Daifne

Re: symantec blocking Mozilla after latest firefox update

Post by Daifne »

There is nothing wrong with Firefox, but there is a lot wrong with Symantec. I've seen it block other Symantec programs after Live updates. Garbage program. You can do much better for a lot less money.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

The only way to 'fix' Symantec is to just delete from the rules any/all entries there for Firefox / Mozilla. Close and restart Firefox, now you get a prompt to allow access - grant access to all the presented prompts.

Manually created rules generally still continue to block for whatever reason (Insert Symanted here).
Alice

Post by Alice »

tshah21

Post by tshah21 »

I have a solution, but I don't think it'll work. Try disabling Symantec whenever you want to use the Internet. Then after you're done using Firefox, re-enable Symantec.
Hey, I'm Tshah21! :D I'm a noob on the site, :cry: but I may know more about Firefox than you think. ;) And, sorry, only Firefox. But screw that. :lol:
steviex

Post by steviex »

@ tshah21... The whole point of having the program is to block bad things, while letting the good things through.

Do NOT advise the user to just disable his Firewall without at least advising them to activate the Built-in Firewall to replace it.
It is important that you protect your system with something. The Norton Firewall just needs configuring correctly.

The best options for the user is to either get Symantic working, or remove Symantic and Install another product from another Supplier (or use the Built in System)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

What version of FF are you trying to use? 1.9 isnt the latest...you might try 2.0 or 3.0 from here:
Firefox 3: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
Firefox 2: (This is the installation file from the ftp site) http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0.0.14/win32/en-US/Firefox%20Setup%202.0.0.14.exe
Firefox 2.0.0.15 (not released yet): http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html

It seems apparent you are using a 'real time' protection program.

Try uninstalling both programs and reboot your pc. Install FF first then reboot again to get everything set and running. Check that those sites do work without Symentec.

Re-install Symentec and see if those sites are still available.

I was using a Norton AV program and told to dump it and start using AVG (just search on avg for the free offering). I havnt had a problem since. I now use it with their free updates but dont use it for 'real time' services - just frequently scan my whole PC during the night.

Bruce
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
Handle With Care

Post by Handle With Care »

Firefox 2.0.0.15 is now released and even pushed via auto update.
AMD A8-3800 APU Radion HD Graphics 2.40 GHz; 64-bit Win-7 SP1 Home Premium w/latest patches; Fx 91.0.1 (64-bit); Tb 92.0B3(64bit)
EFnet oper irc.Prison.NET