Firesomething 1.0.9

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
old momokatte

Firesomething 1.0.9

Post by old momokatte »

Firesomething Extension 1.0.9 is no longer available. Firesomething 1.1 has been released and a new topic started here. Version 1.1 is not compatible with previous versions, and I have added most of the feature suggestions from this topic, so I wanted to start a fresh topic.

-------description for 1.0.9 follows-------

What it does:
- Does awful things to the product name of your favorite browser

Yes, this is really an extension! You can blame Dunderklumpen for the idea. I only created this topic so people can have a laugh and offer suggestions for further improvements. ;)

:banana:

UPDATES:
1.0.9 - "firesomething.aboutimage.URL" allows you to change the logo in the About dialog without having to mess around with userChrome.css.
1.0.8 - More hidden preferences. "firesomething.spacers" is a new randomizer list for the space between the vendor name and the product name. If you're upgrading from a previous version, you'll want to remove the spaces from your "firesomething.vendors" list. New preference "firesomething.useragent.comment" is for adding original browser info to your UA string. Check the extension page for details. Also made the UA string box in the About dialog a little bigger, and GPL'ed the extension for the sake of modders and redistributors.
1.0.7 - Hidden preference "firesomething.modify_useragent" has been added. Off by default, use at your own peril (don't yell at me if some websites don't recognize "Firegiant/0.8")!
1.0.6 - about:firefox, because I know you want it. And Ctrl+` generates a new name.
1.0.5 - about:firesomething, thanks to Torisugari. :mrgreen:
1.0.4 - Modifies the About dialog, and has a hidden preference (firesomething.samename) so you can force all browser windows to use the same generated name. Also packaged 8:12 for fun, but it's not about:firesomething yet. Full release details here.
1.0.3 - Now it modifies the "About Mozilla Firefox" item in the Help menu as well. It should work with all language packs, let me know if it doesn't.
1.0.2 - Now the extension changes the entire product name, using three randomized parts (vendor, prefix, name). Man, this MozillaZine Spacemonkey browser is great!
1.0.1 - Improved title update code, added sanity check for an empty preference string, and changed some of the animals in the default list (Fireant, Firebug, Fireoyster).
Last edited by old momokatte on March 21st, 2004, 7:19 am, edited 16 times in total.
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

Ok, I am to blame. Now would it be possible to have a textfile so that the name is picked randomly?

And by the way - I am posting this from FireDuck.
old momokatte

Post by old momokatte »

The name is picked randomly! Read the instructions :)
esavior

Post by esavior »

mwahahaha I love it. I set mine up to fantasy-style
firesomething.names: faerie,goblin,troll,ogre,elf,dwarf,gnome,hobbit,barbarian,gnoll,kobold,dragon,fox
Currently: Fireogre
Mindjunk
I didn't hear no bell...
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

I did - nice one, very grateful. :-)
A really silly extension. Sure not needed but then again - everything does not have to be all that serious either.

Again - thank you!

(Firekangaroo)
esavior

Post by esavior »

It would be cool, if the list was a XML file. Cause I get the feeling that this list is going to grow as I think of more creatures, and it would be nice to have a backup for when firebird 0.9 comes out :)

Edit+++

Changed my mind. lol it would be cool but it works as is. I can just back up my string before I upgrade. :)
Last edited by esavior on February 12th, 2004, 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mindjunk
I didn't hear no bell...
old momokatte

Post by old momokatte »

Open the prefs.js file in your profile folder and copy the firesomething.names preference to a text file. Then you'll have a backup you can paste into any profile. 8)

Or...just save the comma-delimited list to a text file, and paste it into about:config whenever you need to. ;)
esavior

Post by esavior »

Yea that works :) I relized after I posted it how silly I sounded lol.
Mindjunk
I didn't hear no bell...
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

No problem - nothing can ever get silly in this thread.
I have to make this one available at our site so that all Swedish users sees it.
old momokatte

Post by old momokatte »

Nope, no silliness here. Just stirring the undercurrents and diluting a trademark that's just barely seen the light of day...
Mozilla Fireklumpen

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

This is just plain awsome. Now spread the word good people!
The solution is here - name it to whatever you want.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Dunderklumpen wrote:Ok, I am to blame.

Those of us in the know have been blaming you for a long time for a long list of things that we need someone to blame for. I, for one, have just added "transmogrification" to my list of things to blame you for....
soccer_dude182

Post by soccer_dude182 »

Is the link down? I can't get it to install..
old momokatte

Post by old momokatte »

Nope, my server seems to be up and running normally. The file's only 3KB too, which should take less than a second to transfer -- even on dialup.
rmjb

Post by rmjb »

Will it be added to the extension sites?

- rmjb