user.js doesn't work

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Bender Diode

user.js doesn't work

Post by Bender Diode »

As the subject says, I can't get the user.js file to do anything (like change the reply header). I'm certain that I have the file in the right location, and I copied and pasted the syntax. I even went to the mailnews.js file and set the header option to "4" (user defined). Still didn't work. Running latest ver of T Bird on Win 2K. Any ideas?

Post by Guest »

If on windows and you used notepad to edit the file be sure that notepad didn't automatically apped a .txt to the filename so that it ends up like user.js.txt.
Bender Diode

Post by Bender Diode »

Anonymous wrote:If on windows and you used notepad to edit the file be sure that notepad didn't automatically apped a .txt to the filename so that it ends up like user.js.txt.
Nope, made sure of that. Did you get it to work? Did you have to change the mailnews.js file (or any others)? If it works for you, where exactly did you put the file? Thanks.
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

Or if you edit it from outside - shut Firefox down first.
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

Or if you want to edit it with FF running, get the ChromEdit extenison
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970
Bender Diode

Post by Bender Diode »

couldabeen wrote:Or if you want to edit it with FF running, get the ChromEdit extenison
OK, got it working...stupidly, I didn't go down one folder deep enough in the path (duh!). Next question is, how do you change the quoting character from the boring ">" to something a little more creative? Thanks folks.
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

Search the TB forums from the right side of the screen=========>>>>>>

There are post about the ">".
Bender Diode

Post by Bender Diode »

couldabeen wrote:Search the TB forums from the right side of the screen=========>>>>>>

There are post about the ">".
I've been searching and searching...I can't find anything on changing the ">" quote character. Somebody must know the answer...PLEASE....

Post by Guest »

Somebody out there must know how to change the quote character...PLEASE, just point me to the file that it's in and I'll find it. Thanks much...
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

You should have put this in another post.
But try this link from a forum search that took all of 5 minutes to find.
Replacing the " >"
Bender Diode

Post by Bender Diode »

couldabeen wrote:You should have put this in another post.
But try this link from a forum search that took all of 5 minutes to find.
Replacing the " >"
Thank you for the admonishment. I did put this in another post a couple of times. No one responded. I also did try the search, but could only find information as useful as the link that you posted, which is not at all. Thank you for the reply though.