How To Hide Local Folder?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
war59312

How To Hide Local Folder?

Post by war59312 »

Hey,

Is there anyway to complete hide local folders. I only want me to see the local folders and everyone else not to see them and only see there own account folder.

Thanks,
Will
God Bless America
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Change the directories file access rights by right clicking on the folder in windows explorer, selecting properties, and then the security tab. This will let you block other users from seeing the files unless they have administrative privileges.

If you find that thunderbird changes the file access settings then you need to create a seperate windows user account for thunderbird so that you can explicitly give it permission to access those files, and restrict its abilities to change the file permissions. You may need to launch thunderbird by modifying your shortcut to use the "run as" command.

http://www.win2000mag.com/Articles/Prin ... cleID=7899
war59312

Post by war59312 »

Yea ok yea guess i will just have to do that. Yea thats what I have been doing. Just hope their was an eaiser way. But thanks for the reply nonetheless.

Take Care,
WIll
God Bless America
muhKuh

Post by muhKuh »

that would only keep my thunderbird from displaying the contents of local.folders which has the same effect if i just collapse the local.folders via the minus to the left ... so whats the point?

how could i remove it completely?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

muhKuh

Post by muhKuh »

u kinda missunderstood me ... i dont wanna get rid of all my inboxes - no, i just wanna get rid of the "local folders" thing which doesnt have any purpose for me beside eating up space to the left :D
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You can't remove all of the "local folders" in 0.5. The old solution no longer works, and despite many posts on the subject nobody has found a new workaround yet. The best you can do for now is to reduce 'n' local folders to 1. This is the same problem as reducing 'n' inboxs to 1. Both of them have user preferences in prefs.js that specify a pathname which you can modify to use the same physical files for multiple accounts.

If you had followed the links in my second post in that thread it would have taken you to http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=51845 which is titled "Removing Local Folders in Thunderbird 0.5".
Last edited by tanstaafl on February 14th, 2004, 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
muhKuh

Post by muhKuh »

hmmmm ... its saturday morning and im fuckin lazy - ill have a try later on

thx i guess - if it works
anectine17

Post by anectine17 »

If you'd followed that link you'd have seen that I was successful in removing the local folders from TB 0.5. I am left with only the folders for each of my 2 POP3 accounts. The instructions are as follows;

Posted: Thu 12th Feb 2004 4:17pm SUCCESS !!
I have successfully removed the "Local Folder" in TB 0.5. I now have just the 2 sets of folders for my 2 POP3 accounts. I edited the prefs.js file as follows.

Changed;
"mail.accountmanager.localfoldersserver""server1"
to
"mail.accountmanager.localfoldersserver""server2"

Also changed;
"mail.server.server2.type"none"
to
"mail.server.server2.type"" (removed 'none' from the quotes, left the quotes in place)

Follow at your own risk !!
Clear 4G Wimax. Acer Aspire 3680 w/ Windows XP Pro, 1.83 Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR2. Gateway E4500 w/ Windows XP Home, 3.06 P4, 2GB DDR2. Both w/ Firefox 3.6.8, Thunderbird 3.1.2, Eset Smart Security 4.2.64.12. LAN = Linksys WRT54G-TM w/ DD-WRT v24 (build 12874), overclocked, fan cooled, w/ SD card mod.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Did you have to do a clean reinstall to get this to work?
anectine17

Post by anectine17 »

I had TB 0.4 and delteted it before installing TB 0.5, so yes I did a clean install.
Clear 4G Wimax. Acer Aspire 3680 w/ Windows XP Pro, 1.83 Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR2. Gateway E4500 w/ Windows XP Home, 3.06 P4, 2GB DDR2. Both w/ Firefox 3.6.8, Thunderbird 3.1.2, Eset Smart Security 4.2.64.12. LAN = Linksys WRT54G-TM w/ DD-WRT v24 (build 12874), overclocked, fan cooled, w/ SD card mod.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I couldn't make the first change in your example because I have only one account and it used that value already. So after I replaced "none" with "" I tried setting localfoldersserver to server9, and then with my IMAP server name. I haven't been able to make my local folder disappear.

I tried those values based on swalkers comment: "The code just checks to see if the pref is pointing to a valid server#. If it doesn't, then the local folders are created. If you point the pref to the imap server, the code will think that the local folders exist when in reality they don't."

I'm using a profile that was originally created for 0.4 so it still has the absolute pathnames, rather than relative ones. I also have a local folder directory in my profile. Thats why I was wondering if you had started from scratch with a new profile when you installed 0.5.