[ext] Simple Mail 2.62

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
lovetofly

Re: [ext] Simple Mail 2.62

Post by lovetofly »

Hi, I'm a new user of Simple Mail (and FF 3) and am loving both. A couple of questions if I may:

1. How do I convert the date on the main screen to MM/DD/YYYY from DD/MM/YYYY?

2. I am a former Opera user and would like to import my Opera contacts. Can't seem to find a way to do this with Simple Mail. Is there a utility available for this?

3. I would be nice if the From, To and CC information displayed with the message itself. The screen above, which shows the Subject, Date, Attachment (as well as From, To and CC) is too narrow when there are many email addresses in any of the columns.

All in all, this is a very good product.
garykur

Post by garykur »

Hi i'm new , really green, and need help.
i've installed simple mail newest version. and i can send mail from it so i know it installed ok
but i can't receive any mail. here's what i tried to do to fix it without success
i gone to tools > options > appl> mailto BUT it doesn't list simple mail as a choice.
went to start>default programs >set program access. custom it too doesn't give me a choice to use simple mail.
then i went to change browser from use current to mozilla and that didn't work after a reboot
yet i am using firefox and not sbcglobal
its like my puter can't find simple mail as an option. i've follwed the help stuff but it just wasn't listed.
any help would be super appreciated. i really want to use it instead of going back to sbcglobal for my mail.
DannySutherland

Post by DannySutherland »

I can't remember exactly how I imported my contacts from Opera, but here are a couple of websites that might help (I think these are what I used). By the way, Simple Mail is looking for a .vcf (V card) file.

1) Export your Opera contacts from Opera (should create a .adr file).
2) Go to http://www.hallvord.com/opera/adr2tab.htm and convert your adr file to .csv. For me, when I clicked on the "Send" button, it opened another TAB in FF. I selected all this text and copied it to the clipboard.
2) Then go to http://homepage.mac.com/phrogz/CSV2vCard_v2.html and follow the instructions. On the second Tab, I selected "last name" for the name and of course "email" for the email address. On the 3rd tab, you copy the selected text and open a text editor and create a .vcf text file, which you can import into SimpleMail.

Good luck,
Danny
garykur

Post by garykur »

Danny
thanks but that's not my problem. I don't have Opera. Does does it ask for a .vcf nor do i have .adf.
my problem is nothing shows up in my tools section so there's no way to include mozilla or ff
and nothing shows up in my vista deft to include it either.
wish i had an opera or some other program to convert. But that isn't what the problem.
thanks for the offer i do appreciae it. Gary
lovetofly

Post by lovetofly »

Danny, thanks. I followed your instructions (which, by the way, were very clear and easy to understand) and I think everything is OK.

One question: The imported contacts are surrounded in double quotes. For example, John Smith who has an email address of JSmith@anything.com shows up like this in Simple Maid: "John Smith" "JSmith@anything.com"

Did this happen to you?
Last edited by lovetofly on July 11th, 2008, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
lovetofly

Post by lovetofly »

Garykur, I too am very new to FF and Simple Mail so take what I'm about to post with a grain of salt.

If you're able to send, but not receive, emails I would check your settings in Simple Mail before changing anything else. Launch SM, click Preferences, Edit the email account you're having trouble with. Carefully check what you've entered in the POP3/IMAP tab, including the port number, host and SSL.
garykur

Post by garykur »

and what should it be ??
lovetofly

Post by lovetofly »

Depends on your provider. I can tell you for gmail and Yahoo... let me know if you want/need details.
garykur

Post by garykur »

my server is AT&T my regular address is garykur@sbcglobal.net
POP3/IMAP
HOST POP.SBCGLOBAL.NET
PORT 110
AUTH DEFAULT
LOGIN GARYKUR@SBCGLOBAL.NET
PASSWORD **********
SMTP
HOST SMTP.SBCGLOBAL.NET
PORT 25
LOGIN GARYKUR@SBCGLOBAL.NET
PASSWORD **********
like i said i can send from SM i just can't receive into SM all incoming winds up in my SBCGLOBAL mailbox
i should mention i do use my old sbcglobal home page as my home page with FF
i didn't care for just a google search bar as my home page.
jmiahman

Post by jmiahman »

Before I was able to open simple mail in it's own window now it opens in a new tab in the existing window when I call firefox -simplemail. Is there now another way of doing this?
DannySutherland

Post by DannySutherland »

lovetofly wrote:Danny, thanks. I followed your instructions (which, by the way, were very clear and easy to understand) and I think everything is OK.

One question: The imported contacts are surrounded in double quotes. For example, John Smith who has an email address of JSmith@anything.com shows up like this in Simple Maid: "John Smith" "JSmith@anything.com"

Did this happen to you?

Hi lovetofly,

Thinking back, I think for the step 1 and 2, I had exported my contacts from Thunderbird (I used that for a long time before I switched to Opera) and then used the csv to vcf web site to convert them to vcf format. So, mine do not have the double quotes. One thing you could do is save the results of the adr to csv step into a file and change all the double quotes to null characters with a text editor.

Danny
lovetofly

Post by lovetofly »

Garykur. the server information should be available through sbcglobal's web site. Log in and search their help for POP or IMAP and see if there's anything useful. If not, google the same (search for something like "sbcglobal pop" and see what you can find.
lovetofly

Post by lovetofly »

Danny Sutherland, I played around with the links you provided and was able to convert a tab delimited file that removed the double quotes. The hallword.com site allows for CSV or tab delimited. My first pass was to use the CSV, which is how I got the double quotes. I tried again, using tab-delimited, and it worked like a charm. Of course I had to delete all my previous contacts that were imported with quotes, but that was easy enough to do.

Now I just wish I could figure out how to change that pesky date formatting problem. Would like to see the email date in MM/DD/YYYY format instead of DD/MM/YYYY.
lovetofly

Post by lovetofly »

jmiahman, don't know how to get it to open in a new window, sounds like that may be a FF setting. But to open email in the current tab, click on preferences, general tab, and put a tick mark on "Open in current tab".
jmiahman

Post by jmiahman »

lovetofly:
Before this last release I downloaded from the project page you could open simplemail in it's own window with no navigation bar, bookmarks. It actually looked like a standalone application. It was very useful. I spend quite some time learning how to package this extension for a Linux distribution and I made the mistake of grabbing the latest build that now it seems no longer does this. It seems all to be a waste now. I was just wondering if there's a new way of doing in hope I can recover time wasted. Thanks anyways.