RFC-822 Compatibility Error message using IMAP with Exchange

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
SDA-3

Post by SDA-3 »

I recently started get the following error message:

The current command did not succeed. The mail server responded: The requested message could not be converted to an RFC-822 compatible format.

I use Thunderbird with multiple IMAP accounts and only get the message on an IMAP account using MS exchange. I've moved everything out of my inbox to other folders and still get the error message. I even tried using POP to clear any bad messages that were getting hung up somehow, to no avail.

I can still send and receive messages through Thunderbird, but am no longer able to receive anything on my Blackberry using IMAP. Plus I have to click Ok to get rid of the error message every time I check mail.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

See if its due to a problem with an attachment. You need to compact the inbox to get rid of all traces of moved messages, it might still be reacting to a deleted message.
bkennelly

Post by bkennelly »

If you can, log on through Outlook Web Access, and see if there are any messages left in the Inbox. One of them is probably causing the problem.
SDA-3

Post by SDA-3 »

Thank you. I logged into Outlook Web Access and sure enough, there was an exchange appointment invitation e-mail still sitting in the Inbox. I deleted that and problem solved.
bkennelly

Post by bkennelly »

You are welcome.
mozillaprincess

Thanks!

Post by mozillaprincess »

Hi,

Just thought I'd chime in and tell you that I love you! :D

It worked for me too!!!

I had like a mozillian invites in there that I never even knew existed. I deleted them all and voila.. no more of this error that's been happening for months!

Thank you bkennelly!!!

:: virtual kiss on the cheek! ::
mozillaprincess

Post by mozillaprincess »

i figured i might as well join.. who knows what other goodness i might find here :)
chaiken

Post by chaiken »

bkennelly wrote:If you can, log on through Outlook Web Access, and see if there are any messages left in the Inbox. One of them is probably causing the problem.

worked for me. thanks much, bkennelly!

dc
Thankful-D

Re: RFC-822 Compatibility Error message using IMAP with Exchange

Post by Thankful-D »

Thanks a ton. Worked for me following our Exchange server migration
dmourati

Post by dmourati »

Problem persists for me. Configuration is Thunderbird 2.0.0.14 talking to Exchange 2003. Going into OWA didn't resolve it. Any other troubleshooting I can do? The exchange hosting company wasn't particularly helpful nor did they want to support Thunderbird.
bkennelly

Post by bkennelly »

It is not enough to go into OWA, you must identify an delete the problem entries. They may be meeting invitations, or other items that are not normal e-mail messages.
dmourati

Post by dmourati »

bkennelly wrote:It is not enough to go into OWA, you must identify an delete the problem entries. They may be meeting invitations, or other items that are not normal e-mail messages.

Tried that. The problem is, without access to the server, I have no idea what the "problem entries" might be.

I deleted all the meeting invites, undeliverable messages, and other oddball stuff through OWA but still get the error.
Pharaohamun

Post by Pharaohamun »

For those of you who are connecting to a Exchange server - the process that worked for me since I don't have web access is to use exmerge. I moved all the messages I wanted to keep to another temp folder then used exmerge to remove everything else from the inbox without processing the sub-folders. Once I did this, my error message was gone.
ldivinag

Post by ldivinag »

how can you tell if there's an invitation still sitting there? i'm in our OWA and i cant tell which is which... and i recently got tons of them.
leo d.