Cache purges after each new session starts

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
robies

Cache purges after each new session starts

Post by robies »

My cache purges each time I start a new session and only the last session is ever stored. I have created a new profile and only copied the files as per the knowledge base articles but this still happens. I have checked all the settings and been in to about:config to check but cannot find anything. Can someone help as I really would like to store my cache to the size I have set it to.
I am on version 3
trolly

Re: Cache purges after each new session starts

Post by trolly »

Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Private Data -> Setting
Is clearing the cache checked?
Do you shutdown FF before switching off your machine?
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
robies

Post by robies »

The clearing the cache is unchecked. I seldom shut down the machine and do not log out of windows. When I do shut down FF has been closed.

If I open the cache folder and then start FF all the cache entries disappear and the new ones from the FF start up appear each time I start a new session. It was doing the same thing just before I uninstalled FF 2 and installed FF 3. After I installed FF 3 the cache worked fine but has since stopped saving. I was using Nirsoft MozillaCachView to view my cache. Could it be that? I wonder whether this has changed something in the registry. It only clears when I start a new FF session but my history works fine.
trolly

Post by trolly »

FF clears the cache for example if the cache index is damaged or the "dirty flag" is still set.
In this case you can try Cache Fixer.
You may need to bump it.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Updating_add-ons
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_ins ... _-_Firefox
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
robies

Post by robies »

Trolly,

I cannot get the cache fixer to load. I tried to bump it as you said and got it to load once but could not enable it so uninstalled it. I am unable to load it now as it keeps saying "Cache Fixer 1.0 could not be installed because it is not compatible with Firefox 3.0."
I set the extensions to
extensions.checkUpdateSecurity - false
extensions.checkCompatibility - false
extensions.<GUID>.update.enabled - false (with the file number in GUID)
Should I uninstall the whole of FF3 and start again?
I can save my profile with the bookmarks, passwords etc and then add the extensions from scratch.
Any help will be useful as this is really frustrating.
trolly

Post by trolly »

Hmmm. Sometimes you need to install it in safe mode or use e.g. this addon https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/421 .
The Toolkit addon handles the "bumping" for you.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Do you have cleanup programs running that might clear the cache?
Did you check your security software?
Some can clear the cache and other private data.
If you have Norton 360 then see:
http://support.mozilla.com/kb/Configuring+Norton+360
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls
robies

Post by robies »

trolly, I have loaded cachfixer with toolkit but it still says incompatible with a red asterix. The cache still resets.
dickvl, I have free version AVG 8.0.138 which has installed AVG safe search and AVG Security Toolbar. I have no other clean up programmes.

I am now totally lost. I think there is something related to the "dirty" flag in the cache somewhere and it sounded like cachefixer should have done the trick but I am not so sure it is enabled so maybe not doing what it is supposed to.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

If Firefox is not closed properly then the dirty flag (0x0f:0x01) in the file _CACHE_MAP_ is still set and that causes Firefox to purge the cache on the next launch. If Firefox is closed properly then you should have a problem with the cache or other files in the main profile folder.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

AVG safe search has a history of problems. From the kb, Problematic Extensions section. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions

Problems include crashes, blocking use of ENTER from location bar, and high CPU usage. Part of the "Link Scanner" component installed with AVG 8 Free Anti-Virus.

You might disable that extension and see if the problem goes away.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
robies

Post by robies »

LoudNoise, You are the man thank you. I disabled the AVG safe search and AVG Security Toolbar and the cache does not refresh any more. Funny thing I was thinking of disabling them but just never got around to it.
I will monitor this for a few days and post another response with regards my cache.
As a matter of interest I had two computers with the same problem, both with the AVG safe search and toolbar. One I installed MR Tech Tool Kit & CashFixer as trolly suggested but sadly this never worked and the other I disabled both AVGs and it works fine now.

I would just like to thank all of you for your help with this. Where would we be without all your knowledge and generosity.
Cheers
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Be sure to get back to us and I'll add that the kb.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
robies

Post by robies »

Just an update on this issue.
The cache is not purging any more since I removed the AVG add-ons.

Thanks again for the support.