[ext] Fast Dial 2.1 for Firefox

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
telega

Re: [ext] Fast Dial 1.88 for Firefox

Post by telega »

Fast Dial 2.0 beta

- Works only in Firefox 3
- Bookmarks are stored in Firefox bookmarks ("Fast Dial" subfolder). As a result FD bookmarks should be able to be synchronized by bookmark synchronization extensions.
- Every folder (group) has its own URL. Thus it's possible to open several different folders in different tabs simultaneously, which wasn't possible in old FD version. Folder thumbnails display folder contents.
- Appearance can be specified for each folder individulally.
- Every thumbnail can have arbitrary keyboard shortcut (not necessary Ctrl+1, 2, ...)
- Maximum 3 thumbnails are refreshed simultaneously, theoretically this should prevent loading failures on slow internet channels.
- Conflict with WebDeveloper extension should have been fixed.
- Only English language is supported for now.
- Auto-refreshing of thumbnails on timeout doesn't work yet.
TwisterMc

Post by TwisterMc »

Love the idea for the extension but it conflicts with the Web Developer toolbar. http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/

Issues:
- View CSS - Supposed to open the CSS file in a new tab, instead Fast Dial Shows.
- View Form Information has the same conflict.
- I'm sure there are more.

Possible fix, have the ability to not automatically load Fast Dail. Instead, have it show only when I click the Fast Dial button.

Thanks
telega

Post by telega »

TwisterMc, what version are you talking about?
If 1.90 then I'm avare of this bug and this should have been fixed in 2.0.

Your proposed fix is already implemented in 1.90: look into preferences, "Show"/"Thumbnails in new tabs".
TwisterMc

Post by TwisterMc »

Thanks telega. I'll look closer at my preferences. :)
noner

Post by noner »

@talega
As an developer of my own I must say that I'm more than impressed with Fast dial. Great work that will permanently reside in my FF installation.

I noted that in 2.0 I'm missing Context menu Add to Fast Dial, is this bug or is this deliberate or will be added later?
telega

Post by telega »

@noner

Thank you.
In 2.0 Fast Dial bookmarks are stored in "Fast Dial" subfolder of Firefox bookmarks, so you can add pages to Fast Dial by double-clicking on a "star" icon in browser address bar, the same way as you would to to ordinary bookmarks.
noner

Post by noner »

@telega
Thx, that is something I need to get used to it. Although I prefer context menu option as it is faster. "star" icon puts them in unsorted first and then I need another click to edit put them in Fast dial. In 1.90 I added them to fast dial oppened ne blank page and rearrange fast dial like I want in multiple Folders and sub-Folders.

I noticed few small Bugs:
1. If you edit properties of Existing folder you get Grayed URL always even you use clear and you can't replace info, from my point it should look as new fast dial dialog or just disable clear and/or replace it with remove when editing properties.
2. No folder back button in 2.0

Few new Features I would like, which will speed fast dial (I know it is harder to be made):
1. New Fast Dial shortcut (click on empty fast dial) -> Select folder, currently [...] gets disabled but instead more logical would be to be enabled and on click it should give you browse to fast dial folders which if you select it will be root for your new folder or just shortcut to that folder. (eg. Even I have subfolders it would save me several clicks if I could make shortcut on main fast dial window which will point to fast dial folder Forums -> Mozilla -> Mozillazine and save me three clicks)
2. There should be one new button that will make dropdown list of all currently open tabs and make them available to bookmark on shortcut.
3. Context menu with Folder navigation so that on right click you can make fast dial shortcut directly to desired fast dial Folder.
4. Classic Edit Functions (Copy, Cut, Paste)
5. Context Menu Copy to... >, Move to ... >, Replace (in conjunction with 4. above)
6. Mouse gestures (Single Click execute shortcut, Double click initiate/ends -> Move/D&D mode of focused shortcut)

Sorry for all this but Imagine using Full screen FF (where you do not have "Star" icon as URL bar is hidden) + Fast Dial + 42" TV on 1080p/HDMI + Controlled with ATi Remote Wonder from main room one floor Below your study room. I hope you like this.
telega

Post by telega »

@noner

Bugs:
1. This is done because bookmark system doesn't allow to change type of existing bookmark from folder to non-folder. Only removal of existing folder and then creating non-folder bookmark is possible.
Do you mean that button in Properties dialog should be renamed to "Remove"? Then when actual removal should happen: when user clicks Remove button or when he clicks dialog's OK button?
2. Custom "Back" button was used in old version because standard browser Back button wasn't working with Fast Dial. With new version browser Back button works.

Features:
1. Seems you're suggesting to duplicate existing Firefox functionality. When you double-click star icon in address bar you're given a folder choice.
2. OK, agree with this, will implement.
3. You mean add context menu "Add to Fast Dial" similar to Spee Dial's, which shows all folders as context menu submenus? I guess clicking "star" icon is better.
4. You can manage fast dial bookmarks using firefox bookmark manager, where you can use copy-paste functions. Maybe having copy-paste functions in Fast Dial window is a good idea, not sure.
5. Use Firefox bookmark manager or bookmarks sidebar to manage bookmarks.
6. Haven't understood this.

Oh, now I see why you're asking about context menus. Adding context menu means duplicate existing Firefox functionality and also many people don't like extensions infesting their menu items into browser context menu. Isn't there a way to get urlbar displayed in Fullscreen mode? Otherwise, how do you enter site addresses?
noner

Post by noner »

@telega
bugs:
1. I know that, tricky one :) I had similar issue with one of my project (not with FF) and thing I've done is to make workaround for that limitations. onOkClick -> Remove Folder (warning If it is not empty) -> Created new item according to filled form
2. Will send you PIC of FF in Full Mode later

Features:
1. Yes in some way, but not when you want to enter Fast Dial shortcut manually, I'm not so familiar with FF Add-on SDK but can't you call double star click function from within fast dial (Sorry, but I'm wild guessing).
2. thx
3. I was more referring to context menu like FlashGot has made. where you can add to fast dial folders or change properties. (I could make how Context will Look if you want)
4. Yes I know that, trust me my thumb Hurt after moving several Bookmarks that way and it is easy to miss spot where you want to put it
5. Same as above
6. If i recall correctly this functionality is most common on Macs and Laptops with touchscreens
noner

Post by noner »

Here is Screen Shot:

re Site Addresses: In Most cases there is No need, have made folder structure like in above pic example (Where some of searchers are) where my searchers are and I navigate thrum folder structure to get what I want. That PC is running Win MCE 2005 and when something is needed to type I use numeric pad on remote to type words like SMS on Mobile phone.
telega

Post by telega »

bugs:
1. OK, will check.
2. You can use Backspace button or Alt + Left Arrow to go back.

I tried opening fullscreen mode (F11, right?). The address bar easily appears when you move mouse to the top of the screen so clicking "star" icon should not be a problem.

features
4. Copy-paste functionality already exists in Firefox bookmark manager or bookmarks sidebar (press Ctrl+B). Why wouldn't you use it?
6. Single click execute shortcut - I assume this is already working. Double click starts dragging - this should be easy to impelemt. Maybe better single click drop the item?

UPDATE: "6" appeared not easy to implement. When onclick evet fires on a thumbnail I have to call event.preventDefault() to prevent immediate opening of the link. But if I do this, dblclick event doesn't fire.
noner

Post by noner »

@telega
Check All ATi Remote Wonder Series pictures here http://remotew.free.fr/product.htm same thing is with MCE Remote http://www.pcalchemy.com/popup_product_ ... ent_image= , Cyberlink Remote http://www.vidabox.com/shop/index.php?m ... 2e06066fdc and FireFly remote http://www.snapstream.com/products/fire ... l_Web.html all those remotes are limited with number of keys and assignment and except ATi remotes they do not have Mouse Control which make hitting Star Icon very difficult (even on ATi it is hard to hit).

My system looks lots like that presentation of FireFly Remote and FF is started in Fullscreen Mode. Combination of keyboard shortcuts. are unusable also, also I'm thinking to see how FF will work on Win CE platform where you do not have keyboard at hand at all.

If you know Delphi I could help you a little.
Re double click: I didn't know that FF triggers Single Click always I thought that Event trigger depends on event type so if DoubleClick is placed then Double Click is raised and if Single click then onClick is raised, that is bad thing for FF (and not only for FF as I know other apps that do that too). There is More and More HTPCs on market and FF should position there, your FastDial was/is the solution.
telega

Post by telega »

If you don't have mouse control, then how do you click on thumbnails?

Events: there're 2 events "click" and "dblclick", but when user double-clicks, first "click" event is fired, then "dblclick". So if I don't suppress first "click" event, it causes thumbnail link to be opened, thus dblclick event doesn't fire. If I do suppress firs click event, then thumbnail link isn't opened, but dblclick doesn't fire either.
klumy

Post by klumy »

Hello,

which scale method is the fastest in fast dial?

- java
- userlogos.org
Windows 7
telega

Post by telega »

@klumy,

Sure, default is fastest. However FD 1.90 has a quite large rendering timeout, you can try FD 2.0 it works faster.