[Ext] QuickDrag 2.1.3: SuperDragAndGo's minimalist successor

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
kliu0x52

Post by kliu0x52 »

I've posted 1.0.2. This is minor update; it adds the ability to reverse the background/foreground tab behavior for a particular drag-and-drop by holding down the shift key while dropping (this conforms with the shift-key behavior used elsewhere in Firefox). I also changed the way the description localization is stored, so it shows up on Firefox 2 again.
My addons: NoRedirect | QuickDrag | URL Flipper | TabSubmit
Developers: Make sure to test your addons for RTL compatibility!
bob99

Post by bob99 »

I got some issues with this program which involve a couple other extensions also. Quickdrag doesn't work when I have the Web Search Pro extension installed and the Drag and Drop zones option enabled. When I try to drag a link it opens Web Search Pro's Drag and Drop zones instead. Disabling drag and drop zones makes Quickdrag work. Alternatively, I found that using Superdragandgo does work with Web Search Pro, but it doesn't retain the history of the tabs that another extension, Tab History 1.04, provides. (Tab history makes all new tabs I open remember the history of the parent tab that I opened the new tab from.) But Quickdrag, when it's working, does remember the tab history when I open new tabs.

So...I don't know which extension is causing the problem. Maybe they all are. I've tried the other drag extension programs and they don't solve the problem either. Drag de go works like SuperDragandgo, not remembering the tab history. Easydragtogo works like Quickdrag, in that it doesn't work at all when I have WSP's Drag and drop enabled. And I can't live without either Tab History or WSP. I only need the link dragging feature to work properly. I don't need image dragging or text dragging. Any chance someone can look into this problem?
Merlyel

Post by Merlyel »

bob99
What does Web Search Pro's Drag and Drop zones function do?
kliu0x52

Post by kliu0x52 »

SD&G was replacing parts of the DnD handler, which is a bit more "aggressive". QuickDrag adds itself by registering event listeners, which is a friendlier approach and is less likely to affect other extensions (though it can be affected by other extensions). I haven't tried WSP, but it sounds like WSP should play along nicer with other extensions.
Last edited by kliu0x52 on May 31st, 2008, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob99

Post by bob99 »

merlyel, drag and drop zones is a feature that, when you highlight text and then drag it, a popup screen of "zones" or boxes that you have assigned search engines to will appear and you can drop the text onto these boxes and it will do a search in a new tab/same tab for you. It's very fast and handy. Here's a screenshot
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... view/552/8

So kliu, are you saying there's nothing I can do about it? You say that SD&G was replacing parts of DnD's handler but it sounds like the right thing to do because most people probably wouldn't use the DnD feature to do a search on the link text as much as the non-link text. Plus we can always highlight part of the link and right click and search with WSP. Can you modify Quickdrag to be a little bit more "aggressive" please?
I think that would solve both problems of WSP and TabHistory. I'll get in touch with the developer of WSP and tell him about this too. Maybe he can do something also.
WindBlade

Post by WindBlade »

Hi!

There seems to be a "conflict" with DragToScroll...
With QuickDrag installed, dragging an item to the top of the Browser results in

1. Browser does not scroll up.. This might be the intended behaviour of QuickDrag.. But would be good if it can be changed to be conpatible with DragToScroll
2. In FF3, multiple errors occur in the Error Console.. This should be DragToScroll's fault as it is not FF3 compatible.. :)

Would be good if you can look into this issue..

Thanks,
Henry
kliu0x52

Post by kliu0x52 »

QuickDrag does not call StopPropagation for the dragover event, so I don't see how it could conflict with DragToScroll...
WindBlade

Post by WindBlade »

Hi

Thanks for the prompt response..
Basically, it does not allow DragToScroll to scroll up when an item is dragged to the edge..
This happens in FF2 as well as FF3..

On the other hand, if DeagdeGo was used instead of QuickDrag, the DragToScroll works as intended. :)
DO take alook by installing the extension and try it.. :)
kliu0x52

Post by kliu0x52 »

Alright, I'll take a look later today...
bob99

Post by bob99 »

Hey what about my problem? :)
kliu0x52

Post by kliu0x52 »

kliu0x52 wrote:QuickDrag does not call StopPropagation for the dragover event, so I don't see how it could conflict with DragToScroll...

And of course, what I said there was totally wrong. #-o I had forgotten that Firefox's nsDragAndDrop.dragOver makes a stopPropagation call. QuickDrag version 1.0.3 (just posted) no longer uses nsDragAndDrop to handle dragover events, thus avoiding the stopPropagation call and allowing it to work with DragToScroll. Let me know if there are any further problems...

bob99 wrote:Quickdrag doesn't work when I have the Web Search Pro extension installed and the Drag and Drop zones option enabled.

I took a look at this, and this is definitely a problem with WSP. It simply doesn't play very well with other drag-and-drop extensions. The only reason WSP works with SD&G and DDG is that it checks to see if those extensions are installed, and if they are, it behaves differently (so if all you did was rename the SD&G object from "superDrag" to "ultraDrag", it wouldn't work with WSP because WSP checks for "superDrag").

So you'll probably want to contact the author of WSP and ask him to add QuickDrag to that list of exemptions.

bob99 wrote:Tab History

I was in a hurry earlier, and I think I probably mis-read your post the first time. Just to clarify, you're saying that QD doesn't have a problem with TH, right? So there isn't a tab history problem that I need to investigate?
bob99

Post by bob99 »

I was in a hurry earlier, and I think I probably mis-read your post the first time. Just to clarify, you're saying that QD doesn't have a problem with TH, right? So there isn't a tab history problem that I need to investigate?

Yes that's correct.

Ok I will try to get in touch with him and let him know. Thanks for looking into this.
bberman

Re: [Ext] QuickDrag 1.0.5: SuperDragAndGo's minimalist successor

Post by bberman »

A huge problem for me is that I can no longer drag an RSS link from a live bookmark onto a page and have the link open in a new tab in the background. This was one of the main ways in which I once used SuperDragAndGo. Now, with QuickDrag, dragging a link from a live bookmark simply opens the link in the tab I am already on. This is killing me!! Is there something I am doing wrong, or is there a way I can disable that? Or is this just something that was not included in QuickDrag? If this is not a capability of QuickDrag, please fix it quickly! I'm begging you! It must be pretty simple to add in...

Please. I really don't want to have to switch to the huge elephant that is DragDeGo. But I need to be able to drag RSS links to open them in new tabs.
mawst95

Post by mawst95 »

Hi, is it possible to add functionality where if you highlight/select multiple links in a list then drag it will open ALL of the links instead of just 1?
Sparrows

Post by Sparrows »

Hi,

I was just wondering, that the SuperDragAndGo had a nice feature that allowed you to drag links or text from a popup window to the main Firefox window, which would then handle the search functions.

Will this be implemented in the future releases? Currently if you drag a text to the main window, it doesnt do anything, but if you drag a link, it will open the link on the active tab (which is not that nice).

Oh and keep up the good work :)